1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long] - Page 2

1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long]

This is a discussion on 1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long] within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would be curious, and of course I cant think of a way to even verify, but if all 1911 fit in the same price ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long]

I would be curious, and of course I cant think of a way to even verify, but if all 1911 fit in the same price catagory as the other populars stuff like, Glock, would even more of them be sold? Or is it a more finite demographic than that.

Some say the 1911 is outdated but I think after 100 years and still going I'd have to say its just an old design the still meets current criteria for a lot of people. There seems to be lots of stuff out there thats just as acurate and effective, and maybe in 100 years we'll be buying up LCP's because they are "classics". It's hard to say of course.

I seem to notice lots of my buddies who are in law enforcement or the military seem to gravitate towards more modern stuff where my buddues who just grew up around guns or just like to shootseem to have a penchant for the classic designs. I know theres plenty of exception to this but it's just been a personal observation for me.

I equate it to musical insturments. For 1000 bucks you can get a really nice keyboard, with infinite amounts of sounds and more capability and capacity thatn you would ever need. Or for the price of a car you can buy a really nice baby grand piano that only does one thing. Its a centuries old design, a classic. And proof that sometimes things have to do a little more than just function, sometimes people just want that cool factor or nostalgia.

For me, I like the slim profile, I like the safety, I love the trigger and I'm comfortable with the capacity. I think the 1911 is the best gun out there but a quick look at any gun store shelf will show that thats not true for everyone. Tons of people put their lives ont he line with other guns that are plenty capable as well.

For the average joe....thats a tough one. When your dealing a gun, caliber, brand, carry method, weight, occupation, strength, etc....I dont find a lot of average anything. About the only common threar they all have is the desire to survive and the unwillingness to become a victim if they can help it. That to me is the vastly superior fighting weapon. What sprays the lead is almost a non issue. If my life is on the line, Ill shoot with anything.

Alex
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Is 1911 a great weapon? Absolutely.
    Do I carry it? Nope.

Whether it is the best out there is completely an opinion. The 1911 lacks what many of us look for in a CCW firearm (lightweight, higher capacity, no safety). But to say it is best is just like saying it is the worst, just someone's opinion. The fact that they are still in production certainly indicates that Browning did a lot right. I don't care what someone carries, just that they carry as often as they can and are a good shot with that firearm.

Dear 1911,

I currently do not own you, but you can be sure that i will this year. Happy 100th birthday to you. I know you are born in many different varieties, and i am not sure which one of you to get. Hopefully i can save up enough to buy two this year. You have been carried in every war since your introduction, and loved around the entire world. I look foward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely, Bunker

The 1911 was built as a combat soldiers sidearm. There are many platforms and calibers that simply outdo it for personal civilian defense and law enforcement duty, but it has cemented it's place in history for sure.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The 1911 GREAT!!!!! I don't dispute that at all! If I burried a 1911 empty and open and burried a Glock beside it the same and had to pick one up to defend my life with I wouldn't pick the 1911.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

A couple of replies, so as not to abandon my own thread:
    First, I've seen here and elsewhere replies referencing 1911s' cost. Keep in mind we're discussing a platform, not a assumed-high dollar sidearm. Perfectly serviceable RIA, Taurus, and the like can be had around the $500 price point. [shrug]

Then weight. My newly purchased SW1911PD is around 26oz. I just sold a very solid Taurus PT-145 (admittedly not a 1911 platform, but perhaps representative of the cumulative "other" styles) that weighed 25oz. I can't tell the difference in an ounce.

Reliability. Again, referenced in several places. But really. Do any of us, or combatants in general, really bury weapons and expect reliability? Most decently made firearms will function in realistically poor conditions with a modicum of maintenence.

Finally, also here and elsewhere, are a LOT of responses to the effect of "I had a 1911 and want to go back," or "I don't have a 1911, but really want one." [shrug again] I can't quantify it, but there sure seems to be a big "wish factor," for better or worse.

Just sayin' ...

-jb

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    be able to stick around for about 100 years (the 1911) and STILL keep on tickin
    I just couldn't resist the temptation to respond
    Well, but you are now the third person to repeat the exact same comment. That really is in a way sort of hilarious.

I was talking about the actual performance of the two guns. Obviously, these 3 responses have only served to prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, but you are now the third person to repeat the exact same comment. That really is in a way sort of hilarious.

I was talking about the actual performance of the two guns. Obviously, these 3 responses have only served to prove my point.

