Taurus Public Defender Polymer

This is a discussion on Taurus Public Defender Polymer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taurus Public Defender Polymer I had been aware of the Taurus Judge revolvers since they came out, but had not really been interested in them. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Taurus Public Defender Polymer

I had been aware of the Taurus Judge revolvers since they came out, but had not really been interested in them. They seemed like such a novelty item, and really too big and clumsy for what was essentially a snake gun. I have never needed to shoot any snakes after decades of tramping around the plains and mountains in Colorado so never considered the Judge something I had a use for. It seems like a lot of other people did though, Taurus kept coming out with new models and they sold very well.

Two new developments changed my level of interest in the Judge line recently. Ammo makers saw a market for specialty ammo for the 410 and Federal in particular came out with the Premium defensive 4 pellet OOO buck loading made specifically for the Judge revolvers. Taurus then introduced the Public Defender model that was more in line with the size for a carry gun. I saw the new Polymer version highlighted online and decided to pick one up.
    None of the dealers in town had had the polymer version, so I bid on, and won one on Gun Broker. This is the first time I had ever bought a gun without at least handling it first.

I picked it up yesterday from the FFL I had do the transfer. The last few guns I had bought (kel Tek, Glock, and Charter Arms) had all come in nice plastic lockable cases, but the Taurus ships in just a cardboard box. The Polymer Public Defender is just as the name implies, mostly polymer. It has a blued steel cylinder and a blued steel barrel and sub-frame encased in a polymer shell. The fit and finish is very nice. All the polymer is cleanly molded (much nicer than the Kel-Tec and just as good as my Glock) the steel parts are well finished also, there are no sharp edges, burrs or flaws I can find yet. The trigger and hammer have a case-hardened finish.

The action functions fine with a good lockup, the cylinder opens and closes smoothly. They trigger pull in double action is smooth and even but somewhat heavy. I do not have a trigger pull gauge and estimate it at around 11-12 pounds. The single action is very crisp and not heavy at all. I cycled the action a lot and could find no issues with it.

Like all Taurus revolvers, it has the safety system built into the hammer. I will never use it, but did test that it functions normally. The same key that fits the security system also fits the two screws that look like they hold the frame together. I normally completely disassemble any new gun but there were no disassembly instructions included, nor could I find any online, so I did not attempt to take this gun apart other that removing the grip. I did flush it out with polymer safe gun-scrubber spray and lubricated it with gun oil.

The front sight is orange fiber optic in a steel frame and the rear is a windage adjustable square notch with rounded sides. It points well and has a good sight picture. The Ribber grips are small, I can only get two fingers on them, but they are nicely cushioned and seem to fit me well despite their size.
    I bought a box of the Federal OOO buck from Wal-Mart for $12 and will use it for testing the gun out tomorrow.

Overall I like the gun a lot. I have read a lot about Taurus quality control issues, but this one is very well put together. There are a few things I do not like. The trigger is grooved, and because of the case hardened finish, it does not look like I could polish it smooth. The cylinder release works fine, but is very low profile and could use more checkering for a more positive surface to push. The grip seems a little small, but I will have to see how it handles during actual shooting. Overall it is small and light enough to be a viable CCW option. It is bigger and heavier (at about 24 oz.) than my Charter Arms, but smaller and lighter than my Glock 19.
    The real test of course, is how well it shoots. I will find out soon.

I've always taken a serious liking to the Judge. And I've always taken a serious DISLIKE to Taurus' advertising for the gun.

In my opinion, it was always disingenuous advertising, aimed at getting people that are less knowledgeable about firearms to purchase a product that was ill-suited for self defense. In other words, deliberately getting people to trust their life to something that was an ineffective weapon when loaded with .410 shells. It'd be a darned good weapon when loaded with .45 Long Colt, but when's the last time you saw a Taurus Judge ad showing anything but shotgun patterns?

That being said, I haven't seen any reports on how effective the Judge-designed .410 shells are. I probably would still keep it loaded with .45 Long Colt, myself, since theBoxoTruth ran a water jug test that showed a .410 slug penetrating less than a .45 Long Colt round. I am curious how the Federal 000 buck performs out of this weapon though.
    Gav1230 likes this.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

I agree on the bird shot. The test I have read on the Federal OOO seem to put the buckshot 410 rounds on a new level compared to the old 3 pellet Winchester rounds. People are reporting good groups out to 20 yards and the plated pellets penetrate much better, at four water filled jugs (meeting the 12 requirement)
    I am going to try to pick up some 45LC today to test also.
    Here is a link to the YouTube video of Hickok45 testing various rounds from the judge.

YouTube - hickok45's Channel

Hickok45. Gotta love that guy.

Every time I watch his videos I'm reminded just how badly I need to bite the bullet and get myself some professional zombie-defense training.

In all seriousness, I PRAY that my show can be a third as good as his.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

My wife has the Judge. It is waaaaaay too big for concealed carry IMO. But I love the gun. I shoot gophers in my yard with the 4 shot. I keep it loaded with 000 and 2 45Colts as a night gun. I even carry it sometimes as a woods bumming gun with all 45colts. I sure like the trigger on the Judge. Very smooth.
    I think the looks of the polymer are hard to get past. But this day and age, if your not thinking out of the box then your just old!
    NRA Life Member

Howdy!

Don't have the polymer but I did recently pickup a Ultra-lite Public Defender and like it.

"Happy Trails"
    Chiefneon

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats on the new weapon.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We bought one yesterday,went to the range today.WOW! My wife and I are very impressed.Recoil is less than our .357.The 000 buck leaves an interesting pattern.The spread of the #4 shot is large.If you miss with this thing,you might need glasses.I love Glock and S&W,but this gun is impressive.I spoke with Midway about a Uncle Mike's shoulder holster set-up.Unfortunately they do not know which one will fit this gun.Might be a trial and error situation.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

What brand of OOO did you use? The new Federal 4 pellet OOO loads will hold a 4 inch spread out to about 15 yards in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    What brand of OOO did you use? The new Federal 4 pellet OOO loads will hold a 4 inch spread out to about 15 yards in mine.
    Yes,Federal.We were shooting at 30'-40'

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I'm not too keen on polymer revolvers, but if you like it then that's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    My wife has the Judge. It is waaaaaay too big for concealed carry IMO. But I love the gun. I shoot gophers in my yard with the 4 shot. I keep it loaded with 000 and 2 45Colts as a night gun. I even carry it sometimes as a woods bumming gun with all 45colts. I sure like the trigger on the Judge. Very smooth.
    I think the looks of the polymer are hard to get past. But this day and age, if your not thinking out of the box then your just old!
    I just wanna know one thing: How do you get the li'l buggers to come up out of their hole so you can shoot them?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm not too keen on polymer revolvers, but if you like it then that's all that matters

I just wanna know one thing: How do you get the li'l buggers to come up out of their hole so you can shoot them?
    My wife says I remind her of Bill Murray. I can see the little guys throwing dirt so I creep up on them, get the right angle, and then it's off to gopher heaven, thanks to the #4 shot. I can't afford an African safari, so I take my pleasures where I get them.
    NRA Life Member

Instead of Haystacker you should consider "GopherWacker" Sounds Fun!
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I was curious if it was ok to mix the ammo.I do not see what it could hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links