Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video - Page 4

Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think Glock is feeling the pressure of being the leader for a long time. They really haven't changed much with their guns until recently ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

I think Glock is feeling the pressure of being the leader for a long time. They really haven't changed much with their guns until recently and have found some issues with their attempt at gadgeting up their guns. The other manufacturers have been working to catch Glock with inovative designs and the like, and now S&W is putting them in the hands of LEO's at deals that are hard to refuse.

S&W is not loosing much money on these deals if they are taking the Glock trades and reselling them. (Sorry Glockman10mm, I don't buy your using them for research. ) The departments are buying accessories with non taxpayer money, drug busts ect. but S&W is definately making money on the accesories to cover more of the loss on putting guns out at no cost.

The folks that I know that have them, and the ones I have shot have been good guns. The only arguments I have found against them is that they aren't Glocks. If the departments are happy, the guns work, and S&W gets to pick up some of the market share by doing it, it seems like a win/win all the way around unless your Glock.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    When they already had weapons? makes zero sense. Now you have to retrain, re qualify, train your armorers, and other items. probably should have read the article....
    Actually taking some free guns now before your old ones wear out completely makes perfect sense to be. Strike while the iron is hot, trade your lease in a little before it takes a crap on you and get the brand new free stuff. And plus who doesn't want to spend more time at the range?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    S&W is requiring them to trade in their Glocks so they can study them and figure out what they need to do to improve their own pistols, lol.
    I think the S&W is a good pistol, but I am sticking with Glock as my personal choice due to I can completely perform my own work on it if needed, and I have developed a confidence in it over the years that's hard to shake.

Maybe in time I will look into the S&W, but right now I must stay with the time proven track record Glock.
    glockman the first thing I will ask you is how do you suppose you get a track record unless you put yourself out there?
    second, you think M&P is studying Glock? I would say that the 4th gens Glocks are copying the M&P backstraps, reversable mag catch etc.
    lastly, just like anything else you could work on a M&P by yourself to, they are not that complicated, do you by the same kind of truck every time you buy one? just so you can know exactly how to work on it?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Actually taking some free guns now before your old ones wear out completely makes perfect sense to be. Strike while the iron is hot, trade your lease in a little before it takes a crap on you and get the brand new free stuff. And plus who doesn't want to spend more time at the range?
    Taxpayer waste IMHO. Guns wear out? Buy new barells . I have picked up a few g17 pd trade ins and they are just fine. Departments just justify it because they want shiney new and want to be able to spend budget money. believe me, they got free weapons, but they spent money that was unwarranted on equipment and other weapons to go along with it. I am sure the weapons they had were just fine. I own 1911's, an XD, an M&P, a couple BHP's, revolvers, keltecs, tauruses, and a gen 2 and 3 glocks and I still can't figure out this grip angle thing people keep whining about. Seriously. I pick a weapon up and shoot it, I don't worry about triggers, grip angles, grip width, etc. Go figure.

The Sheriff probably agreed to advertise the fact as part of the deal with S&W. Thats what S&W did here with the Guilford County Sheriffs dept. Also had the M&P logo on some of the Crown Vics too.

When it costs so little to pop plastic guns out of the mold, you are desperate for market share and you are reselling the Glocks you traded for, its easy to do it and turn a profit. Maybe if their product was better, S&W could make a big profit and their stock price would not keep tanking. :)

im just glad there supporting a US gun manufacturer. I personally am sick of all the talk about glocks, yeah dont get me wrong there good guns. but ugly as dirt and foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post

glockman the first thing I will ask you is how do you suppose you get a track record unless you put yourself out there?
    second, you think M&P is studying Glock? I would say that the 4th gens Glocks are copying the M&P backstraps, reversable mag catch etc.
    lastly, just like anything else you could work on a M&P by yourself to, they are not that complicated, do you by the same kind of truck every time you buy one? just so you can know exactly how to work on it?
    Well, thats pretty obvious I would think. Of course you have to develop a track record, no brainer. And yes, S&W has been studying the Glock for years, as has others, and in that there is no shame. But I actually intentionally put myself in harms way everyday, so I dont have the luxury of being the one to enable a track record for someone. I am comfortable with the Glock platform, and have no need at this time to switch horses. There is no need to feel like you have to defend the M&P, as I stated earlier that I am sure its a good gun, and I have actually shot one many times and was impressed overall.

And actually yes, I buy the same truck every time, as well as the same coffee, tobacco, and soft drink, boots, and jeans. I even married the same woman twice. The way I see it is if it aint broke, try to break it, and if you cant, you better keep it.

VIP Member
    Here is the part that cracks me up. Every time Glock does not win something, all the fan boys start getting defensive. Guys! There is room at the top! You don't hear all the Sig fans whining about M&P's and Glocks all the time do you? Heck they have been taking beatings with regards to contracts lately! J/K

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Departments just justify it because they want shiney new and want to be able to spend budget money. believe me, they got free weapons, but they spent money that was unwarranted on equipment and other weapons to go along with it.
    You need to go read that last news article that I provided a link to. The sheriff praised the features and design of the new belts, mag holders, and holsters that they are getting. He listed numerous specific advantages that he said that they have over their old equipment.

So I do not think that it is fair to say that this additional equipment was unwarranted. The Sheriff obviously believes that there are many benefits in getting all of this new equipment.

I can think of many other wastes of taxpayer money before I am going to gripe about LEO's not having adequate equipment and guns that work for them. They are out looking for the BG's and helping keep the rest of society safe. The tools they need to be what they need and even want in some cases.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If you know this to be a fact, then what are the names of the police departments that did this?

Canton, Westland, and Livonia if I'm not mistaken.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I would say back in the game is an under statement. They have a ways to go, but the Glock boys are definitely feeling the pressure. You can even tell from a civilian perspective as many Glock fans are switching over to M&P, or feel the need to defend Glock to their dyeing breath because the have a safe full of them. I think they are both fantastic and I would trust my life to either firearm. To me it comes down to where it's made and customer service when all other things are equal. YMMV
    I live in a state where the State Police are still carrying 3rd gen Smiths...one of about 5 major police agencies to still be doing so, because the admin are old traditional warhorses who refuse to buy plastic guns. I personally know that the bid came back up for new duty weapons and Glock MAJORLY out bid Smith by 6 figures and the agency still chose Glock. I personally know both LE distributors bidding. So I got the deal from both. Smith had to do a lot of back door stuff to keep the contract. They were not even gonna make the 3rd gen 4566 anymore and are keeping a machine line up to just make them for our state police.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    The way I see it is if it aint broke, try to break it, and if you cant, you better keep it.
    I love it Glockman. It's gonna be my new signature...
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Funny how there was nothing wrong with the Glocks and accessories until S&W came along with a sweet deal.

Spending ANY money when your current equipment is just fine is a waste.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ...Spending ANY money when your current equipment is just fine is a waste.
    Government "Use it or loose it" philosophy on budgets (been there, done that). If'n they don't be spendin' the money by the end of the quarter/year, then the following year their budget is reduced the same amount of the surplus.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Funny how there was nothing wrong with the Glocks and accessories until S&W came along with a sweet deal.

Spending ANY money when your current equipment is just fine is a waste.
    But the Sheriff had a whole list of complaints about the old equipment, that he detailed for the press in the news report. Do I need to post exactly what he said? Do you believe that he is not being sincere regarding all these reasons that he gave regarding why the new equipment is better?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links