Yeah, it really is a shame that a good gun like the Sig 220 gets lost in the crowd of other good guns. Most people would not recognize one if they saw it and if everywhere is like it is in my area, they would not know where to go buy one as none of the local shops sell Sig's. This seems like such a lack of respect for it, to be relegated to a life of obscurity because of a lack of distinctive attributes.

I almost bought a 226 once, but it was chunkier than I like and I am not much of a fan of the DA/SA.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Posted here and elsewhere

So, what is the definition of the “best personal combat sidearm”? I don’t know. Maybe a combination of power, ergonomics, ease of manual of arms, controllability, availability of the weapon and accessories, etc. etc.

-jb
    The biggest baddest gun you can carry and shoot comfortably and accurately. If thats a 22 then so be it, it's still better than a rock.
    Now that being said, I pretty much like anything with a trigger that goes bang, but I love my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    The 1911 GREAT!!!!! I don't dispute that at all! If I burried a 1911 empty and open and burried a Glock beside it the same and had to pick one up to defend my life with I wouldn't pick the 1911.
    Yes, but since I don't bury my pistols in the ground empty and open, I would prefer to defend myself with either of my military 1911s rather than any Glock ever made. I'm familiar with them and trust their reliability. Obviously the point being made has to do with Glock reliability under adverse conditions but I'm willing to own 1911s that are not kept full of dirt and am not willing to own Glocks.

Just another opinion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yes, but since I don't bury my pistols in the ground empty and open, I would prefer to defend myself with either of my military 1911s rather than any Glock ever made. I'm familiar with them and trust their reliability. Obviously the point being made has to do with Glock reliability under adverse conditions but I'm willing to own 1911s that are not kept full of dirt and am not willing to own Glocks.

Just another opinion.
    Well said, sir.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Just another opinion.
    Great point. My point was just to point out that if SHTF and your in adverse conditions trenches dirt and sand that the guns we all keep sparkley clean will then be used like a true duty weapon. The 1911 is a great fire arm I love them, but I think the glock does the dirty work better.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    So, what is the definition of the “best personal combat sidearm”? I don’t know. Maybe a combination of power, ergonomics, ease of manual of arms, controllability, availability of the weapon and accessories, etc. etc.

-jb
    If your basing it on your criteria of power, ergonomics, manual of arms, controllability, and weapons accesories, then I would have to say there are others that would be better than a 1911.

There are other guns that are ergonomically as good or better than a 1911. Manual of arms, well there are many that have a more simple manual of arms than a 1911. Power, any 45 acp with a 5 inch barrel will have about the same power, controllabilty is going to depend on the shooter, and weapons accesories, well I think that the 1911 will loose that one as well.

If one wants to base the decision on the fact that the 1911 has been around 100 years and is still popular, then there is no point in arguing that since the 1911 will always be one of the oldest semiauto platforms. The new guns will never catch up in age. Age of a platform really has no bearing on whether or not it is the best personal combat sidearm.

I think that if you really want to know the answer to the question you have to simply look at one thing. What is being used now. Is the 1911 the main platform for the vast majority of military, police or personal defense weapons today. The answer is simple. NO. What is the saying, "the proof is in the pudding". If the 1911 was still the superior platform it would be the most used today, but it isn't. For whatever reason, other platforms have replaced the 100 year old design.

The fact that there is not one single platform being used today is proof that there isn't a single gun that is the best. You can find anything from Sig, Glock, S&W, Berretta, H&K, 1911's and a number of other platforms that are choosen by various agencies, departments and individuals based on their specific needs and criteria.

Short answer: There is no one best platform. Are 1911's good guns and a good platform, absolutely, but not the "best" by any means today.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I shoot 1911s slightly better than other guns. That said my EDC and go to guns are H&K and Sig. Not as finicky about ammo and no safety something I do not want on my carry gun. Put a 1911 trigger on my favorite H&K, P2000, along with a grip safety and for me it would be the perfect gun

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Great point. My point was just to point out that if SHTF and your in adverse conditions trenches dirt and sand that the guns we all keep sparkley clean will then be used like a true duty weapon. The 1911 is a great fire arm I love them, but I think the glock does the dirty work better.
    1911 has been used in what, 3 wars?

Glock has been used in, 0 as far as I can tell.

Haven't met any former military that complained of how poorly the 1911 performed when not cleaned meticulously.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links