Defensive Carry banner

Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

26K views 71 replies 44 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
Local Sheriff Explains why Department Switched from Glock to S&W M&P -- Video

One of our local Sheriff's Departments just announced that they are switching from Glocks to S&W M&P pistols. Smith and Wesson continues to offer police agencies sweetheart deals on the M&P handguns. The only payment that the department has to make for the guns is to turn in their old used Glocks in trade.

The department is paying for accessories such as belts and holsters, that they are also getting from S&W to use with their new M&P handguns, as well as for some training. But the guns themselves are coming at no cost to the department. How is it that S&W can afford to do this with so many agencies???

Here is a link to a full news report about the switchover, including a video interview with the Sheriff:

New Handguns for the Linn County Sheriff's Department | KEZI

Patrol officers are being issued the full size M&P 40, while plainclothes officers are getting the compact M&P 40c

No wonder there are so many used Glock Law Enforcement guns available on the market.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I suppose if they can afford to do that, power to them. I don't agree with it and I don't like it but I certainly hope it doesn't get any one hurt or worse. I'm not knocking M&P's, but we all make decisions on carry guns based on their performance, not price.

#4 ·
Over by me, there's a few police departments that traded in their Glocks for the M&P. I guess after some issues or complaints, the police departments returned the M&P's and went back to their Glocks.

#7 ·
Now you know why the price of your S&W is so high. LOL. Actually, it's a great marketing strategy, because a lot of people will buy what Police officers carry, because they assume they must be very reliable. And, they themselves may buy Smith products as a result. IN the meantime, it gets their guns out there in people's hand where it gets well known.

They in turn also get good feedback on what failures are occurring or not, for refining and improving their product.

#8 ·
Good call..Glocks have the worst ergonomics ive ever seen in a weapon Ive never had a gun till I owned a Glock 23 that actually fit my hand so bad. the M&P fits great..I have to agree...gun fits/feels better you will probably shoot it better. Loved the Glocks reliability hated its grips. Love the M&P's grips and reliability.

And face it S&W just out Glocked Glock...reason Glock got such a corner on the market is not just 1 fold its 2 fold and both about EQUAL parts..they work(reliability) and are simple to operate....and they gave PD's BIG TIME DISCOUNTS to buy them back when they switched...they basically did the same thing S&W is doing now back at them but the S&W is a better(feeling) gun ergonomic wise. so they are "out Glocking Glock" :smile:

#12 ·
I have nothing against Glocks ( I do own ONE :smile: ) but everyone doesn't like them or shoot them well.

They are NOT "Magical" :rolleyes:

Perhaps that Dept. will give their officers more Range Time now ( always a good thing )

#16 ·
I wonder why the Sheriff contacted all of the local news media to announce this? Does he perhaps believe that taking this step that saved taxpayer dollars will gain him favor among voters? He really went out of his way to publicize this deal.

This news story at the link below explains that no tax dollars were spent. Money to pay for the new belts, holsters, and other accessories came from a variety of sources, including funds seized from criminals. Apparently the Sheriff really likes the belt and holster that S&W is selling, and that helped sway him in favor of this deal.

Linn County sheriff switches to American-made handguns

Here are some photos of the Sheriff showing off the new S&W M&P pistols to the media:

#17 ·
One of our local Sheriff's Departments just announced that they are switching from Glocks to S&W M&P pistols. Smith and Wesson continues to offer police agencies sweetheart deals on the M&P handguns. The only payment that the department has to make for the guns is to turn in their old used Glocks in trade.

The department is paying for accessories such as belts and holsters, that they are also getting from S&W to use with their new M&P handguns, as well as for some training. But the guns themselves are coming at no cost to the department. How is it that S&W can afford to do this with so many agencies???

Here is a link to a full news report about the switchover, including a video interview with the Sheriff:

New Handguns for the Linn County Sheriff's Department | KEZI

Patrol officers are being issued the full size M&P 40, while plainclothes officers are getting the compact M&P 40c

No wonder there are so many used Glock Law Enforcement guns available on the market.

