10MM

This is a discussion on 10MM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really don't understand why the 10 hasn't gained much more popularity??? I have shot the EAA, the Delta colt, and the Glock 20 and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10MM

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

10MM

I really don't understand why the 10 hasn't gained much more popularity??? I have shot the EAA, the Delta colt, and the Glock 20 and with those guns I get the added recoil that full power 10mm's gives the shooter. But in the Glock 29 I honestly don't feel any difference in recoil between that and the 45ACP. In fact I tested it on a buddy of mine yesterday and he couldn't tell the difference either. I took him to the range and gave him my Glock 30 45/10mm. and he fired 2 magazines worth of 45ACP out of the gun (3) different kinda so 6 mags in all and then he fired the same in 10MM out of the gun. this is the result in a blind test cuz he didn't know which he was firing as he was blind folded.

The least recoil:
    FMJ 230 45ACP close second 180 FMJ 10mm

Most recoil:
    Corbon +p 165 JHP close second 230 Equalizer DT 10mm

the middle two he said felt the same:
    185 grain HydraShok 45ACP and 180 grain DoubleTapp JHP

After We shot alot more and I honestly think the 29 produces less recoil than the 20 making it a very easy to manage gun. To be fair my gun does have a 19lbs recoil spring in it and I am not sure what the difference in feel to a stock one is.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Wait, I'm going off topic for a moment here... He fired these guns blind folded?

I have no issue with buffalo bore heavy 10mm out of my g29. IMHO I know handgun rounds are similar but 10+1 or 15+1 180 grain 10mm rounds in a compact package with 15 round backup mags makes more sense to me than any other caliber platform out there when I choose to carry hicap over the revolver.

I think I would be a big fan! seems like a great round, I just have so many now that the idea of a new ammo (cost keeps me at bay).......... If I was starting from scratch I think the 10 would make my short list. But with time money EQT and ammo expenses as they are I am a 40 cal fan for the near future anyway...

But the 10 might take off with the next upcomming generation I think.. (kinda like the 40 did out of the 80s)

VIP Member
    I woke up at 2am this morning, pondering this. I'm about to order the same parts that you did for my G30. My purpose would not be for a two-legged predator, but to carry as a woods gun (have some feral hogs on one of my properties). I always take recoil concerns with a grain of salt, as it normally doesn't affect me much. That said, I personally view .45 ACP as a better general SD round, simply because it makes a bigger hole. It's simple-minded stuff like that which can sometimes be forgotten in the haze of ballistic data.

Speaking of ballistic data, I'm also curious as to what the shorter barrel for the G30 has on the 10mm performance? Most of the published data refers to a 5" barrel. Maybe Glockman10mm might catch this thread and steer us in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I woke up at 2am this morning, pondering this. I'm about to order the same parts that you did for my G30. My purpose would not be for a two-legged predator, but to carry as a woods gun (have some feral hogs on one of my properties). I always take recoil concerns with a grain of salt, as it normally doesn't affect me much. That said, I personally view .45 ACP as a better general SD round, simply because it makes a bigger hole. It's simple-minded stuff like that which can sometimes be forgotten in the haze of ballistic data.

Speaking of ballistic data, I'm also curious as to what the shorter barrel for the G30 has on the 10mm performance? Most of the published data refers to a 5" barrel. Maybe Glockman10mm might catch this thread and steer us in the right direction.
    before my chrono broke I had recorded 1308-1310 out of my G29Sf with Buffalo bore heavy 180gr jhp

I guess my question is: Is there that much difference in the 10mm and the 40 S&W. I saw that Ruger has a 10mm revolver that looks really nice and concealable!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    before my chrono broke I had recorded 1308-1310 out of my G29Sf with Buffalo bore heavy 180gr jhp
    Wow. That surprises me. May I take a guess at how the chrono broke?

I ran over it in my garage with the rhino

guys on other forums are recording around 1240 fps with dt 200 grain flat noses out of G29's

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    Wait, I'm going off topic for a moment here... He fired these guns blind folded?
    we were safe! hahaha
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    guys on other forums are recording around 1240 fps with dt 200 grain flat noses out of G29's
    I will dig out my chrono and see if I can get you some more numbers if there is anything you want tested.

I've always been a 10mm fan. Don't currently own one though... so many guns, so little money.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I will dig out my chrono and see if I can get you some more numbers if there is anything you want tested.
    I tested my carry ammo, I am GTG. Thanks

When you look at the glock 29 as a managable recoiling 10MM it makes it hard to not get the 10MM IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links