Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

This is a discussion on Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of our local Sheriff's Departments just announced that they are switching from Glocks to S&W M&P pistols. Smith and Wesson continues to offer police ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

One of our local Sheriff's Departments just announced that they are switching from Glocks to S&W M&P pistols. Smith and Wesson continues to offer police agencies sweetheart deals on the M&P handguns. The only payment that the department has to make for the guns is to turn in their old used Glocks in trade.

The department is paying for accessories such as belts and holsters, that they are also getting from S&W to use with their new M&P handguns, as well as for some training. But the guns themselves are coming at no cost to the department. How is it that S&W can afford to do this with so many agencies???

Here is a link to a full news report about the switchover, including a video interview with the Sheriff:

New Handguns for the Linn County Sheriff's Department | KEZI

Patrol officers are being issued the full size M&P 40, while plainclothes officers are getting the compact M&P 40c

No wonder there are so many used Glock Law Enforcement guns available on the market.

Well I suppose if they can afford to do that, power to them. I don't agree with it and I don't like it but I certainly hope it doesn't get any one hurt or worse. I'm not knocking M&P's, but we all make decisions on carry guns based on their performance, not price.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I transitioned from a SIG P220 to a Glock 22 kicking and screaming. But after the first time on the range I was forever sold on Glocks.

CMR
    Over by me, there's a few police departments that traded in their Glocks for the M&P. I guess after some issues or complaints, the police departments returned the M&P's and went back to their Glocks.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

This should go at least four pages

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    This should go at least four pages
    yep, get your popcorn and a large drink and settle in, this one is going to go for a while

Now you know why the price of your S&W is so high. LOL. Actually, it's a great marketing strategy, because a lot of people will buy what Police officers carry, because they assume they must be very reliable. And, they themselves may buy Smith products as a result. IN the meantime, it gets their guns out there in people's hand where it gets well known.

They in turn also get good feedback on what failures are occurring or not, for refining and improving their product.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good call..Glocks have the worst ergonomics ive ever seen in a weapon Ive never had a gun till I owned a Glock 23 that actually fit my hand so bad. the M&P fits great..I have to agree...gun fits/feels better you will probably shoot it better. Loved the Glocks reliability hated its grips. Love the M&P's grips and reliability.

And face it S&W just out Glocked Glock...reason Glock got such a corner on the market is not just 1 fold its 2 fold and both about EQUAL parts..they work(reliability) and are simple to operate....and they gave PD's BIG TIME DISCOUNTS to buy them back when they switched...they basically did the same thing S&W is doing now back at them but the S&W is a better(feeling) gun ergonomic wise. so they are "out Glocking Glock"

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    yep, get your popcorn and a large drink and settle in, this one is going to go for a while
    This is gonna get good...

I traded my G23 for an M&P .40 and then 2 years later traded my G27 for my M&P 45c. Haven't looked back since.
    "If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."
    --Author unknown

Atlanta Police Department issues M&P's.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have a friend that first hated the M&P .40c when his department got them, but now he likes it so much he bought a 2nd .40 full size one as a personal one for himself. God Bless

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have nothing against Glocks ( I do own ONE ) but everyone doesn't like them or shoot them well.

They are NOT "Magical"

Perhaps that Dept. will give their officers more Range Time now ( always a good thing )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

kpw
    Another Glock vs. M&P thread?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMR View Post
    Over by me, there's a few police departments that traded in their Glocks for the M&P. I guess after some issues or complaints, the police departments returned the M&P's and went back to their Glocks.
    How would it be possible for them to go back to their Glocks, though, being that they traded them in and no longer have them?

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    How would it be possible for them to go back to their Glocks, though, being that they traded them in and no longer have them?

Wait till the M&P's break and then buy Glocks again the next time around
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links