Concealed Carry Gun choice

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Gun choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my concealed carry license for two years but have never felt the need to carry. Unfortunately, that has changed recently. I currently own ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Gun choice

Concealed Carry Gun choice

I've had my concealed carry license for two years but have never felt the need to carry. Unfortunately, that has changed recently. I currently own one firearm, a P95 Ruger. I currently do not have a holster and have spent quite a few hours over the last few days looking and reading reviews online. I came across the "
    Crossbreed supertuck deluxe." It seems like everything that would be wanted in a holster, easily concealable and comfortable but my concern is gun might be to big to carry on a everyday basis.

So my question is, is it to big to carry or is there just a better choice in general? I thank everyone for any help able to provide.

I'm not sure if it matters but i'm 5'6 and 170 lbs.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's all about personal opinion, what I carry everyday, others may find uncomfortable and heavy after a few minutes. There is no perfect gun for everyone to CC. Find something that you shoot well and can conceal.
    The P95 can be concealed, you just have to try. However, if you WANT a new gun to use as a CC gun, it's always fun to look.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Only you can determine if your gun is comfortable to carry.

I started out carrying a Springfield XD .45 Compact until I bought a few Glocks, now my EDC is either a G 27 or G 23, both more compact and much lighter!
    Proud NRA member

The P95 can be concealed and carried but it DEFINITELY wouldn't be my first choice if concealment and comfort were priorities.

-Corrected
    Last edited by Rollo; February 23rd, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The P95 can be concealed and carried but it DEFINITELY would be my first choice if concealment and comfort were priorities.

It would be or would not be?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The P95 can be concealed and carried but it DEFINITELY would be my first choice if concealment and comfort were priorities.
    Thats funny, I feel the same way about my AR-15
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It should be doable. I concealed carry a USP 45 Tactical, but I'm 6'0 200lb and I use an underbarrel flashlight to change the outline of the weapon so it doesn't print.

I'd say get a holster and try to carry the P95 first, then think about replacing it or getting an additional weapon.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

I liked my P 95 had it for years, but the more I carried it the less i wanted to. I sold it and got A Walther p99 compact. Less weight not as hard to conceal. Every one has to figure out what works best for them.

I'm 5'7'' about 140...I carry the glock 23 in a desantis cozy partner...or a g27...both good guns...easy to conceal for someone your size too...P95 isn't bad though..

I feel your pain I currently have a 5" tactical XD 45 and I'm in the market for a new carry gun the road I'm considering is a Ruger SP101 chambered in 357

Administrator
    While the Ruger is a serviceable pistol, it would not be my first choice. But, I wouldn't rush right out and buy another simply because what I had is to big. Buy a good holster for the Ruger ( Cross breed is a good one) and get accustomed to carrying. Then you can make a much more informed decision on your upgrade.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with the advice on running your current P95 as a carry piece and then looking to get a more "carry friendly" handgun. You probably have a reliable weapon in the P95, and any new gun you get is going to take a little range time to get it broken in. As for the crossbreed holsters, I have two of them and they are my preferred way to carry. I find they do an excellent job of concealing, and distributing the weight of the carry weapon. Also, invest in a quality belt to support the holster and weapon. Without quality belt designed to support a carry weapon, you will find it doesn't stay where you want it, etc. I have a belt from Crossbreed as well.. and while not inexpensive, they are well made and worth the money in my opinion.

In the long run.. you are probably going to end up another carry gun in addition to the P95. Its just the way these things go for most people once you start to carry. Regardless.. having a good holster and and belt for your current weapon certainly makes sense. Lastly, you are probably looking at a month from the time you order a crossbreed and it lands on your door step, so figure that into your decision making as well. They are prompt with their shipments, etc.. but I believe they make each holster as your order comes in. .. and a month is not long to wait for a quality product. I am not sure if your need for a holster can wait that long, or if you have a more immediate need.

Whatever you decide, stay safe, and practice often!
    Last edited by RockStrongo; February 23rd, 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: readability

I can't hide anything without a sweater or overgarment on my 5'8", 145lb frame. I have a Kahr CW9 that i leave in the truck and carry a TCP738 in a Remora no-clip. The no clip feature gives me the option of tucking a shirt when needed - The 738 weighs less that 14oz loaded and shoots well to me. I didn't believe it until i tried it but the Remora works well - doesn't move and draws well - only cost $25.00. It does take 2 hands to re-holster - i don't mind that as long as it comes out when i need it too.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I agree with the advice on running your current P95 as a carry piece and then looking to get a more "carry friendly" handgun. You probably have a reliable weapon in the P95, and any new gun you get is going to take a little range time to get it broken in. As for the crossbreed holsters, I have two of them and they are my preferred way to carry. I find they do an excellent job of concealing, and distributing the weight of the carry weapon. Also, invest in a quality belt to support the holster and weapon. Without quality belt designed to support a carry weapon, you will find it doesn't stay where you want it, etc. I have a belt from Crossbreed as well.. and while not inexpensive, they are well made and worth the money in my opinion.

In the long run.. you are probably going to end up another carry gun in addition to the P95. Its just the way these things go for most people once you start to carry. Regardless.. having a good holster and and belt for your current weapon certainly makes sense. Lastly, you are probably looking at a month from the time you order a crossbreed and it lands on your door step, so figure that into your decision making as well. They are prompt with their shipments, etc.. but I believe they make each holster as your order comes in. .. and a month is not long to wait for a quality product. I am not sure if your need for a holster can wait that long, or if you have a more immediate need.

Whatever you decide, stay safe, and practice often!
    A holster from Crossbreed may only take a few days to get, however the belts are made per order so they stretch the time out a little (for me it was like 3 weeks and definately follow the measuring instructions).

I'm sure there are several who carry the P95, I've never even held one so I know very little about them. I started carrying a Colt 1903 in a cheap azz Uncle Mike's IWB pouch, then a full size 1911 OWB in a Fobus holster. I finally picked up a GLOCK 19 and ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe in Horsehide with the combat cut, and a black Crossbreed belt.

I've had a minor crack in the Kydex portion of the holster and it was mailed, fixed, and returned (with new style clips and hardware) in less than a week. I only paid for shipping to Crossbreed. The Crossbreed is hard to beat for IWB holsters and belts.

Good luck on your quest.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by beginner23 View Post
    I've had my concealed carry license for two years but have never felt the need to carry. Unfortunately, that has changed recently.
    No one has a "need to carry" until they need their gun. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will need to protect yourself. If you think hanging out in "safe" areas will keep you from harm, you need to think again. If you can get there, than so can armed and dangerous criminals. Sounds as if you may have had a close call recently that woke you up.

I would strenuously recommend a self defense class, beyond whatever you learned in your concealed carry class. Just owning a firearm does not make you a warrior, no more than owning a piano makes you a pianist.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links