Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice-lookin' P229! The only complication I can see with this particular variant is the forward slide serrations may act as barbs with some holsters, hindering ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Nice-lookin' P229! The only complication I can see with this particular variant is the forward slide serrations may act as barbs with some holsters, hindering a clear, smooth draw.

As one who has toted a P229 concealed most of the time since 2007, much of the time from 2004 to 2007, and having toted 5" all-steel 1911s, heavier sixguns, and such, over the years, I find my various P229 pistols EASY to carry concealed. A P229 fits my hand, and FILLS my hand, perfectly, so I can get to pulling the trigger hard and fast, and still get good hits. Heavy? No, I like a bit of heft in a carry gun, because I may well have to fire, if duty calls.

I cannot tell, by the weight of the weapon, if it is in the holster, so why go lighter? It does not print against my usual cover garments, so why go smaller?

Of course, I use my P229s as duty pistols, so life is simpler if I use them for concealed carry, too, and as I buy my duty firearms, I am also getting better value.

Working and living in an urban area, I must pick my shots, so as not to shoot the wrong people and things, and don't sweat the lesser capacity of a P229 compared to other pistols. I usually have an SP101 or a second P229 with me, anyway.

2. Remove Ads

Nice gun! I had a 229 for a little while that was really nice. I carried it for a few months but ended up going back to a glock. I like the gun but I could not shoot that first DA shot very well and always pulled to the side with that long heavy trigger pull. I am sure I could have gotten used to that first pull but since I was better with the glock I sold it off. I think someday I wouldn't mind getting another sig as a range toy...maybe one of the 226 x fives in SAO.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    deputy40, i am very very jealous of your piece, enjoy it. To those who say its hard to carry or conceal a huge gun, i carry a 629 4 inch .44 mag often and as we type i have a compact .45 bersa riding on my ankle. That bersa is not small, but it is all steel and heavy. It can be done, it just takes getting used too, also, anyone else notice how noone on NCIS has been seen actually reloading their pistol, they all just run through a mag in big firefights and are out of ammo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sig P229 Elite

I own a Sig P229 enhanced elite, and it is a very fine pistol! You might have to pay big money, but it is worth every penny. I carry p229 all day seven days a week. Yes, it is little bulky, but I have no problems carrying it! All you need is the right holster and a good belt. I know many of my friends wanted to buy P229 Elite but, because of its high price tag, they bought something else and end up regretting. If you want a Sig, save that extra dollar and buy a p229E, you will be very happy!
    .XX likes this.

I carry a 229 Equinox 40 when I'm not carrying my combat commander,I carry mine in a Homemade Leather OWB holster,it rides and conceals ok especially if I'm wearing my bike vest.I bought 2 extra factory mags for 35.00 each + tax so I have 4 mags,Sometimes on a long trip I carry it in the jeep as a backup or quick access in the door pocket
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have carried a 229 in 9mm for two and half years on duty now and I also carry it concealed off duty as well. I use a Galco Skyops holster and it is nice shooting, easy to conceal and down right reliable...and yes, I used it over yonder. If I can make one change, I would get rid of the 9mm and go 40 but that's just me.
    .XX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    A P229 SCT is in my carry rotation and one of my favorite platforms. The only cosmetic difference in the two models is the beavertail grip safety. The P229 is a superb fighting gun if you work with the DA/SA trigger system until it becomes natural. I wouldn't have any qualms about CC'ing your Elite Dark.

The issue with the P229 for concealed carry comes from the grip fame. A double stack gun wants to twist out and away from your body due to the weight being in the grip. The Sig's short barrel enhances this problem by not having the length to press into your body and hold the grip area tight to your waist and requires a well fitting quality rig (belt and holster), to overcome this drawback.

My rig is from High Noon Holster Co. (Down Under IWB and Rock Steady Belt), with good gear you can pull it off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    I carried a P229 for many years in a Don Hume H726. It's a pancake style, holds the gun close to the body, doesn't have a lot of holster showing below the belt, and the front is cut very low to enable a regular draw stroke.

