Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW - Page 2

Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba I hope you are. Most any ccw gun would offer arguably more protection. Glock 19 for example is smaller, lighter, and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

  1. #16
    Member Array TheOhioan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I hope you are.
    Most any ccw gun would offer arguably more protection.

    Glock 19 for example is smaller, lighter, and has 2 more rounds than a Sig 229 in 9mm.

    Hope you never need those 2 extra rounds.


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array usmc3169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    866
    I can't figure out why some one would tell you NOT to carry it.... Sig envy maybe? That is one heck of a nice gun, and I would carry that baby everywhere. I preffered to carry mine in a Galco Avenger OWB holster, but it also did well in a Desantis. I only carried mine (P229 Stainless Elite) in OWB holsters. Good luck and for pete's sake post some pictures~!!!!!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

  3. #18
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    I have zero issues concealing a 228R on my 5'7" 160lb frame, so saying it's hard to conceal is a poor argument, IMHO.

    As for having to learn the DA & SA pulls, excuses. Spend some time with it in the range and it becomes second nature, the learning curve is fast. I pick mine up, point, shoot. I don't agonize over the different pulls, I just do it.

    If you desire to have more magazines than the two that come with it, Midway has factory SIG Sauer stamped magazines for $38.

    The 229 is a fine firearm, the Elite Dark is just icing on the cake. As "pretty" as it is, I'll have no worries carrying my 220 Carry Elite Dark when I can pick it up. I'm not a safe queen type of owner. If I own it, I'm going to use it. And if I ever had to use it in SD and it gets taken for evidence, I'll be more than happy to buy a new one.
    shooterX and claude clay like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  4. #19
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,552
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I can't figure out why some one would tell you NOT to carry it.... Sig envy maybe? That is one heck of a nice gun, and I would carry that baby everywhere. I preffered to carry mine in a Galco Avenger OWB holster, but it also did well in a Desantis. I only carried mine (P229 Stainless Elite) in OWB holsters. Good luck and for pete's sake post some pictures~!!!!!!
    There is no Sig envy here. If I wanted Sigs for CC I would have them. Believe me when I say that I can get two Sigs for what some of my 1911's cost. The reason is that there are better firearms for CC. It does not mean you can't CC them, the question is why with all the other choices out there that are lighter, smaller, and typically can have just as much capacity.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    I daily carry a Combat Commander,but after my weekly range session last night I decided next week to strap on my 229 Equinox 40 S&W and do some timed draw and shoot sessions to see if I can trim some time off and tighten my groups up.With 2 spare mags I will be going from 25 rounds of 45 to 37 rounds of 40.As far as the weight it should be pretty close to the same
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  6. #21
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    I'll admit to having sig envy, I've got Sig envy! I want one badddd!
    Ianthin likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    There is no Sig envy here. If I wanted Sigs for CC I would have them. Believe me when I say that I can get two Sigs for what some of my 1911's cost. The reason is that there are better firearms for CC. It does not mean you can't CC them, the question is why with all the other choices out there that are lighter, smaller, and typically can have just as much capacity.
    Not to argue but smaller and lighter to me are not necessarily always a good thing.

  8. #23
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Most any ccw gun would offer arguably more protection.

    Glock 19 for example is smaller, lighter, and has 2 more rounds than a Sig 229 in 9mm.

    Hope you never need those 2 extra rounds.
    I have even less, 12+1. 357SIG.

  9. #24
    VIP Member
    Array C hawk Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    W. Washington
    Posts
    3,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Not to argue but smaller and lighter to me are not necessarily always a good thing.
    They are not always a good thing if you are talking about a non CC firearm. For pure shooting I love a larger heavy gun, but I don't carry them concealed as certain features are better for different roles. YMMV
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,080
    My go-to carry is a P229....I have no problem carrying IWB or OWB....using leather from ubgholsters....or a SERPA
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  11. #26
    Member Array Fastball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    York County, PA
    Posts
    424
    I've been carrying a 229R in .357sig for almost 2 years now and I'm a longtime 1911 guy.

    I carry it in a shoulder rig in the cooler months when I can conceal with a jacket and have a MTAC for the summer months, although for really hot summer carry I usually revert back to my Officer's model in a Maxcon V. That combo is hard to beat in the summer, but I do look forward to cooler weather so I can feel comfy with my trusty 229!

    The P229 in .357sig is the most accurate, reliable, out of the box weapon I have ever owned in 20+yrs of CC.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

  12. #27
    Senior Member Array dunndw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,123
    I've carried 228s, 229s and 220s along with 1911s. For carry, a 228 is hard to beat. If your 229 has the SRT trigger it'll be a thing of beauty.
    Right now I'm strapped with my 220 SAS, Sunday I took 1st place in my (small) division in IDPA with my 220 Elite Dark TB. carried it all day, stopped by two stores on the way home, no one noticed it under a 5.11 shirt

    Carry what you train with, train with what you carry.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

  13. #28
    New Member Array Deputy40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for all of your input! Here is my new Sig P229 Elite Dark
    IMAG0021.jpgsiggalco.jpegIMAG0021.jpgsiggalco.jpeg
    BradL and bigdog44 like this.

  14. #29
    Member Array eagleeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I agree. For all of this talk about ease of concealing, yeah....right. 'bout like trying to conceal a Hi-Point.

    Ever notice on NCIS, when Gibb's tells the team to load up.....they all have to get their gun out of a drawer, there is a reason for that.
    The reason they all get their guns out of the drawer is because of a NCIS policy to not carry on person in office.
    Not because they are to heavy to carry.
    shooterX likes this.

  15. #30
    RKM
    RKM is offline
    Distinguished Member Array RKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    I disagree w/ not carrying it "just in case it needed to be used in a self-defense situation." You can count on Sig when your life is on the line.

    If, heaven forbid, you have to use it in SD, I think surviving using the best equipment you own is more important than losing your gun, possibly permanently, because you and yours will be alive to replace it.
    I'm guessing what he meant was, the P229 Elite Dark is such a nice gun, if you use it in a self defense situation, obviously, it's going to be taken from you. Put in evidence forever, and you may never see it again. That's why cheap, but dependable Glock's make good carry guns. You can just go buy another one pretty easily :)

    But yeah, as far as reliability, size, etc. I thing the P229 would be fine to carry.

    Since I'm broke, if I ever buy a Sig, it's probably going to be a P2022. But I dream of a P220 Carry in my future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sig P229 Elite, Good EDC?
    By TJK68 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
  2. Sig P229 elite Dark
    By Maxime75us in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM
  3. sig 229 elite dark (9mm)
    By jwalker497 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
  4. P229 Elite
    By Phantomoak in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
  5. New-to-me - Sig P229 Elite Stainless (Pictures)
    By SigSire in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: January 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Search tags for this page

p229 elite
,
p229 elite dark
,
p229 elite dark review
,
p229 enhanced elite review
,

sig p229 elite

,

sig p229 elite dark

,
sig p229 elite dark review
,
sig p229 elite review
,
sig p229 enhanced elite review
,

sig p229 review

,
sig sauer p229 elite dark
,
sig sauer p229 elite dark review
Click on a term to search for related topics.