Need a CCW (Kahr vs Glock)

This is a discussion on Need a CCW (Kahr vs Glock) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a XD subcompact 9mm and its a little bulky and heavy for EDC I do like the 13+1 capacity at only 6.25 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need a CCW (Kahr vs Glock)

Need a CCW (Kahr vs Glock)

I currently own a XD subcompact 9mm and its a little bulky and heavy for EDC I do like the 13+1 capacity at only 6.25 inches long and 4.75 tall its 26oz empty. its around 35oz loaded.

I am looking into the Glock 27 so I can pratice with 9mm if i get the conversion kit. The glock is identical in length but a little shorter in height at 4.17. That is going to be my biggest factor in concealing. I am a tall and slim build and dont wear oversized clothes. The glock isnt much thinner than the XD SC but a half inch shorter in grip length and also lower bore axis so should be less recoil but less rounds but weighs less. Widht is 1.18 27oz loaded and 9+1 rounds

Second option is a Kahr pm9 I read mixed reviews on this gun but more recent reviews are better than old ones. gun seems amazing for concealing 5.3 length height 4.0" and weight only 14 ounces right at 20 ounces loaded 6+1 I dont care for but its the price I pay for small gun to conceal 100% of the time. The width is only .90 inches. To have the 40 caliber I would lose a round and go to 5+1 which I dont like that idea.

Its either carry the current XD SC 9mm 13+1 heavy and bulky-dress around it and get a good holster.
    Glock 27- Weighs less, not sure on thickness compared to the XD, less rounds 9+1, shorter grip.
    Kahr pm 9- smallest gun, light, thin, only 6+1 for capacity.
    Other options-Please post

Whatever gun I go with I plan to carry a spare magazine or two if I am going far out of town late at night or a unsafe area. 1 spare mag on me and 1 in the vehicle unless I feel its a good idea to carry both extra mags on me. Also I plan on carrying a BUG small 380 acp prob either a kel-tec or a ruger lcp back pocket more than likely. With time I want to invest in a subnose hammerless 357/38spl S&W j frame and ankle carry only when I am going out of town and feel the need for an extra gun with 5 powerful 357 rounds.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The only Kahr I own is the CW40 that I carry if I want something lighter than one of my 1911s. Personally I would take the Kahr over any Glock since they have a much better trigger than any Glock I have tried and are more accurate in my hands.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have a g26 and a cw9. I personally like the glock trigger better. The Kahr has a very nice double action trigger pull but I can't stand the long reset. Kahr is easier to carry, Glock is easier to shoot. (for me of course) Accuracy is about the same for me but I shoot the glock much better- faster follow up shots, quicker mag changes, etc....

Short answer is try out both, everyone has there own taste.

VIP Member
    Trading the XDsc9 for a G27 is just changing mfg. labels. I have an XD40sc and a G26 and the so-called 1/2" isn't as big a deal as you think it is. There's no situation where one or the other has an advantage, except for caliber. if you're looking at a Kahr,I would look at the CW series pistols. I have a CW9 with about 2500 rounds through it and was flawless after my first range trip. It's 1st trip was upon leaving the store going directly to the range 1/2 a mile down the road. it had a couple of FTF's in the first 50 rounds I shot that day. After cleaning and lubing the gun correctly, it's never missed another beat.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I think the Kahr CW will be a little too big on the grip length I need something with a short grip but still want a good sized capacity and a good gun for CCW. So you dont think there is a big difference in the 4.17 vs 4.75 height on the glock vs XD SC also the weight is 8oz lighter with the glock. Whats the difference in the thickness of the slides on the glock and the XD?

To ME, the two most important criteria for concealed carry are weight and thickness, height and length less so. Those considerations, of course, vary depending on how/where you intend to carry. I carry IWB at 5:00 o'clock and a Kahr P9 works perfectly for me.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

You not only need to consider the size, thickness, etc of the two guns you are referencing, but you also need to consider how well you can shoot the two. 9mm vs 40 S&W. If you can't shoot the 40 all that well, then you should stick with the 9mm. Some people have issues with the snappy recoil of the 40 S&W.

That aside, I have a PM9, CW9, XD SC9 and Glock 26. The PM9 is by far the easiest to conceal and carry. Much more comfortable because of it's lighter weight, and you do have more rounds than you would if you carried a 5 shot snubbie, or no gun at all. As for the XDsc vs Glock issue, the Glock 26 is a little (and I stress "little") easier to carry than the XD. The grip doesn't appear to print as much, and it does feel lighter, however the grip on the XD is much more comfortable than the grip on the G26.

Considering all. I'll take the PM9 any day over the Glock or XD. Between the Glock and XD, the Glock carries a little better, but the XD can be carried with a good holster. Both the Glock and XD are going to require a cover garment. I wear oversized T-shirts or Henley's with little printing.
    To my knowledge I've never been noticed.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry a G 27 very comfortably.
    Proud NRA member

los

Christopher67 likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

How do you carry your XD? A different holster might solve your problem.

Years ago, I thought I could not carry anything other than a pocket gun (my needs are very discreet). Then I discovered the Smartcarry. Comfortable, and I can now carry a "real" gun - Glock 26 usually, but I also carried a Glock 19 this way for a long time.

Kahr vs Glock? No contest, IMHO. I've had 3 Kahrs, and they all had issues - multiple issues. Glock all the way - reliability trumps all else.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Glock...I have a 27 and 23 that I alternate carrying...both very comfortable...the right holster/belt combo does help though...

PM9 in a crossbreed minituck is soooo comfortable. The thinness of the gun combined with the excellent holster makes it work for me. I can carry my G19 in a crossbreed supertuck fairly comfortably... but with the thinner PM9 the difference is like night and day.

The Kahr's trigger is buttery smooth as well.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

GLOCK
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I roll with a Glock 19 and 26. Best in my book. I like the trigger system, accuracy, and reliability. On me they carry very well.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    PM9 in a crossbreed minituck is soooo comfortable. The thinness of the gun combined with the excellent holster makes it work for me. I can carry my G19 in a crossbreed supertuck fairly comfortably... but with the thinner PM9 the difference is like night and day.
    - Same here. I carried a Glock 27 for about a decade. Loved the gun. I ended up with the Kahr PM9 because I wanted a lighter and thinner gun. I wear it in a CrossBreed MiniTuck and find it to be the most comfortable IWB setup I own. I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but the Kahr is definitely an easier gun to carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links