I also had to have it converted to DAO per agency regs but it never affected the handling. This was long before the Elite Dark was even thought of (the "Classic" series was the only series back then) although it looks like a nice piece.

I disagree w/ not carrying it "just in case it needed to be used in a self-defense situation." You can count on Sig when your life is on the line.

If, heaven forbid, you have to use it in SD, I think surviving using the best equipment you own is more important than losing your gun, possibly permanently, because you and yours will be alive to replace it.

Nice choice, good luck and train hard.

BTW The only reason I stopped carrying it was it's not a .45.
    You had me up until you said "...it's not a .45." It seems that most government, LE and military agencies use other calibers for their mainstream guns. They all must be stupid because everyone knows that real men carry only .45's :) The last civilian I saw shot and stopped in his tracks was a known mafia guy who doubled over when shot in the stomach with a Saturday night special in .22lr and went down to his knees immediately. He died the next day but was stopped by one shot from a .22 in a non vital area. Getting shot really hurts. I was just grazed and it hurt like hell. My friend was shot in the foot in Nam and was screaming bloody murder. And yet there are many on gun forums who feel that they must arm themselves for worse case scenarios. There is always that bad guy who will absorb several rounds of 9mm +P just to see how much money you have in your wallet. Where I lived we had a man trampled to death by an elephant who escaped from a traveling zoo. That is no reason for me to carry an elephant gun or is it? Stop and realize that there is only a fraction of an inch difference between the major handgun calibers. Certainly do not make decissions based on math by people who cannot or will not do proper testing into ballistic gel. Sort of like debating which car will win the Daytona 500 based on math rather than actually running the race because the debators do not drive and only look at a few of the variables that decide the outcome. The NRA study shows that shots are fired in only 1% of cases where a gun is needed. That means that 99% of the time any gun will do. If you look at that 1%, there is no mention about caliber. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find documentated cases of civilian shooters being killed because they did not use the right caliber. It may have happened but remember that we are a nation of about 900,000 million people so a few isolated cases are no reason for concern.

I own and carry some large guns so carrying the p229 is not an issue for me, if I can conceal the 57 I can conceal anything.
    right now the sig is my edc, as it gets warming I'll go to one of the smaller 9mm.

VIP Member
    I don't believe the size of a P229 is concealment prohibitive, I have no issues concealing my P226 IWB, it all comes down to how you dress and the quality of your carry system (holster and belt). I can almost all the handguns I have IWB, it's just a matter of what your willing to do, if weight is an issue and you'd rather carry something smaller & lighter nothing wrong with that either.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I love my basic p229r. it's the most comfortable to shoot and accurate handgun I own and currently sits in a quick access safe by my bed with a weapon light on it because it's too heavy and fat for me to want to carry it everyday in anything other than a duty type holster.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Most any ccw gun would offer arguably more protection.

Glock 19 for example is smaller, lighter, and has 2 more rounds than a Sig 229 in 9mm.

Hope you never need those 2 extra rounds.
    Yeah......but it's not a SIG!!!!

Believe me......I'm torn between Glocks and Sigs and after 2 years I still haven't decided what's best. I only carry 45 pistols. Have a Glock 30sf and a Sig Sauer P220 Carry. Shot the Sig today at the range. Shot 10 rounds at 25 yards two handed and put all but 1 in a 5inch circle. I can't do that with a Glock and believe me, I've tried. So I go back and forth between the two pistols....... The Glock's lighter, has higher capacity, and is more compact than the Sig and is easier to maintain. The Sig is more accurate (for me anyways), fits my hand better,the magazines conceal better in my pocket since they are single stack, and the Sig has classic good looks. For for now at least, I go back and forth between the two pistols. Both are equally reliable. Love them both, but just can't pick just one.....

sigs are my favorite guns. i LIKE the DA/SA with de-cocker trigger set-up. i'm also a bit of a holster nut. i carry my P-229 (i have both a standard 229, and an Elite Dark) in a Kramer Belt Scabbard (the pancake style), which i've decided i like better than their Vertical Scabbard, which is the 'avenger' style. i also use a Kramer Paddle, as well as belt and paddle rigs from Blade-Tech and Comp Tac. what is consistant is the location: behind the right (strong side) hip. spare magazine pouches are kydex single and double pouches from Blade-Tech and Comp Tac. belts include The Wilderness 1.5" Five Stitch and Frequent Flyer belts, and 1.25" belts from Kramer and Galco. i also have both the .40S&W and .357SIG barrels for each gun.

