New to me Taurus TCP (range report)

This is a discussion on New to me Taurus TCP (range report) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as some of you guys may have read I bought a new Taurus TCP last week. I finally got to the range today to ...

Thread: New to me Taurus TCP (range report)

New to me Taurus TCP (range report)

Well as some of you guys may have read I bought a new Taurus TCP last week. I finally got to the range today to shoot it. I got through about 3 or 4 mags or American Eagle FMJ rounds with no problems. And the the SHTF. It started with failure to eject about once per mag. I thought this could be from me limp wristing but no matter how tight I held it it seemed to happen about once per mag. After fighting through box 1 of ammo, I swapped to Magtech FMJ rounds. It got worse. I started having failure to fire issues. The firing pin would strike the primer but not with enough force to set off the round. I could reload the round and it would go off. Still had problem with ejecting and returning to battery.
    I loaded up a mag of Federal Hydra-shoks and the first mag went through with no problems. After that it was the same thing again. This finally ended with the gun not firing at all. The hammer doesn't seem to be falling hard enough to set off the primer.
    When I pull the trigger slowly you can hear 2 clicks. I field stripped the gun to watch the hammer fall. The first click I hear is the hammer falling back to where it sits at rest. The second click is the hammer actually falling to strike the firing pin. Occasionally the hammer will fall in a normal manner.
    I think that's the basic summary of my problems today.

So, I will be calling Taurus on Monday morning and sending the gun back to them. I've heard horror stories about their customer service so I've got my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've dealt with Taurus before. You need to tell them to send you a postage paid shipping label. They will not offer it to you. Not sure how they do theirs now, but they can send it to you in an e-mail that all you have to do is print it out and tape it to the package.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Couple of years back I bought a Taurus Goucho. Had problems. Took the pistol back to my dealer. Dealer took care of shipping it back to Taurus. My only gripe is it took about 3 months to get it back to me. 2 points I'm trying to make. 1. My dealer dealt with Taurus. 2. Taurus did make the pistol right.
    Hang in there and good luck.
    NRA Life Member

I called Taurus today. I've heard the horror stories of their customer service but the guy I talked to was very polite and was quick to offer to fix the gun. He said I would have it back in 2 weeks so I hope I continue to be impressed with their service.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought I should update this. As stated above I called Taurus on 2/28 and shipped my gun back to them. They received the gun on 3/5. I got an email from them at that time saying that they had received the gun and gave me a number to track the progress online. The website never worked for me, when I called them again the guy said the website does not for 90% of people.
    Anyway, I got an email today saying the gun had been shipped back to me overnight and that I will have it tomorrow.

So, as long as everything is fixed correctly, I'm pretty impressed by the customer service. Ten day turnaround is super fast in my book.

Sounds good. Glad to hear you had a good experience. Keep us posted as to whether your issues have been fixed. Few things can wreck your range day more than a new pistol that won't function correctly!

Sucks to hear. Hope taurus fixes the gun for you.

I bought a TCP a few weeks ago and shot it for the first time this weekend. Couple boxes of american eagle went threw fine as did a box of hornaday critical defense(that hurt my wallet a lot though).

Just got back home from picking my gun up from FedEx. There was little info included on what they actually did. There was simply a list of problems found: Misfires, Jams, Fails to extract and out beside each it said "replaced" so I'm not sure what they replaced. I made a very quick stop by a friend's house and fired 2 mags with no problem. I'll definitely do more testing as soon as I have time but so far so good.

Oh and by the way, they included 2 new mags.

Wow nice to hear that they took care of you with 2 new extra magazines. From my understanding the magazines for the TCP are hard to find in some places. Keep us updated. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    Just got back home from picking my gun up from FedEx. There was little info included on what they actually did. There was simply a list of problems found: Misfires, Jams, Fails to extract and out beside each it said "replaced" so I'm not sure what they replaced. I made a very quick stop by a friend's house and fired 2 mags with no problem. I'll definitely do more testing as soon as I have time but so far so good.

Oh and by the way, they included 2 new mags.

Links