Concealed Carry Gun choice

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Gun choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by beginner23 I've had my concealed carry license for two years but have never felt the need to carry. Unfortunately, that has changed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Gun choice

Quote Originally Posted by beginner23 View Post
    I've had my concealed carry license for two years but have never felt the need to carry. Unfortunately, that has changed recently. I currently own one firearm, a P95 Ruger. I currently do not have a holster and have spent quite a few hours over the last few days looking and reading reviews online. I came across the "
    Crossbreed supertuck deluxe." It seems like everything that would be wanted in a holster, easily concealable and comfortable but my concern is gun might be to big to carry on a everyday basis.

So my question is, is it to big to carry or is there just a better choice in general? I thank everyone for any help able to provide.

I'm not sure if it matters but i'm 5'6 and 170 lbs.
    Crossbreed is a good holster.

JUST as important is a good belt. I use Wilderness Tactical but there are a lot of belt manufacturers out there. The best holster won't feel right or work to its potential with a cheap belt.

Carry what you have. You seem to be familiar with it and can put the extra money for a new gun towards TRAINING.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

The supertuck holsters from crossbreed are great. Also, another forum sponsor that makes the same type holster known as Kholster is worth looking into as well. I snagged one of their holsters for my m&p 9c and my impressions on it so far have been every bit as good as my feelings on the supertucks. The Kholster took exactly 2 weeks from the date of the order until it was in my mailbox.

In my opinion you can't go wrong for IWB with supertuck from crossbreed or a Kholster.

As far as guns go, I too would recommend carrying the P95 for a while and seeing what the pros and cons are of carrying it, then you can make an informed decision about what you would feel more comfortable carrying. Others have already said this, and I think it is sound advice.

I am 5'10", 160 lb. and have a Ruger P95. For me, it's too heavy and uncomfortable to carry. After trying many alternatives, I have settled on a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus that I carry in a Don Hume First Agent holster. I know, it's ONLY a 380, but I can hit what I aim at and it holds 15 + 1 Corbon DPX. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    No one has a "need to carry" until they need their gun. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will need to protect yourself. If you think hanging out in "safe" areas will keep you from harm, you need to think again. If you can get there, than so can armed and dangerous criminals. Sounds as if you may have had a close call recently that woke you up.

I would strenuously recommend a self defense class, beyond whatever you learned in your concealed carry class. Just owning a firearm does not make you a warrior, no more than owning a piano makes you a pianist.
    I agree 100%. Carrying a firearm is a choice but there are levels of protection you should know. IMO one should be familiar with some form of hand to hand combat as well as a secondary weapon.....knife, kubaton, pepper spray etc.....Generally you can only escalate retaliation to a threat by one level. Fists meet knife. Knife meets gun etc. My point is if someone comes up and punches you.....in most states.....you can't shoot a person. You need to have and train with options.

VIP Member
    If you are thinking about the CBST, the Kholster is a better value. Quality wise, they are about the same, but the Kholster is more adjustable, just as comfortable and less expensive. I have Kholsters for all my carry guns.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by zip777 View Post
    My point is if someone comes up and punches you.....in most states.....you can't shoot a person. You need to have and train with options.
    100 percent agree. This is why I REALLY wish they made a smaller "pocket" sized tazer. I would carry one in a heart beat. I have considered carrying a extending baton but seems like they are bulky and heavy. Pepper spray is ...ok... I just wish there were better non/less lethal options.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My first carry gun was a Ruger P94. It was very reliable and accurate.

It was kinda on the fat side for carrying, but the reason that I stopped using it was because I'm not a fan of SA/DA.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    I love my Glock 30 for carrying. No manual safety (a plus to me), consistent DAO trigger pull, it's small, just as accurate as bigger handguns, decent capacity of .45ACP... only problem is it's a bit thick. It's only a matter of getting used to if you carry IWB. First few imes I carried it, I thought "no way, this isn't going to work". But now, I prefer it over carrying my Kahr in my pocket.

zip777, while I agree with you that you cannot use a firearm against an unarmed assailant (unless there are some exigent circumstances such as a serious size disparity or a large number of unarmed attackers), neither can you use a knife. A knife, in most jurisdictions in still considered deadly force. Also some martial artists (myself included) would argue that under certain conditions the knife is a much more certain killer than a firearm.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I don't presume to know the lethal force requirements in ZIP777's hometown, but the statement of only being able to use "one level above the threat presented" is pure crap. There is no such wording in ANY local, state or Federal bylaws, and to say that you need to "measure and respond by threat levels" is laughable.

Most, if not all CCW guidelines specify that you respond to stop the imminent threat to your life.

Period.

If you feel your life is in danger by someone approaching you in a menacing manner carrying only a golf club, you are certainly not bound to inquire as to the size of golf club and respond. "I see you are about to crush my skull with a 3-iron... so I guess I need to grab a driver to respond appropriately by one-level."

Self-defense is about securing your safety, or the safety of those around you. You should never respond with deadly force unless your life is in danger. Threat levels? Please. Don't be ridiculous.

You should do whatever is necessary to STOP the threat to your life. No threat-level response calculation is required, in fact, it will likely get you killed.

Class dismissed.

Yes its too big to carry comfortably and conceal well and wear it all day...id use it for HD but not for CC. Go look at the new Ruger LC9 or Ruger SR9c(thats what I have)

Pt709 ?
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    If you are thinking about the CBST, the Kholster is a better value. Quality wise, they are about the same, but the Kholster is more adjustable, just as comfortable and less expensive. I have Kholsters for all my carry guns.
    + 1

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I used to think that a full sized gun wasn't going to be good for CC and I pretty much gave up CC any type of full sized gun. That is until I took a chance and order a IWB holster from Adams Holster (google it). I just have one of his holsters but ordered 2 more of the my other guns. Right now, I can CC my Smith and Wesson Model 19 4 inch barrel while wearing a thin t-shirt with out any type of problems. No poking, no printing, no nothing.

You may want to give Luke Adams a jiggle to see what he can do for you.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Knightrider, that is a sweet looking set up....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links