and yes, carrying a beautiful gun has it's 'risks': the first time i wore my Elite Dark with it's black aluminum grips, i scratched the outside grip panel on something. if you want your gorgeous pristine gun to remain that way, you have to leave it in the safe, and that's not why i buy guns.

the 'best' is the enemy of the 'good'. and anyway, today's 'best' probably won't be tomorrow's 'best', and do you really want to keep changing your primary carry gun? and furthermore, what's 'best' for me is not necessarily the 'best' for someone else.

the beavertail

Does anyone who has the p229 elite as their ccw have any difficulties with the beavertail? I think if I could, I'd like to get the P22p without the beavertail but with the SRT and adjustable combat night sights, but I don't think that's possible...

Dave

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    You had me up until you said "...it's not a .45." It seems that most government, LE and military agencies use other calibers for their mainstream guns. They all must be stupid because everyone knows that real men carry only .45's :) The last civilian I saw shot and stopped in his tracks was a known mafia guy who doubled over when shot in the stomach with a Saturday night special in .22lr and went down to his knees immediately. He died the next day but was stopped by one shot from a .22 in a non vital area. Getting shot really hurts. I was just grazed and it hurt like hell. My friend was shot in the foot in Nam and was screaming bloody murder. And yet there are many on gun forums who feel that they must arm themselves for worse case scenarios. There is always that bad guy who will absorb several rounds of 9mm +P just to see how much money you have in your wallet. Where I lived we had a man trampled to death by an elephant who escaped from a traveling zoo. That is no reason for me to carry an elephant gun or is it? Stop and realize that there is only a fraction of an inch difference between the major handgun calibers. Certainly do not make decissions based on math by people who cannot or will not do proper testing into ballistic gel. Sort of like debating which car will win the Daytona 500 based on math rather than actually running the race because the debators do not drive and only look at a few of the variables that decide the outcome. The NRA study shows that shots are fired in only 1% of cases where a gun is needed. That means that 99% of the time any gun will do. If you look at that 1%, there is no mention about caliber. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find documentated cases of civilian shooters being killed because they did not use the right caliber. It may have happened but remember that we are a nation of about 900,000 million people so a few isolated cases are no reason for concern.
    Well, golly, actually, the population of the United States, at the moment I checked, is about 315 million and counting, if it matters. That's about 3,000 times less than nine hundred thousand million.

I have seen an estimate the gun is not fired in 80% of defensive gun uses, but I've never seen hard data to substantiate that.

Trying to find real data on civillian self defense. The best I've found are the statistics from Cato Institute study of the NRA Armed Citizen data. The conclusions from that data, as reported by Claud Werner, show that the most likely scenario is 2 shots at slightly in excess of arms length. At that distance most calibers, even .22, work reasonably well. Reloading only took place in about 1/2% of the incidents (3 out of 482 - one of which involved 14 shots with a .32 to kill a lion - yikes). Shots were fired in 72% of incidents (a long way from 1%), a statistic at definite odds with the 20% other people estimate.

The other things I found interesting about the study were:

52% took place in the home, 32% in a business, 9% in public places, 7% in and around vehicles.

There is data on the caliber in pretty much all the incidents in the study, but not in news stories. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%. .380 and below were at 23%. .40 caliber and up were at 15%. At the distances in involved, even the .380 and under guns (.32, .25ACP, and .22LR) had 30% immediate lethality, i.e. one shot kills.

The firearm was on the defender at the start of the incident in only 20% of the cases. Rest of the time it was obtained from storage.

Multiple bad guys in 36% of cases. The most common response was for all the bad guys, that still could, to leave after the first shot(s) were fired by the defender.

It's an oddly chosen sample, but it is actual data derrived from actual events. The numbers come from events that happened and aren't an estimate of what might be based on an analyst's fantasy.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links