Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

This is a discussion on Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to hear others thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark .40 s&w as a CCW. Anyone currently carrying one? How are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark as a CCW

I would like to hear others thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark .40 s&w as a CCW. Anyone currently carrying one? How are you carrying it? I would love to hear your experiences both pro & con.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    It's a Sig. Its going to be reliable and outshoot most anything else you could carry. However I personally would not carry such a nice piece like an Elite Dark just in case it needed to be used in a self-defense situation. Personally for me a Sig would be a range gun more than a carry gun, however I would carry it in a Don Hume leather holster, something in reddish brown to really make it look nice if you plan on open carrying or carrying it while dressed up
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy40 View Post
    I would like to hear others thoughts on carrying the Sig p229 Elite Dark .40 s&w as a CCW. Anyone currently carrying one? How are you carrying it? I would love to hear your experiences both pro & con.
    I carried a P229 for many years in a Don Hume H726. It's a pancake style, holds the gun close to the body, doesn't have a lot of holster showing below the belt, and the front is cut very low to enable a regular draw stroke.

I also had to have it converted to DAO per agency regs but it never affected the handling. This was long before the Elite Dark was even thought of (the "Classic" series was the only series back then) although it looks like a nice piece.

I disagree w/ not carrying it "just in case it needed to be used in a self-defense situation." You can count on Sig when your life is on the line.

If, heaven forbid, you have to use it in SD, I think surviving using the best equipment you own is more important than losing your gun, possibly permanently, because you and yours will be alive to replace it.

Nice choice, good luck and train hard.

BTW The only reason I stopped carrying it was it's not a .45.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Thumbs up Go with it

I carried a P229 for a little while and it rode in a Galco pancake. I had zero issues concealing it and the 'cheapie' holster held it tight and close. It'a a good platform to carry, you'll like it me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sig 229 for carry

I've had a .40 caliber Sig P229 for 10 years and have carried it some of the time. It is one of my most accurate and reliable guns, and I have absolute faith in it. The only downside to carry is that the gun is rather thick and heavier than some polymer alternatives. So you need a good holster and belt, and an ample cover garment. I have carried it OWB, since it seems too thick for comfortable IWB carry. Here is the setup I have used:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

They are heavy, expensive and you have to learn 2 triggers, the DA and the SA.

Spare mags cost in the $50 range if you buy the factory mags, aftermarket from meg-gar (the actual OEM maker of the factory mags) still runs you $35-ish.

Are they a nice gun? Yeah...

But you are going to sink a lot of $$ into it before you can even get to the range to shoot a few hundred rounds of carry ammo in it to see if it likes your given load...and by that time, a guy with a more cost efficient gun will have been able to spend the cash difference on professional training to make him a better shooter.

But yeah...if you are into the SIG, go for it.

I'm not.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I've carried my P229 for years in a IWB Stoner holster with a Stoner made belt. The gun is dead nuts reliable and the rig is secure and comfortable. I probably carry for about 12 hours a day.

You might also consider a 357sig barrel. It's a drop in and allows you to shoot a better (IMO) caliber.

Are Sigs expensieve? Quality usually is.

I carry a P228 about 1/3 of the time which is essentially the same gun. If you can afford the Elite go for it. They are heavier and bulkier than say a G23, with roughly the same amount of ammo, but we are talking metal gun vs polymer. I can conceal my Glock much easier, but would not hesitate to strap on the P228 if I wanted/needed to.
    .XX likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

With a good holster and belt, it wont be an issue. I have a 226 that I carry and have no issues. My normal carry is a G19.

VIP Member
    They are great firearms, but there are far better carry options out there.
    Fitch likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    They are great firearms, but there are far better carry options out there.
    I agree. For all of this talk about ease of concealing, yeah....right. 'bout like trying to conceal a Hi-Point.

Ever notice on NCIS, when Gibb's tells the team to load up.....they all have to get their gun out of a drawer, there is a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    I agree. For all of this talk about ease of concealing, yeah....right. 'bout like trying to conceal a Hi-Point.

Ever notice on NCIS, when Gibb's tells the team to load up.....they all have to get their gun out of a drawer, there is a reason for that.
    Oh, that's the way they do it on T.V. so that must be right. Yeah it may take a little more effort to conceal a P229 than a cute little designer gun but that's a small price to pay to carry a real gun.
    zombiehunter88 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Oh, that's the way they do it on T.V. so that must be right. Yeah it may take a little more effort to conceal a P229 than a cute little designer gun but that's a small price to pay to carry a real gun.
    Have at it.....you carry that real gun and pay that small price. After all, that is what freedom is all about and I applaud you for doing that.

I'll carry my little designer gun and be just as protected as you and comfortable.
    Last edited by jwarren; February 27th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Have at it.....you carry that real gun and pay that small price. After all, that is what freedom is all about and I applaud you for doing that.

I'll carry my little designer gun and be just a protected as you and comfortable.
    I hope you are.

VIP Member
    If your able to shoot it well and a good rig lets you conceal it, then go or it. As for those who put importance on the price of the gun as to whether to carry it or not, my question is: How much is your life worth to you?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links