1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long] - Page 5

1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long]

This is a discussion on 1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long] within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In short...does anybody really NEED upgraded beautifully machine turned grip screw bushings & fancy dandy Stainless Torx grip screws ..of course not but, we are ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long]

Administrator
    In short...does anybody really NEED upgraded beautifully machine turned grip screw bushings & fancy dandy Stainless Torx grip screws
    ..of course not but, we are Americans and we have a real need to waste our money on such things.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Mine always run perfectly until I start "fixing" them.
    That's cute, I like it.

Fact is, many of the so called problems of the 1911 platform, are the owners.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    All of mine have "worked" right out of the box & I've owned many. Even my old vintage radically chopped Detonics functioned perfectly.

Mine always run perfectly until I start "fixing" them.

Actually I consider working on them to have been part of a truly rewarding learning process.

I love the idea of knowing the firearm that I carry inside out, upside-down and forward & backward & I still have stuff to learn.
    Funny, I didn't think of this when doing the other post, but as I typed it and this, I sit at the computer with our beater 1911, a Rock Island Tactical, in a Fobus holster on my side as I have been out around the property since getting in from work and it has been in place just as it is many times. This is about as cheap as you can go with a 1911 ($450.00 out the door) and it is only about a year old and approaching 2000 flawless rounds at this time. It is the cheapest 1911 we have, but it's performance has duplicated the others. It has been perfect, I do not know what else I should expect of a gun.

Administrator
    "a Rock Island Tactical,"
    They are good pistols. I've shot the "Rock" before without any hitches or malfs.

Personally I think every 1911 should ideally run & run & run for decades and smooth...just like a fine old SINGER sewing machine.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Colt actually sued the government several years back when the government released the technical details of the M4 to other manufacturers as part of RFP when the government tried to add other manufacturers to the M4 contract. Colt won.
    Actually they lost, the TDP belongs to the Army as of July 2009. Army acquires rights to M4
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I'm no 1911 expert, so I like to listen to people who are. No offense to you, but when someone like Hilton Yam outlines service intervals and it doesn't jive with what you're saying, I'm gonna trust Mr. Yam. Mr. Yam also builds and maintains 1911s for members of his police department (of particular interest to me, as a police officer) and has stated that if he could start over they'd all be carrying M&P45s with apex DCAEKs.

Throw in quotes like this from people who know more about using a 1911 as a fighting pistol than just about anyone who has ever lived, and I'm gonna take note.

I don't want to come off like I hate the 1911, the only reason I don't own one is I've got more pressing needs that my gun money goes to. To me the gun is a means to an end, I want one that I can shoot well, is decently accurate, and most importantly, is as close to stone cold reliable as a man made object can be with minimal upkeep. Getting a gun with those traits allows me to concentrate my limited funds on buying up ammo and getting training that make me a better shooter. For me, for a multitude of reasons, the 1911 isn't that gun. Doesn't mean I won't pick up an Ed Brown or Springfield Pro if I come across a bunch of unexpected money.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I came oh so close to purchasing a full size RIA tactical last weekend. I was actually very impressed with the fit of the pistol.

I think any 1911 properly built can be reliable, although I do think they require more cleaning but is that really any different than a M4 compared to an AK47. I also believe they need more maintenance but I am seeing that this is a debated topic.

I believe the issue is that no matter what, you are going to have pistols that don't work, break etc.... With a 1911 you are going to have to have highly skilled gunsmiths who really know what they are doing. With a glock you pop some parts out, pop some in, it runs again and you call it a day. Nothing needs to be fitted or tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I'm no 1911 expert, so I like to listen to people who are. No offense to you, but when someone like Hilton Yam outlines service intervals and it doesn't jive with what you're saying, I'm gonna trust Mr. Yam. Mr. Yam also builds and maintains 1911s for members of his police department (of particular interest to me, as a police officer) and has stated that if he could start over they'd all be carrying M&P45s with apex DCAEKs.

Throw in quotes like this from people who know more about using a 1911 as a fighting pistol than just about anyone who has ever lived, and I'm gonna take note.

I don't want to come off like I hate the 1911, the only reason I don't own one is I've got more pressing needs that my gun money goes to. To me the gun is a means to an end, I want one that I can shoot well, is decently accurate, and most importantly, is as close to stone cold reliable as a man made object can be with minimal upkeep. Getting a gun with those traits allows me to concentrate my limited funds on buying up ammo and getting training that make me a better shooter. For me, for a multitude of reasons, the 1911 isn't that gun. Doesn't mean I won't pick up an Ed Brown or Springfield Pro if I come across a bunch of unexpected money.
    Well, thanks for politely calling some of us liars.

