Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend is considering the Slim after dumping the Keltec and we were discussing this the other night. I have no knowledge of them at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim

Taurus 709 Slim

My friend is considering the Slim after dumping the Keltec and we were discussing this the other night. I have no knowledge of them at all other than a few things I have read here and there about them.

Do any of you guys have them and what is your opinion about them as a CCW.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Some people own them and have had no issues, while others have had reliability issues. I handled one, but personally liked the Walther PPS over it and several other "slim" pistols. I also don't like the horror stories of the Taurus customer service. Do a search on the 709 on this site... Many threads on it. I guess I just feel that there are better pistols/companies out there in this particular niche. But, to each their own. Why did your friend dump the kel-tec? They seem to be well liked by those that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Some people own them and have had no issues, while others have had reliability issues. I handled one, but personally liked the Walther PPS over it and several other "slim" pistols. I also don't like the horror stories of the Taurus customer service. Do a search on the 709 on this site... Many threads on it. Why did your friend dump the kel-tec? They seem to be well liked by those that have them.
    Trigger guard was not large enough.

I have looked at the PPS for myself, I loved everything about the gun except it had what may be the worst or roughest trigger that I have ever felt. It may have just been the gun I handled, but that trigger was a piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Trigger guard was not large enough.

I have looked at the PPS for myself, I loved everything about the gun except it had what may be the worst or roughest trigger that I have ever felt. It may have just been the gun I handled, but that trigger was a piece of work.
    Interesting.... I hadn't heard that complaint about the keltec yet. Also interesting take on the PPS. I feel the trigger has a bit of take up, but breaks fairly clean. As you said, maybe you handled a piece that wasn't up to par, or we have different takes on what trigger should feel like on a ccw. Another thought for your buddy.. There are a slew of new compact 9's hitting the market like the lc9, sig 290, and Kimber solo, so maybe one of those will have some appeal as well. At any rate, best of luck finding what works best for you or you buddy!

Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    Interesting.... I hadn't heard that complaint about the keltec yet. Also interesting take on the PPS. I feel the trigger has a bit of take up, but breaks fairly clean. As you said, maybe you handled a piece that wasn't up to par, or we have different takes on what trigger should feel like on a ccw. Another thought for your buddy.. There are a slew of new compact 9's hitting the market like the lc9, sig 290, and Kimber solo, so maybe one of those will have some appeal as well. At any rate, best of luck finding what works best for you or you buddy!

Stay safe!
    Thanks.

I am actually holding out the LC9 as I have had enough of Taurus guns with 2 revolvers that have had problems in the last year. Unless I have a drastic change of heart, my money will not spend on a Taurus. I just posted this question to try to help him with some unbiased opinions.

I thought about getting a 709 about a year ago, and it seemed for every one good review, there were five bad ones. BUT, this is the internet. People will go out of their way to complain about something, and not find the time to praise it, usually. The impression I got was a lot of people just weren't cleaning out all the grease and packing gunk the pistol ships covered in and that was causing most of the problems, combined with dirty ammo. Then again some other people were having legitimate QC issues.
    That said, I held off and eventually purchased a Kel Tec P11, which I traded in on an LC9 just this month.

I painfully still haven't made it out shooting with the LC9 so I can't offer my take on it in that regard. But I do really like the gun so far.

Had a PT745, couldn't make it work for me. Won't buy another Taurus. Check out this forum, particularly the "Taurus Complaints" sub-forum - I think you have to register to access it;

Taurus Armed.net - Index

Sponsor
    Though my experience with Taurus has been positive, I have seen enough complaints about their customer service to know that it can't all be hyperbole.

My wife has the 709. We had to send it back to Taurus right away as it was shooting 8" low at 20' with the sight at max(Min?) adjustment. Taurus turned it around in 3 days and paid shipping. New front sight post. Still shoots a bit low but that may be my ham fisted trigger technique. We have had zero malfunctions though our round count is admittedly low at around 300.

I am waiting to play with the LC9 before I make a decision on a single stack 9mm for myself. But, the 709 is a definite possibility for me.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I have a Taurus PT745 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I thought about the 709 but after reading all the bad reviews on the Taurus blog, I got a Kel Tec P11. After getting used to the trigger pull, I can hit a 4 inch group at 15 yards every time. I love it.

Tim

I've got a PT 709. I've had no trouble at all with it. Sights were off a bit when I purchased it new, but they are adjustable so no issue there. I've maintained mine to the T as the manual says no FTF no FTE, flawless. I've had no reason to deal with Taurus CS so can't comment on that from a personal stand point. I mainly carry mine in a pocket holster in either a hip pocket, (Docker type pants, or a jacket pocket. It works out fine either way. I've got an LCP I carry up front regardless of anything else I may have.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I own a TCP which has been fine......my 709 has been sent in three times for the same problem & I don't feel comfortable trusting it as a carry gun
    It is a nice size / caliber which i really like, but......

Others have had ZERO problems......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

los
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Actually Los the PT709's length is pretty close to 6.0 inches. I measured mine and it is exactly 6.08 inches. Plus for the original poster, I have over 3000+ rounds through mine of mixed ammo and have not had any problems with it. I hope this helps. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post

My EDC is either a G19 or G26...With that being said, I do have a 709 which the wife carries/shoots. Although I've not tried running 500 rounds thru it at one range visit, I have shot 100-150 rounds at one visit with no malfunctions/problems... I did clean it good out of the box...I use high temp wheel bearing grease on the rails, just as I do my Glock, otherwise it's babied with a lil Godzilla...I had to adjust the sights as it was shooting a little bit low, but no problems otherwise... I've also read the mixed reviews...I guess I just have a decent one! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    ...Actually Los the PT709's length is pretty close to 6.0 inches. I measured mine and it is exactly 6.08 inches.
    Thanks for catching that, V.

It was a typo on my end. The chart has been revised.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links