6+1 vs 7+1 in 1911

This is a discussion on 6+1 vs 7+1 in 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking a lot at small framed 1911's, primarily from the perspective of finding the one that is easiest to carry. Some good looking ...

Thread: 6+1 vs 7+1 in 1911

6+1 vs 7+1 in 1911

I've been looking a lot at small framed 1911's, primarily from the perspective of finding the one that is easiest to carry.

Some good looking candidates are

CS Adventurer
    Springfield Micro Compact
    Para Ordnance PTX LDA Carry
    Colt New Agent
    Kimber Ultra Carry

With the exception of the CS Adventurer, which is the only one with a shorter grip and 5+1 capacity, all of the above guns are single-stack, have the same weight, length, height, and barrel length. However, the Kimber and New Agent have 7+1 capacity whereas the other three have only 6+1 capacity. Why is the capacity different when they have the exact same size frame?

Also, can anyone speak for differences in thickness of the slide and/or grip between them?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The colt New Agent and Kimber ultra carry I have owned. They are both great guns! as for a pure carry gun the Colt newagent takes the cake! it is super thin through the grip and still is very easy to shoot.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Yes, of all these guns, I am definitely most drawn to the colt new agent at the moment...so I like to hear that kind of review :)

Can anyone comment on the thickness in comparison to a glock 36?

Don't know about the models you list, but my Rock Island compact (CS) is also 7+1 primarily because tha magazine has an extension on it that allows for the extra round.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Yes, of all these guns, I am definitely most drawn to the colt new agent at the moment...so I like to hear that kind of review :)

Can anyone comment on the thickness in comparison to a glock 36?
    I cant speak for the 36 but I lined it up with my Kimber compact my Glock 29.5 and the New Agent and it is signifigantly thinner! to the point were if you shoot it alot the others feel to thick until you get used to them again.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Why is the capacity different when they have the exact same size frame?
    I could be wrong... and if I am someone please correct me.

It is my understanding that some companies issue magazines with the "original" capacity. Springfield's full size guns for example say they have a 7+1 capacity and the mags that come with the gun do only hold 7 rounds.

However if you get aftermarket mags they will have the "extended" capacity. i.e. buy Wilson Combat mags for your Springfield and voila! it now has a capacity of 8+1.

So all of the compact 1911's will hold 7+1 if you buy aftermarket magazines...(except the CS I would imagine) it is a function of the magazine, not the gun.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I am not talking about magazine extensions, I'm referring to the number of rounds stated on the manufacturers website for the stock magazine. The only one of these listed guns which uses a magazine on the stock gun is the Para Ordnance, which is a 6+1, and as a result has a slightly larger overall height than any of the others (which are 7+1 without a magazine extension)...

VIP Member
    My Springfield originally came with a 6 round mag, I have since replaced the mags with Chip McCormick 7 round mags. These fit flush with the bottom of the grip and do not incorporate any type of extension.

Chip McCormick Match Grade Magazine 1911 Officer 45 ACP 7-Round Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I am not talking about magazine extensions, I'm referring to the number of rounds stated on the manufacturers website for the stock magazine. The only one of these listed guns which uses a magazine on the stock gun is the Para Ordnance, which is a 6+1, and as a result has a slightly larger overall height than any of the others (which are 7+1 without a magazine extension)...
    There are two types of stock magazine, those that hold 6, and those that hold 7. The internals of the magazine are different which allows for 7 in the same size mag.

T45
    In my Officer Model with factory mags was 6+1. With Chip McCormick mags I get 7+1.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There are two types of stock magazine, those that hold 6, and those that hold 7. The internals of the magazine are different which allows for 7 in the same size mag.
    Aha! I knew there had to be a logical explanation.

Links