Taurus 709 Slim - Page 2

Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a 709 for a while and I have 1500 rounds through it and it has been flawless. It is small, light, and accurate ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim

I've had a 709 for a while and I have 1500 rounds through it and it has been flawless. It is small, light, and accurate and the recoil isn't as bad as other small 9s I've shot. I've been very happy with mine. I've had no dealings with CS, so I can't comment on that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I carry the 740 and have had no problems with it....Around 500 rounds. Most of the Taurus bad reviews I've read were about the Millenium....
    I'm happy with my 740.

Thanks for the comments, all!
    I'm interested also in getting a T-709, but I'm a bit 'gun shy' after hearing such negative reviews on this board.
    Hmm, I might just wait and buy my next tool on the list - a Walther P22 for plinking and put off the Taurus for a while.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I also have a 709, and I haven't had any problems with it either. I am sure there are some bad experiences with them out there, but those exists on pretty much all guns anyway. The bad reviews on the Taurus' are 'usually' from people that don't own them and have heard of bad reviews.
    I reason I bought one was the following features: Slim, real sights (many sub compacts have crappy sights), striker fired with second strike capability, manual safety.
    I have to say that mine also "shot low" when I first got it, but now it's shoots much better :-) I think it's takes a little practice to shoot a small compact gun and it is most likely the shooter and not the gun.

I looked at a 709 and decided against it. I have no problems with Taurus, have 3 of them and other than a few failures with the 738 at first, runs fine now. My 24/7 and PT111 have had no issues.

I just couldn't get past the trigger on the 709. It was just awful. I have decided on a PF9, as soon as my guy gets one in, I will run it through it's paces, let the wife get familiar with it and it will become her daily carry. She liked shooting the PF9, only real comment was that it was a little firecracker when shooting full power loads. The trigger is still long but better than the 709 in my opinion.

If you find you like the 709, can live with the trigger, and can get past the bad talk of it in places, then go for it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I have to say that mine also "shot low" when I first got it, but now it's shoots much better :-) I think it's takes a little practice to shoot a small compact gun and it is most likely the shooter and not the gun.
    Mine shot low out of the box as well. Funny thing was, I could adjust the sights all the way up and it still shot low. Recentered the sights and practiced more, and darned if that thing ain't pretty accurate for a pocket pistol.

I did have a problem with the extractor, (probably user error, I think I broke it) but they sent a new one no charge. I installed it, and haven't had a problem with it since. It's actually quite a nice little shooter, although I prefer to shoot full size guns.

I suspect that many of the reported problems have been caused by improper cleaning and lubing. The tolerances are very tight, and improper cleaning and lubing could certainly cause cycling problems.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

There are a lot of recent threads talking about the Taurus 709 slim, including this one that contains my still relevant thoughts on the pistol.

taurus 709 slim

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My 709 is my EDC and has been for about a year now so I guess I feel comfortable enough with the quality and performance of a Taurus product to trust my life to it. My 709 gets shot weekly, every time I go to the range, and I put 1 or 2 magazines, at a minimum, through it just to keep checking functionality. I have no idea how many rounds have gone through the gun but I have had zero problems or issues with my 709 regardless of the type of ammo I put through it including reloads, range ammo, and commercial FMJ and HP ammo. I find it exceptionally easy to carry and conceal due to it's size and weight. It fit's my hand well, points naturally for me and I find it extremely accurate. Great gun which I wouldn't trade. I'd buy another tomorrow.

New guy here i also was interested in 709 slim in ss did searches handled fired decided i would give it a try three visits to range i am very happy with this purchase looked at kahrs kel-tec sw really liked the way the 709 felt as i said three range trips no problems recoil not really bad for small gun would buy another i am very happy

Taurus Slim and Taurus Customer Service

I fired this gun in two separate visits to the shooting range. At the second one, on the first shot, the gun broke in half in my hand. Scared me to death! I sent it back to Taurus on December 28, 2010. Took them until February 28 to contact me and tell me that they could not fix the gun and would have to send me a replacement. I have contacted them repeatedly to inquire when they were shipping the replacement and twice they lied to me and said they had mailed it and indeed they had not. Just talked to them again and they claim they have mailed it...we'll see. Oh BTW I get stuck with paying the new FFL fee since it's a new gun.. I would never recommend their products or their service.

You can have my 709!

Have put about 1000 rounds through it. FTEs FTFs Picky about ammo. Some ammo just won't fire. One type approx. 25% of it did not fire.
    Adjusted the sights up and can shoot it accurately...when it works! Last time we had it out at the range I got frustrated with the FTEs...this is no lie...my husband took a can of oil, locked the slide back and sprayed it in there. NO LIE after that the gun was dripping oil, but it worked like a dream. Only time I have ever shot it without any ejection failures. I have taken great care of it and followed cleaning and lubrication instructions to the letter. After we got home I put it in the case locked it up and I am trading it. You can have it! I don't have any confidence that it would work flawlessly if needed.

Went and got a SW M&P 9. Shoots like a dream. That ammo that I tried to run thru the 709 two and three times....ate that like candy. Have not had a single FTE FTF. This gun I trust to work clean or dirty, with cheap ammo or good ammo.

Just my experience. There are always lemons. Guess I got one.

I've been carrying mine a lot more lately...and I'm still loving it. I carry it at home in my lounge pants in a clip on IWB holster a lot. No problems with it ever.

I love Ruger products and have more Rugers than anything else. If Ruger had theirs out when I was in the market, I would have likely gone that route. Since I got a really good 709, I'm not inclined to get rid of it for something else. For those who had negative experiences, the Ruger LC9 looks like a strong contender.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I bought my wife a Taurus Pt709 slim. She loves it,it's accurate,shoots well and easy to carry.Her only real complaint is it only hold 7+1 rounds.

I have the 709 and I love it as a carry gun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links