Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video - Page 3

Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C Bennett What "funds"?? FREE guns and all you need to do is buy the holsters?? If anything as a Tax Payer ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    What "funds"??

FREE guns and all you need to do is buy the holsters?? If anything as a Tax Payer id be THANKING him for getting/finding such a good deal...Free Guns all you do is pay for Holsters for the guns....and thats bad??
    Great point! Now lets also add that they are bringing business back to the US as well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    What "funds"??

FREE guns and all you need to do is buy the holsters?? If anything as a Tax Payer id be THANKING him for getting/finding such a good deal...Free Guns all you do is pay for Holsters for the guns....and thats bad??

When they already had weapons? makes zero sense. Now you have to retrain, re qualify, train your armorers, and other items. probably should have read the article....

Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller says Smith and Wesson made the department an offer he couldn't refuse: one brand new 40-caliber military and police semi-automatic for every old gun they turned in.

But the new equipment purchases don't stop there.

The office also purchased about a dozen duty weapons, a few compact models for undercover work, as well as equipment belts with holsters for the guns.

"Why we're making this transition... one, the price is right: gun for gun -- you can't hardly beat that deal," Mueller said. "The other piece of it is the ergonomics: this is a more comfortable gun to shoot. If the gun is more comfortable, you're going to get better accuracy."

Deputies and detectives will begin training with the new handguns this Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    At least the media outlet was ignorant enough about guns they weren't freaked out about the guy waving around guns without the actions open.
    Hahaha, that's hilarious. That was actually the first thing I thought when the video started rolling...maybe that's the reason he is only a LTG instead of a 4-Star...
    Last edited by HonorGuard; February 23rd, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
    "If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
    --Author unknown

I don't know why a department would have 'traded back' unless it was the first line of M&P pistols that had the rust problem (which they would fix) but I would personally prefer the M&P.
    The M&P has the three dot sights, CT grips can go in palm swell, great ergonomics,they are all made in the U.S.A., and they are completely AMBIDEXTROUS. You may have a clue which feature is a big plus to me. Glock just recently began making adj grips and reversible mag releases and it still isn't available for all models yet.
    Even the Gen4 Glocks don't have an ambi slide stop. I guess there aren't any many southpaws working for Glock.
    I would love to have a Glock eventually, but for now I'm an M&P fan. Anyway, just my $0.02

QUOTE=dukalmighty;1879128]If they have a fully supported chamber that may be one reason,I was at the range Sunday when a friend was shooting a G23,I heard him yell and asked what was up,he had a case blow out around the base into the magwell,he had some blackened powder residue on his hands and it blew the mag outta his gun .He said hes sending all his 40's in to get Barsto barrels installed[/QUOTE]I thought only revolvers and single-shot pistols had truly 'fully supported barrels', but the term was used in marketing because the support had been increased due to problems with the high pressure .40 caliber rounds. I'm not going to say I'm 100% on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    When they already had weapons? makes zero sense. Now you have to retrain, re qualify, train your armorers, and other items. probably should have read the article....
    Actually these companies usaully throw in the armorer positions as part of the deal. Its part of the negotiations. S&W is giving away the farm right now to agencies trying to out do Glock, and get back in the game.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I own and M&P 40c and a Glock 23....Love both guns...both go bang when I pull the trigger, but when push comes to shove and I need a gun to depend on...I'm reaching for my 23..Nothing against the M&P

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    The department is paying for accessories such as belts and holsters, that they are also getting from S&W to use with their new M&P handguns, as well as for some training. But the guns themselves are coming at no cost to the department. How is it that S&W can afford to do this with so many agencies???
    The real cost of a M&P or Glock is most of the time half of the cost of MSRP. One thing thats food for thought as the continuation retail sales of the M&P continue the more "free" M&Ps can be made.
    Also, the best way to gain market share is to make the other guys R&D useless. From my observations S&W options on arms are starting to take away from Glocks low price game. This is nothing more then S&W getting payback from the 3'rd gen buy back program Glock ran.

Edit: Have a look at this link http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/classified/gxray4.html

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    How would it be possible for them to go back to their Glocks, though, being that they traded them in and no longer have them?

Beats me, I just know that they did.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Actually these companies usaully throw in the armorer positions as part of the deal. Its part of the negotiations. S&W is giving away the farm right now to agencies trying to out do Glock, and get back in the game.
    I would say back in the game is an under statement. They have a ways to go, but the Glock boys are definitely feeling the pressure. You can even tell from a civilian perspective as many Glock fans are switching over to M&P, or feel the need to defend Glock to their dyeing breath because the have a safe full of them. I think they are both fantastic and I would trust my life to either firearm. To me it comes down to where it's made and customer service when all other things are equal. YMMV
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    It probably costs S&W less to refit 20 small police forces with free guns than it costs to run one TV commercial. They can probably do 5 police refits with the money it would cost to run one spiffy full page ad in Field and Stream. This is a great marketing tool and IMO a much better advertising tactic. The police getting new guns = great (free) press for S&W AND they get all of the after market business for years to come. Then you add in all of the locals who see the boys in blue with a S&W pistol and think "I need one of those".
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 24th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Beats me, I just know that they did.
    If you know this to be a fact, then what are the names of the police departments that did this?

I wonder how this is all going to play into the rumored S&W price drop. My local dealer has told me to hold off for a while longer on my pondering the M&P as S&W will be doing away with the tiered pricing for dealers, and going flat MSRP for all.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

My ex-wife used to go to the outlet mall and drop a grand on clothes and purses.... and then tell me "honey, i saved so much money...everything was on sale" ***. WOnder how much he spent on holsters, and other "goodies". bunker

S&W is requiring them to trade in their Glocks so they can study them and figure out what they need to do to improve their own pistols, lol.
    I think the S&W is a good pistol, but I am sticking with Glock as my personal choice due to I can completely perform my own work on it if needed, and I have developed a confidence in it over the years that's hard to shake.

Maybe in time I will look into the S&W, but right now I must stay with the time proven track record Glock.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe those give-away guns are programmed to whisper "Smith and Wesson" whenever they're handled, or the S&W logo glows in the dark or reflects in sunlight, or they have a special pheromone impregnated plastic that makes guys just HAVE to get one.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links