Trying a New SIG-Sauer P220...

This is a discussion on Trying a New SIG-Sauer P220... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. I recently purchased a NIB SIG-Sauer P220 .45 ACP pistol. This one sports an accessory rail (something I could live without), and has the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1951 - 2011

Hello. I recently purchased a NIB SIG-Sauer P220 .45 ACP pistol. This one sports an accessory rail (something I could live without), and has the milled slide rather than the folded version with a pinned-in breech block. It also has the external extractor.

This P220 appears to be the "regular" version of this design. Several variations on the P220 theme are offered. This one came with textured grip panels which are thinner than in years past and I welcome the vertical serrations on the front grip strap. This P220 came with night sights as well as one extra stainless steel, 8-shot magazine. An older ('91-manufacture) P220 I have owned since '92 came with 7-shot magazines.

I have had a genuine fondness for these pistols since I bought my first one in 1991, after witnessing Texas Department of Public Safety Firearm Instructor, Lt. Reeves Jungkind (ret.) shoot some really tight groups off-hand at 50 yards with one using ammunition commercially-loaded with Speer's now discontinued 200-gr. JHP. It seemed to me that his out-of-the-box P220 was grouping as well as some accurized 1911's I'd seen and shot!

In any event, I bought one and have shot it off and on since that time. Before retiring from police service, one of my duties was that of a firearm instructor and as such, I saw quite a few of these pistols fired over the years. Texas DPS troopers were also using them at that time and cutting to the chase, I was hearing of few problems with the P220's. I personally witnessed none, but have seen other folks' reports to the contrary.

Admittedly, most of my shooting these past forty years has been with single-action automatics (1911's & Hi Powers) or double-action revolvers (usually S&W's), but I've also worked and taught with traditional DA/SA autoloaders. "The double-action automatic is an answer to a non-existant problem" sounds pretty good to me and I respect that statement's source quite a lot, but I respectfully disagree. Many (probably a distinct majority) in law enforcement simply are forbidden by policy to carry a single-action autoloader or are specifically mandated to tote a DA/SA autoloading handgun in a specific caliber. Restrictions may vary to some degree, but probably not on forbidding the single-action auto's use. That we may not agree with the idea is moot; some law enforcement personnel are still required to use DA/SA.

This Bladetech holster works fine with both my new P220 having the accessory rail and my older one which does not.

Other people simply are not comfortable with Condition One carry and will not be. I do not look "down" on them in any manner as appears to have been the case to varying degrees over the years, nor do I come close to accepting that an autopistol design other than single-action carried cocked-and-locked is "the badge of the incompetent". I have seen the unedited police videotape of a law enforcement officer effectively engaging his would-be murderer with a P220 and had "e-conversations" with a couple of other folks who've both seen and slain "the dragon" using the P220. Though my personal preference remains the single-action autoloader in general, I simply have not found the traditional DA/SA autoloader a monster to learn. I am speaking only for myself and other shooters may hold just the opposite view, but in any event, I was happy to try a new P220 and am in the process of comparing it to my older one. If interested, here is a fairly-detailed initial report:

Longer Report

Make no mistake; I am not trying to "convert" anyone to this design or manufacturer. My aim is simply to provide personal observations, statistically invalid as they may be, that might be of some use for folks interested in this area of handgun selection.

I have enjoyed shooting a P220 off and on for nearly 20 years now. I hope that this new gun serves at least as well as the older one has. We'll see.

Best.

Administrator
    You got a good one, enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Congratulations on your new Sig P220.

IMO, it's truly a classic sidearm. Mine is very accurate and reliable to a fault.

I agree that with some dedication and desire the DA/SA autoloader can be mastered and the design has many things to commend it.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Congrats, on your new 220!

They are fine shooting pistols!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I have a P228 in 9mm, my next Sig purchase will be a P220. I have shot both and they both make me look like an expert. IMO there is two things that Sig does better than any other and that is 9mm and .45.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Feeling like I am coming down with the signess again.

Stephen,

That was a great post! Thanks!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Congrats Mr. Camp

Being both a Lefty AND a S&W Revolver lover I have long favored the DA/SA
    pistol.

In Particular I love my three SIGs

I hope you enjoy yours

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Nice weapon, congrats

VIP Member
    I carry my P220R on duty and off. It is my favorite hangun. Enjoy yours, they're unbeatable (IMO).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    These handguns only sell for a little over $800 So they are not outrageously expensive. A good 1911 would cost a person more than that.

There is a limited edition Rosewood Edition that was recently made with Rosewood grips, and it does not have the accessory rail.

Here is a photo of one for sale:

Sig P220 45 Nitron Slite DA/SA Roswd New Arvada CO : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Similar story to yours...

I have also been shooting for many years but did not have a Sig P220 until a year ago. I had done most of my .45 caliber shooting with Colt 1911s. But one day at the range I watched another shooter make some very tight groups with a P220, and it motivated me to buy one for myself - the all steel stainless model. Since then I have shot the gun a number of times and have been very impressed with its ergonomics, reliability and accuracy.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Congrats Mr. Camp

Being both a Lefty AND a S&W Revolver lover I have long favored the DA/SA
    pistol.

In Particular I love my three SIGs

I hope you enjoy yours

My wife is a lefty and her EDC is an 80's era P220. What technique have you found to work best for malfunction clearance? I've tried locking the slide back left handed and have problems. Don't get me wrong, I love my SIGs, they are just not lefty friendly.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    My wife is a lefty and her EDC is an 80's era P220. What technique have you found to work best for malfunction clearance? I've tried locking the slide back left handed and have problems. Don't get me wrong, I love my SIGs, they are just not lefty friendly.
    What type of malfunctions are you trying to clear because most work just fine with tap, rack, and bang. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing your new purchase with us. The Sig Sauer P220 is my favorite .45 DA pistol.

Let us know how you like it compared to the other P220(s) you've handled in the past.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links