As I said in an earlier post, you are entitled to carry what you like and that is fine by me. I only know what happens with my guns and I have no issues with them and they receive no special treatment. I just shoot them and clean them occasionally. As long as they continue to perform like this, I will continue use them. I will, without one whit of reservation, strap one on and go anywhere I choose without a thought as to whether or not it will run if I get into a SHTF situation. It is my handgun of choice and I am confident that I can live with that. If you are uncomfortable with the 1911, then by all means you should use another sidearm. I am not trying to change anyone's mind about the 1911 as there are plenty of folks already that hold them in pretty high esteem. Besides, if many more people decide they like them, I won't be able to afford them before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Well, thanks for politely calling some of us liars.
    It seems like my only options here are to believe some of the guys on this board, or 1911 smiths who also carry and train with 1911s everyday as part of their job. Who do you think I'm gonna find more credible?

Since you have no experience with the 1911 personally, you have no credibility with me either.

So, I guess that makes us even.
    Last edited by jwarren; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:16 AM.

Administrator
    There is no need to make it personal. The purpose of a forum is to present differing opinion and put point & counterpoint "out there" for (hopefully) intelligent debate and discussion.

Actually, I read through the posts on that link and I honestly don't know what specific "parts" they are referring to that need all of this constant replacement and maintenance.

Most aftermarket extractors can be problematic if they are not specially fit.
    Truthfully I think that everybody out there that knows nothing about the 1911 extractor should just have a Millennium Extractor properly installed and be done with extraction related problems.

People also need to keep in mind that the 1911 (as originally designed) was intended to have a completely captive feed system.
    Many aftermarket "super duper" magazines have veered away from that fact (with regard to their feed lip design specs) in order to supposedly increase feed reliability with hollow-point ammo.
    Using those magazines can sometimes cause feed related problems.

With regard to "timing" I also believe that a properly set up 1911 does not really need an extended ejector at all...unless it's a compact 1911.
    In a full size 1911 it's an answer to a problem that never existed. Again...my personal opinion on that & others (I'm sure) will disagree.

None of my pistols have highly tuned triggers or lightened trigger pulls and they have never been any sort of problem. But, they are crisp.
    With regard to a Kimber...well, a Kimber is a Kimber & everybody on this forum already knows my thoughts on The MIMber so I'll not even get into that.
    Certainly I could easily envision how somebody who has never put the "required" 500 "reliability rounds" through their MIMber and then shows up for any "run the gun hard" class would have huge function related problems with their clone with regard to feed reliability and possible broken parts.

Larry Vickers is....well...Larry Vickers and nothing is ever much good unless the Vicker God uses it personally.

I can really only speak for my guns and I have never busted a barrel link or lost a barrel lug or broke a sear or a hammer hook.
    I have never had a plunger tube come loose and they never will if they are properly staked on. I HAVE heard of older Colt collet bushings breaking but, they're pretty much obsolete.

Unlike some other folks I do give a huge amout of credit to GLOCK for making a super reliable Energizer Bunny Pistol but, For Me Personally (AKA Me, Myself, & I) they ergonomically suck and that is all that that I "have" against them. If it was not for that fact I would be in love with them.
    Why should I "learn to love" what I instinctively can't tolerate?

I should also add that there are many custom 1911 Smiths that are producing amazingly incredible 1911s that are cosmetically true works of precision machine-shop pistolcraft.

But, any custom gunsmith with a policy that states; "Here is your pistol...take it out and "run it hard" and then send it back to me for routine and periodic maintenance would not be my particular choice for building me a pistol. Again...just my personal opinion on that.

After reviewing this thread, I guess I am royally done. I own a Rock Island AND it is a compact. Inexpensive and short. I need to quit wearing it while I am on gun sites so it doesnt find out it isnt supposed to work right. Fortunately, it hasnt figured that out yet. LOL!!
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I LOVE glocks, as a matter of fact I retired the 1911 to the safe, but I never had an issue with any 1911 I owned. However as has been said above, some people don't like polymer or don't like ergos and that is fine and as I said before, the 1911 has cemented it's place in US history. I say you own one of each

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links