1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long]

This is a discussion on 1911 Resurgence & Premise [Long] within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Posted here and elsewhere Question: Does anyone have, or know where to find, a comparison of 1911 platform (makers, frame sizes, barrel lengths combined) sales ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posted here and elsewhere

Question: Does anyone have, or know where to find, a comparison of 1911 platform (makers, frame sizes, barrel lengths combined) sales vs ALL other (single action, double action, safe action, etc. combined) semi auto platform sales over the near term (i.e., last 3-4-5 years)?

Premise: “Back in the day" the 1911 platform (hereafter termed 1911) was THE personal combat sidearm. I am still a disciple of Jeff Cooper. That being said, is the 1911 the “best” personal combat sidearm?

So, what is the definition of the “best personal combat sidearm”? I don’t know. Maybe a combination of power, ergonomics, ease of manual of arms, controllability, availability of the weapon and accessories, etc. etc.

Here’s my hypothesis: after perhaps 30 – 40 years, we have yet to find a *vastly* superior fighting weapon for the average person. Has the Glock outsold? Perhaps. Has it alone outsold ALL 1911 iterations? I can’t say. Is it, or any other platform, the best for the *average person*? I can’t answer the question of what constitutes “the average person,” thus my question about sales.

My answer: 1911 remains the best …

-jb

Administrator
    I have to jump off in about one minute but, you KNOW I'll be participating in this post on the morrow.
    I should be able to "chime in" with something useful/helpful.

The 1911 platform numbers would be higher than Glock. I do not know where you would get, if anywhere, definitive figures for this. But, the 1911 platform would be the best selling platform because so many companies offer it, if for no other reason.

My answer.....1911 is the best for me, not necessarily for the average person.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    My answer: 1911 remains the best …

-jb

What can a 1911 type pistol do, that a Sig P220 cannot do?

Answer: NOTHING

Unanswerable. The best personal combat sidearm, is the one based on personal physicalities and attributes, that any given individual can fight with.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

Oh yes there is.....

Be around 100yrs after it's inception and at the 100th birthday be more popular than ever and more copied than any gun in history.

It ain't bragging if you can do it....the 1911 has done it.

It's a purely subjective question, "which is the best". It's impossible, because everyone is so different.

If you're going to compare sales, there are also variables there that are subjective. For example, the average 1911 is more expensive than the average Glock, therefore the average guy is probably going to buy the Glock.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

There will be NO "vastly" superior handgun until someone invents a phaser.

They all launch a bitty piece of lead at a moderate velocity. They only differ in the details. You can argue there really hasn't been a revolutionary change in firearms design since the development of the self-contained metallic cartridge, and the repeater.

Popcorn time...this ought to be good.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not quite true....As the other replier said, stay around 100 years AND ---> Employ AMERICANS!!!! (For the most part, built in the USA. I buy American whenever I can, not German's like Sig or Austrians like Glock (gag). <not to offend Glock lovers, I'm (Mostly) playing with ya>

Quote Originally Posted by AZDaven View Post
    Not quite true....As the other replier said, stay around 100 years AND ---> Employ AMERICANS!!!! (For the most part, built in the USA. I buy American whenever I can, not German's like Sig or Austrians like Glock (gag). <not to offend Glock lovers, I'm (Mostly) playing with ya>
    OK I believe most Springfield 1911's are made in Brazil, the home of Taurus and the horns. I don't actually care as I own a Springfield Loaded but I'm just saying....RIA is made in the Philippines aren't they? I've heard the Remington R1 is made outside the USA as well. I'm not trying to be difficult but to say for the most part 1911's are built in the USA I think is a stretch. There sure seem to be a whole lot of 1911's built somewhere else.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    OK I believe most Springfield 1911's are made in Brazil, the home of Taurus and the horns. I don't actually care as I own a Springfield Loaded but I'm just saying....RIA is made in the Philippines aren't they? I've heard the Remington R1 is made outside the USA as well. I'm not trying to be difficult but to say for the most part 1911's are built in the USA I think is a stretch. There sure seem to be a whole lot of 1911's built somewhere else.
    That's why I said "for the most part". There are ALWAYS exception to the rule. :)

be able to stick around for about 100 years (the 1911) and STILL keep on tickin
    I just couldn't resist the temptation to respond
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by AZDaven View Post
    That's why I said "for the most part". There are ALWAYS exception to the rule. :)
    I think the exceptions based on total sales might be the ones actually made in the USA. I'm no expert and don't claim to be but to say "most" 1911's are made in the USA well all I can say is show me....
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

VIP Member
    When you figure in government contracts, commercial models and a few foreign knock offs there has to be more 1911s around than any other pistol made.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    There will be NO "vastly" superior handgun until someone invents a phaser.

They all launch a bitty piece of lead at a moderate velocity. They only differ in the details. You can argue there really hasn't been a revolutionary change in firearms design since the development of the self-contained metallic cartridge, and the repeater.

Popcorn time...this ought to be good.
    Well, set to "stun."

That's how I feel about all this splitting of hairs over various contrivances for flinging projectiles. The "new and improved" is not nearly so advanced as many believe.

And for an automatic pistol, the 1911 is certainly worthy.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links