Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bunker This should go at least four pages Ding ding ding! We have a winner! hehe, sorry couldn't resist. To add my ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    This should go at least four pages
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

hehe, sorry couldn't resist.

To add my comments, I like both the glock and M&P, I give the M&P the edge except for the almost imperceptable trigger reset feel. I agree with cutting the budget but there are FAR more areas that could be cut before law enforcement equipment and training.

2. Remove Ads

Thank you... and for my next trick, i will take for free all the GLocks that the police dept turned in... and then i will sell them for $5 to all members of this forum

It's the Chevy/Ford thing all over. I don't have a dog in this hunt--I own several M&Ps and Glocks also, but don't EDC either. I like to slip a 9mm barrel in a G 2d2 or 31 and practice at the range. But I also love to shoot my M&P 9 or 9C as they just feel good. Wife lady sometimes carries the 9C.

My son works for a state agency who changed from M&P 40s to Glock 22s about 1 1/2 years ago. His comment was that in his opinion, he preferred the Smith, but felt like the Glock was just as good and was confident in its reliability.

BTW, I own Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks and have praised and cursed all in the past.

RKM
    If I was the head of police agency, I'd issue 1911's, or Hk USP's. Or, you could supply your own, out of your own pocket as long as you can qualify with it and it's reliable.

M&P's aren't bad. Glock can only stay ahead for so long. And I think they are still ahead. I wouldn't mind owning an M&P some day.

I am going to contact this department, I will offer him 6 ea really sharp sticks for every M&P he turns in... And 4 Bikes for every car etc..... What a great way to make decisions...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    ... Or, you could supply your own, out of your own pocket as long as you can qualify with it and it's reliable.
    This is how my old agency works... And everyone's happy....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    If I was the head of police agency, I'd issue 1911's, or Hk USP's. Or, you could supply your own, out of your own pocket as long as you can qualify with it and it's reliable.

M&P's aren't bad. Glock can only stay ahead for so long. And I think they are still ahead. I wouldn't mind owning an M&P some day.

I would feel sorry for those who worked under you if you did that.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I would feel sorry for those who worked under you if you did that.
    Yeah, come to think of it, you're right. a 1911 may be a bad choice... So Hk USP it is :)

Actually I was working on our department range during a period of time when our Glock 22s were having major issues. Long story short many of them experienced Failure to Extracts with about 4-5 rounds left in the magazine. It affected about 10% of our guns. We utilized high speed stop motion cameras and were able to actually film the guns malfunctioning. We tried every known fix, and determined that Gen 3 Glocks 40 cal would not run correctly with a fully loaded magazine and without a light attached. This culminated with one of our officers being involved in a shooting and having his gun jam before being able to fire all his rounds, after having been struck by the suspect's rounds. We were not the only large agency to experience this problem. Long story short, Smith and Wesson offered us this same deal, which we took. The armorer's class, the new Safariland holsters, etc were all paid for by Smith and Wesson. So there are reasons for departments to switch equipment, on occasion.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

VIP Member
    Well, if its about economics and value for the taxpayers then I get it. As for reliability and I suppose that could be argued. Around theses parts I see many agencies with SIG’s so go figure.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I work for a PD that authorizes several .40 primary duty pistols, made by four makers: S&W, Glock, SIG, and SAI. (I think it is an abomination for a PD to limit officers to one model of pistol! Glocks do not fit me, and my accuracy results show it; I would hate to be limited to a Glock.) One model dominates, being chosen by half or more of each cadet class, that being the S&W M&P40. The ones I am able to ask, usually cite ergonomics. Some of these say they preferred the SIG P229 or P226, but we buy our weapons, and SIG is just too expensive for many on cadet pay. The P226/P229 are seen as the prestige pistols, with not just price, but accuracy being cited as the reasons.

Before the M&P40 was introduced by S&W, and then authorized as a choice, the Glock was the most popular choice, with price being the main motivator, among those I asked.

Glock has lost a huge market share among my PD's cadets and officers, between the M&P40 and the XD. I cannot specify my PD on social media, by policy. We are 5000+ officers; not a small PD.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 26th, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: clarification, typos

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Funny how there was nothing wrong with the Glocks and accessories until S&W came along with a sweet deal.

Spending ANY money when your current equipment is just fine is a waste.
    Yet we here on DC do it all the time. Upgrade our EDC to a new gun or new gear.. that is a mis-guided opinion. The Glock fanboys are just getting mad that S&W is doing the same marketing technique Glock did.

Glockman I was not trying to defend the M&P as it can speak for itself. and I respect your statement.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links