Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I EDC a 229 and love it, it's just the right size not to heavy despite what the whiners say and it fits my hand ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

I EDC a 229 and love it, it's just the right size not to heavy despite what the whiners say and it fits my hand like it was designed just for me. I love my 229 so much I'm looking for a second one. I'd take my 229 over ANY glock that I've ever owned, period.

2. Remove Ads

Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    I EDC a 229 and love it, it's just the right size not to heavy despite what the whiners say and it fits my hand like it was designed just for me. I love my 229 so much I'm looking for a second one. I'd take my 229 over ANY glock that I've ever owned, period.
    I own and love both and carry a Glock. Not wanting to carry a heavier gun when there are lighter/smaller options that can be deployed with equal effectiveness is not whining. It's practicality. I'm not trying to win any beauty contests with my EDC. They both put holes in the same places. The Sig does it with more style and the Glock does it cheaper, lighter, thinner, and faster (for me). not everyone has the same criteria for an EDC firearm and weight is at the very top of a lot of people's list.

VIP Member
    I use a kangaroo carry for my sig 229. DA/SA SAS .40 cal. It disappears, I carry it like that as often as I can. Recently I asked my grown son if I was CCW. He couldn't tell at all by looking, i even moved around to tighten my shirt a bit and give him a clue, he did find it after checking my waist. He was impressed how well it hides. Comfortable to carry like that. Granted it might be a bit slower on the draw, but handy to get to while seated, especially in a car.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I wish, (in a weird sorta way), that I could own a Glock. I mean I can own one, I just can't shoot the darn thing worth a crap!!

It points like a 2x4 and that trigger,...NO WAY!!!

Now my 229R, the first time I shot it was at a big fancy indoor shooting range and the RO watched behind me. After my first 2 mags, he said, "dang nice shooting, mister". Again, best shooting gun I have ever owned out of the box.

BTW, I had mine sent back to Sig Custom Shop and had them do the Action Enhancement Package as well as the SRT. To be honest, I am more impressed with the DA improvement, than the SRT upgrade.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

LOVE my SIG 229 Elite Dark

I've been carrying this pistol for several years now. I have IWB, as well as the "Detective Carry" holsters from Kirkpatrick's, as well as a Taurag belt holster and a Galco SOB - depending on when, where, etc, I love carrying my SIG. Some people may think it is a little large/bulky for concealed carry, but it depends on your build, your preferences, and how you like to carry. I also live in a state which allows "open" carry, so I don't have to worry about complete concealment all the time. However, for comfort and discretion I would trust Kirkpatrick's any day! And I wouldn't trust my life, or my family to a lesser gun. It is an expensive piece of equipment - but with care it will last a lifetime; and if I ever need it, that lifetime might be longer than if I were unarmed or carried a "cheap" gun. That's my two cents.

IMO out of the box sigs are horrible!! I changed its name to bob marley because its always jamin.. make sure you put a few hundred rounds through that magazine before you trust your life with it.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    What Sig/Sigs do you have and what ammo were you using? I'm just curious not trying to start a debate. I have a 229 sas .40 I bought last spring and haven't had a problem with it.

I also have a 229 SAS and a 229 Elite and a Nitron all in 40 and my son has a 229 in 40 and not one of these guns has ever had a problem in any way and they have run a lot of rounds through them. Also have a 224 in 40 the had issues right out of the box but Sig took care of that. I bet my life on Sigs everyday.

If you can conceal it do it. I have a Sig P228 that I tried a few times. It could conceal fine but was very uncomfortable while sitting in the car. Probably was more because of the holster than the gun though.

I have a 239 and a 229 elite. They are really nice guns but hefty. They are concealable in 3 of 4 seasons. Not real likely to carry my sig in summer. Then I opt for something smaller. Just how it is. All I know is I find the SIGs easier to carry than my 686+ and I ccw it as well. Just own a good belt.
    image.jpg
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    What Sig/Sigs do you have and what ammo were you using? I'm just curious not trying to start a debate. I have a 229 sas .40 I bought last spring and haven't had a problem with it.

sig p938 nightmare, the stock magazines need to be broken in.. Its starting to get better now but it still jams on the last round every time. When I first got the gun it would jam EVERY round... then i bought an aftermarket magazine and it works flawlessly. but as soon as you put that factory mag back in she starts jammin again. i have a buddy who has the same gun and his factory magazine does the same thing
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

I carry a Sig 228 very well using a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba IWB. I forget it's there, give Jason a call, you will be happy you did.

It's not my summer carry gun but I sure do love carrying it when the weather is a bit cooler. I use my Remora for grab and go IWB and a Fist K2 high ride when I am carrying my 229 with cover garments or OC. Honestly, the Remora is my favorite for the ease of use, doesn't move on me and is usually my go to. Sure it's a bit larger of a gun, but man...in the hand I have not found anything more comfortable and dead nuts reliable.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

I regularly carry my P229 (.357 SIG) in a TT Gunleather Mike's Special. With this holster, it is quite comfortable to carry and conceals well.
    Last edited by Talking_Monkey; December 12th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Great gun, fun at the range milt sparks an kramer make. Holsters that will carry it well

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links