Sig 238?

Sig 238?

This is a discussion on Sig 238? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just curious if anyone has heard much about whether or not Sig has ironed out all the original problems this pistol was known ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238?

Sig 238?

I was just curious if anyone has heard much about whether or not Sig has ironed out all the original problems this pistol was known to have after initial release? I have wanted to get one of these for a while and was just curious as to what others have heard about ones purchased in the past few months.

Talked to a girl who works at my range the other day about it. She picked one up right around November after much deliberation. According to her she "loves the little thing" - she's shooting it very regularly and it's treating her very well.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Yeah I just like the concept of it. A small pocket pistol with a nice short trigger pull. I love my P3AT but the trigger pull and reset are awful in comparison. Plus I think the P238 points a lot better than most pocket .380s.

JD
    Administrator
    My second (replacement 238) pistol was showing signs of soon to be failures. I need to call Sig and have them send me a new recoil spring and see if that takes care of my returned crushed case mouth issue. It's very possible I exceeded the life of the recoil spring just in testing out the gun given the high failure rate with my previous pistol.

Bit over 500 rounds thru mine..no hiccups.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My second (replacement 238) pistol was showing signs of soon to be failures. I need to call Sig and have them send me a new recoil spring and see if that takes care of my returned crushed case mouth issue. It's very possible I exceeded the life of the recoil spring just in testing out the gun given the high failure rate with my previous pistol.
    What were the production dates on your two? I hate that I even have to worry about these issues because I own 2 other Sigs and both are flawless.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    What were the production dates on your two? I hate that I even have to worry about these issues because I own 2 other Sigs and both are flawless.
    I think my replacement gun was made Sep of 2010, I'll have to find the box to be sure. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd be that worried. Sig is taking pretty good care of their customers experiencing issues, or you can wait for Colt to start selling the Mustang again, if they bring it back in the steel frame Plus II model I'm ditching my 238.

I have had mine since Nov 09 and it has over 750 rounds through it with no problems. I have upgraded to the new flat recoil spring but have not tried the 3rd generation magazines nor the 7 round extended magazine. Most appear to run quite well but a few lemons have popped up.

Over on the sigforum one of the respected gunsmiths has spoken about his concerns with the reliability of the entire platform based upon his understandingn of the mechanics of the design and there ist at least one member who has shot a few thousand rounds through his with quite a few trips back to Sig and still it has reliability issues but those stories appear to be the exception and not the rule.

Mine is on my hip right now and its what I trust me life to daily. I am planning on adding its big brother (Sig C3) to the collection later this year but that is more for the larger caliber rather than reliability issues. I just want two options, discreet and small and the rest of the time. I went small to get used to concealed carry and now am ready to upgrade.

My wife had shot a Mustang that I owned many years ago and she liked it. I bought her a SIG P-238 a couple of weeks ago and she really likes it. We have ran 300 rounds through it and one mag failed to feed last round, but it was an old Colt 7 shoot mag. I carried it about a week just to get the feel of it and the bride carried LCR. i could carry 2 magazines in a medium knife case on my belt or in my top overalls pocket. She works outside with animals a lot and she carries often in a fanny pack--she prefers the SIG over a small frame .38.

I just like single action pistols and this one shoots and feels good in my ham hands. It feels llike a pistol, not a toy. I normally carry larger pistols, but could see this one in some shorts and dress clothes. I buy what I like and shoot well, and I carry and own same.

I was just curious if anyone has heard much about whether or not Sig has ironed out all the original problems this pistol was known to have after initial release? I have wanted to get one of these for a while and was just curious as to what others have heard about ones purchased in the past few months.
    Be sure you pick one up built in 2011. Previous models do not necessarily have all the modifications and Check-Mate magazine. I paid a price buying (2) models, early.

I have one that meets your parameters, and LOVE it. No issues, "points" well for me naturally which is important for its purpose, and a pretty good trigger considering. Far better than my LCP, which will now be relegated to "safe queen."

So that's one check mark in the positive column of your poll....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Geeeze JD....I thought they(Sig) would have gone through yours with a fine tooth comb, BUT it seems they (sig) are too busy trying to keep up with their QC problems....I'd be a little tweeked too, after your last encounter with Sig..(you sent your gun back several times as I recall) ..The Recoil Springs have been an issue..(I think I mentioned it prior in another thread) Sending you a PM you might be interested
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Does anyone know if they will make, or there is a way to make the safety ambidextrous?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Does anyone know if they will make, or there is a way to make the safety ambidextrous?
    Cylinder & Slide had a kit of the Mustangs / Gov't .380, I don't think they make it anymore, it ran about $90.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Customized creationz will do it, they are well respected on the sigforum board.
    Customized Creationz Custom Gun Works Shop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links