can't decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger sr9c. opions welcome!

This is a discussion on can't decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger sr9c. opions welcome! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, Im new to this forum.... I can not decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger SR9c. Im on a budget so both ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger sr9c. opions welcome!

can't decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger sr9c. opions welcome!

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum.... I can not decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger SR9c. Im on a budget so both of these guns meet the price. Ive seen the ruger sr9c sell for $385 at a gun show and the Kel-Tec PF-9 for around $300.
    I have a Kel-tec P32 which i love, i forget im even carrying it, but the caliber is too small.

I am wanting to trade my S&W model 637 Airweight for the Ruger SR9C, do you think this is possible? they retail for $449, this gun is only slightly used.

which do you like better for a CCW the KEL-TEC PF9 or the Ruger SR9C?
    i like how the Ruger has many options for mag. sizes and the kel-tec doesnt...

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut785 View Post
    Hello everyone, Im new to this forum.... I can not decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger SR9c. Im on a budget so both of these guns meet the price. Ive seen the ruger sr9c sell for $385 at a gun show and the Kel-Tec PF-9 for around $300.
    I have a Kel-tec P32 which i love, i forget im even carrying it, but the caliber is too small.

I am wanting to trade my S&W model 637 Airweight for the Ruger SR9C, do you think this is possible? they retail for $449, this gun is only slightly used.

thanks
    First i would check out budsgunshop.com they have excellent service, and very reasonable prices. Prices include shipping. Out of your two options, i would go with the Kel Tec PF9. As a further suggestion, i would maybe hold out for the Ruger LC9, which just came out at the shot show. Do some searches on this forum and you will allready find some good information. Good luck. Bunker

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Hello everyone, Im new to this forum.... I can not decide between the Kel-tec PF-9 and the Ruger SR9c. I am wanting to trade my S&W model 637 Airweight for the Ruger SR9C, do you think this is possible? they retail for $449, this gun is only slightly used.

thanks
    The PF9 is smaller and less expensive but is a hard shooter. If it were me, I would go for the SR9. If you trade in the 637, which is a darn good firearm, you will likely get about half of the worth of it. I have not shot the SR9C but I have shot the PF9 and I consider it a handfull. I also have and the SR40 (SR9 big brother) and it is a pleasure to shoot.

I recently sold my PF9 and to be completely honest, the buyer was ecstatic. He loves the pistol. However it was not for me...

Welcome to the forum. You will like it here and gain a lot of knowledge and excellent advice. Mine not withstanding
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

gig
    If size is not a consideration, I would go with the SR9c.
    Better trigger, more capacity, manual safety (use is optional), larger grip.
    I have a SR9c and shooting it seems natural. I had a PF-11 and had to really concentrate to hit what I wanted.

It's kind of apples and oranges. A PF-9 is a pocket pistol, and the SR9C is a subcompact pistol. It really depends on how you intend on carrying it.

If you're intending on using a holster, the SR9C would be better, but the PF-9 is much closer to the size of the P32, and has similar controls and feel... just considerably larger.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

thanks for the quick replies. My roommate works at a local pawn shop but is a Glock nut so he has no advice. I do find that local gun shows have a considerably lower price then buying at a shop or online. I love the S&W i have but the cylinder bugs me when carrying for long periods, plus the capacity is not ideal. Im turning more towards the Ruger at this point but love the Kel.

Does anyone have an opion on other CCW in this price range?

(size is not that big of deal, i like to know its there. Ive carried my Taurus pt92 ((BEST semi auto ive ever owned)) as a CW before even though its a pretty big gun)

I have owned both an SR9c and a PF9. It's this simple for me. I have over 1700 flawless rounds through my SR9c. I fired around 600 rounds through my PF9 and had about 400-450 malfunctions from FTF, FTE, mag dropping etc. No it isn't an exact count on the PF9 but I will say mine was a piece of junk.

The PF9 looks cheap, and feels cheap because it is cheap.

Take a look at the new Ruger LC9. I just took a look at one at Cabelas today and I'm not a huge fan of it's trigger, but it is definitely viable for pocket carry.

gig
    You might check out a Bersa Thunder UC9. Its one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned.
    Nearly 500 rounds through it now, and not one problem. (cheap stuff and good stuff)
    They are generally priced less than the SRc9, are a bit shorter than the SRc9; but just a bit wider.
    However that width gives you more options in the gun. Because it is a hammered gun, it has a great SA trigger with short reset; but can be fired DA as well.
    The Bersa Thunder can be de-cocked and left on safety which disconnects the trigger,,,,,,great for a house gun that might not always be holstered.
    One motion on decocker and gun is ready for first shot DA and then SA thereafter.

I have read the Bersa Thunder is the best gun for the money, and so far, cannot argue the point.

I love my PF9, has been utterly reliable for me. It is not cheap but inexpensive and is a quite good pistol. I use mine in the carry rotation and have never had a problem with it. It conceals very good and can even share holsters with a 1911 compact, fits it really good.
    Best thing you can do is try and handle both and shoot both if at all possible. You will get allot of differing opinions as rammerjammer hates his and thinks it is cheap , I do not, actually think it is a nice little carry piece and just because it doesn't cost as much as the Ruger I still think it is a good piece.

Personally I like the SR9. I handled a lot of Keltecs before making my first purchase and the Keltecs never felt right in my hand and the SR9 fits like it was made for me. Really comes down to how they feel to you.
    http://www.gunmerchantaccount.com
    Firearms Dealer Merchant Services

thanks for the quick replies. My roommate works at a local pawn shop but is a Glock nut so he has no advice. I do find that local gun shows have a considerably lower price then buying at a shop or online. I love the S&W i have but the cylinder bugs me when carrying for long periods, plus the capacity is not ideal. Im turning more towards the Ruger at this point but love the Kel.

(size is not that big of deal, i like to know its there. Ive carried my Taurus pt92 ((BEST semi auto ive ever owned)) as a CW before even though its a pretty big gun)
    Kel Tec PF9 $259 through budsgunshop.com includes shipping
    Ruger SR9C $399 through budsgunshop.com includes shipping

$140 price difference will pay for a lot of 9mm ammunition. just my $.02

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Why are you not considering the Ruger LC9? It is almost the same size as the Kel Tec PF-9

They are very similar, as seen here in these photos:

pf9 b/c safeties are dangerous.

Don't tell my 1911's that thier safeties are dangerous, LOL. You might upset them.

I also own a Bersa UC9.....+1 on everything gig says...although it is much heavier than a PF9, I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by gig View Post
    You might check out a Bersa Thunder UC9. Its one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned.
    Nearly 500 rounds through it now, and not one problem. (cheap stuff and good stuff)
    They are generally priced less than the SRc9, are a bit shorter than the SRc9; but just a bit wider.
    However that width gives you more options in the gun. Because it is a hammered gun, it has a great SA trigger with short reset; but can be fired DA as well.
    The Bersa Thunder can be de-cocked and left on safety which disconnects the trigger,,,,,,great for a house gun that might not always be holstered.
    One motion on decocker and gun is ready for first shot DA and then SA thereafter.

I have read the Bersa Thunder is the best gun for the money, and so far, cannot argue the point.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links