This is the same tactic that Glock has used the last 20 years. You can't tell me they didn't give away pistols to switch agencies from the old S&W's they were carrying back in the day. WA State recently did the same thing. It's a fact wether folks like it or not, M&P's are gaining major market share and are here to stay.

#18 ·
If they have a fully supported chamber that may be one reason,I was at the range Sunday when a friend was shooting a G23,I heard him yell and asked what was up,he had a case blow out around the base into the magwell,he had some blackened powder residue on his hands and it blew the mag outta his gun .He said hes sending all his 40's in to get Barsto barrels installed

#28 ·
Well if S&W sold ammo, I would say maybe it's the same marketing scheme that printer manufacturers use, give the printer away for free (with a new computer) because they know you will be buying their over priced ink for the next 5 years.

As it is, I suppose they are hoping the word of mouth advertising is worth more than the guns they give out, plus they now have a lot of hardly ever used Glock to sell!

#34 ·
I don't know why a department would have 'traded back' unless it was the first line of M&P pistols that had the rust problem (which they would fix) but I would personally prefer the M&P.
The M&P has the three dot sights, CT grips can go in palm swell, great ergonomics,they are all made in the U.S.A., and they are completely AMBIDEXTROUS. You may have a clue which feature is a big plus to me. Glock just recently began making adj grips and reversible mag releases and it still isn't available for all models yet.
Even the Gen4 Glocks don't have an ambi slide stop. I guess there aren't any many southpaws working for Glock.
I would love to have a Glock eventually, but for now I'm an M&P fan. Anyway, just my $0.02

QUOTE=dukalmighty;1879128]If they have a fully supported chamber that may be one reason,I was at the range Sunday when a friend was shooting a G23,I heard him yell and asked what was up,he had a case blow out around the base into the magwell,he had some blackened powder residue on his hands and it blew the mag outta his gun .He said hes sending all his 40's in to get Barsto barrels installed[/QUOTE]I thought only revolvers and single-shot pistols had truly 'fully supported barrels', but the term was used in marketing because the support had been increased due to problems with the high pressure .40 caliber rounds. I'm not going to say I'm 100% on this though.

#37 ·
The real cost of a M&P or Glock is most of the time half of the cost of MSRP. One thing thats food for thought as the continuation retail sales of the M&P continue the more "free" M&Ps can be made.
Also, the best way to gain market share is to make the other guys R&D useless. From my observations S&W options on arms are starting to take away from Glocks low price game. This is nothing more then S&W getting payback from the 3'rd gen buy back program Glock ran.

Edit: Have a look at this link http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/classified/gxray4.html

#40 · (Edited)
It probably costs S&W less to refit 20 small police forces with free guns than it costs to run one TV commercial. They can probably do 5 police refits with the money it would cost to run one spiffy full page ad in Field and Stream. This is a great marketing tool and IMO a much better advertising tactic. The police getting new guns = great (free) press for S&W AND they get all of the after market business for years to come. Then you add in all of the locals who see the boys in blue with a S&W pistol and think "I need one of those".

#42 ·
I wonder how this is all going to play into the rumored S&W price drop. My local dealer has told me to hold off for a while longer on my pondering the M&P as S&W will be doing away with the tiered pricing for dealers, and going flat MSRP for all.

#43 ·
My ex-wife used to go to the outlet mall and drop a grand on clothes and purses.... and then tell me "honey, i saved so much money...everything was on sale" ***. WOnder how much he spent on holsters, and other "goodies". bunker

#44 ·
S&W is requiring them to trade in their Glocks so they can study them and figure out what they need to do to improve their own pistols, lol.
I think the S&W is a good pistol, but I am sticking with Glock as my personal choice due to I can completely perform my own work on it if needed, and I have developed a confidence in it over the years that's hard to shake.

Maybe in time I will look into the S&W, but right now I must stay with the time proven track record Glock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.