What do you carry? - Page 197

What do you carry?

This is a discussion on What do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where defensive firearms are concerned, I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S--"keep it simple stupid." Most gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first ...

Page 197 of 333 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 4987
Like Tree835Likes

Thread: What do you carry?

Where defensive firearms are concerned, I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S--"keep it simple stupid." Most gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first solid hit, so I'm attracted to the gun I feel will give me the best chance of getting off the first shot. Drawing a gun takes time--shooting from a pocket takes less. Most defensive gunfights occur at very short range, in low light, and involve fewer than 5 shots--50 yard 10 ring accuracy isn't required....the equiavelent of being able to "hit a bull in the ass with a scoopshovel" is usually sufficient. A gun that points naturally is an advantage as you may not be able to see your sights. Your opponent may be close enough to try to take your gun away, so it's nice to provide him a minimum of leverage and not much to grab hold of. In a hand to hand situation you may need to be able to make a contact shot. In a life and death struggle, mechanical malfunctions can prove fatal....I want the most reliable weapon available. For these reasons I carry a snubnose .38--LCR, Detective Special, or Model 36 and a speedstrip and speedloader. If I'm concerned about "magazine capacity" I have the option of carrying 2 guns ("New York reload)....10 or 12 shots with total weight less than a 1911. The advantages of wheelguns are too numerous to mention here.....very quick learning curve, reliability, etc. Bottom-feeders are all the rage these days, and I shudder to think how many Carry permit holders are running around with their brand new autoloaders thinking they have a dozen rounds or so ready to go when in effect they are carrying single-shots, having failed to invest in the 500 rounds or so needed to establish reliabilty. I firmly believe that, for most shooters, it's irresponsible to carry anything other than a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon Hickey View Post
    Where defensive firearms are concerned, I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S--"keep it simple stupid." Most gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first solid hit, so I'm attracted to the gun I feel will give me the best chance of getting off the first shot. Drawing a gun takes time--shooting from a pocket takes less. Most defensive gunfights occur at very short range, in low light, and involve fewer than 5 shots--50 yard 10 ring accuracy isn't required....the equiavelent of being able to "hit a bull in the ass with a scoopshovel" is usually sufficient. A gun that points naturally is an advantage as you may not be able to see your sights. Your opponent may be close enough to try to take your gun away, so it's nice to provide him a minimum of leverage and not much to grab hold of. In a hand to hand situation you may need to be able to make a contact shot. In a life and death struggle, mechanical malfunctions can prove fatal....I want the most reliable weapon available. For these reasons I carry a snubnose .38--LCR, Detective Special, or Model 36 and a speedstrip and speedloader. If I'm concerned about "magazine capacity" I have the option of carrying 2 guns ("New York reload)....10 or 12 shots with total weight less than a 1911. The advantages of wheelguns are too numerous to mention here.....very quick learning curve, reliability, etc. Bottom-feeders are all the rage these days, and I shudder to think how many Carry permit holders are running around with their brand new autoloaders thinking they have a dozen rounds or so ready to go when in effect they are carrying single-shots, having failed to invest in the 500 rounds or so needed to establish reliabilty. I firmly believe that, for most shooters, it's irresponsible to carry anything other than a revolver.
    Maybe that was the case in the past but with today's technology and education on firearms, "no thanks" I'll take my M&P9c or M&P45c any day over a revolver.

Sigma

Recently Purchased a S&W SW40VE and I love it...put about 100 rounds in it with no jam and the grouping is very tight...i have the blackhawk holster also makes it very easy to carry/conceal

Sometimes an LCP

Off topic but a friend asked "why you buy such cheap blades?" I said "Because I use them!" In construction and have broken tips, bent blades, dropped them on concrete from the roof so at work a 10- 15 dollar knife is all I deserve.

I have the Gerber Clutch that is a great little tool.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well, lets see:

Mostly i carry.........

OR.....

Sometimes this one ........ (when I can get it away from the wife)

And this is with me even if I have others.........

And this one if I am out and about in the country.......

And this one is never too far away......

And since the ammo prices went RETARDED, I carry this one out and practice "on the cheap"....

LCP / Glock 23

Mostly carry the Ruger LCP .380 because it's so small. I carry the Glock 23 only when I have tons of clothes on in the winter.

Lead Answer

Hey, I want to share that I use a stun gun or pepper spray for my personnel safety .

Quote Originally Posted by anneparker View Post
    Hey, I want to share that I use a stun gun or pepper spray for my personnel safety .
    You get the drop, get him in the face with pepper spray, then he sprays you with 9 mil. You lose, go away.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This is my small but effective firearms collection.

HK USP Compact .40 S&W (12 round magazine)

Walther P99 AS 9mm (15 round magazine)

Smith & Wesson 442 .38+P (BUG - 5 shots)

Beretta 1934 .380 (My father's gun that I inherited - collection only)

Mossberg 590A1 SPX 12 Gauge 20" shotgun (Home Defense - 9 shots 00 Buckshot)

Soon to be added to the collection: CZ 452 Varmint .22LR, Remington 700 SPS .308W, Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Tactical, Heckler & Koch 45 and a Kimber TLE Stainless II 1911. Hopefully, the family will get to grow during 2011!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by racork View Post

Mostly carry the Ruger LCP .380 because it's so small. I carry the Glock 23 only when I have tons of clothes on in the winter.
    That's funny, I carry both of those in the summer under just a t-shirt

Though I must admit that a changed from an LCP to a j-frame.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have the perfect carry gun, so small and lightweight that I can carry it everywhere. The governor of Texas shot a coyote with one, so it must be cool.

One of my carry guns revamped. Just added Springer precision trigger kit, TFO sights, carry stipple job, and cerakoted the slide.

here is my everyday carry gun.

my heavily bastardized kimber grand raptor II. tons of internal work done as well. trigger bow ground down to reduce weight, and trigger is a sweet 2.5 lbs, running a 12lb recoil spring, shooting 200gr lswc on 4gr of winchester super target. this gun will shoot one hole all day long. the 200grlswc is also my carry load.

reshaped the grip safety, and high gripped it. also removed the ambi-safety and schwartz safety.

custom grips i made from some dymondwood. this pic also shows some of the recontoured grip safety.

novak red front sight, as well as grayed engraving on the slide.

showing the passenger side

another shot of the passenger side

ed brown chainlink msh

Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm (4th gen) in a Side Guard Double Tuck Holster

Sponsored Links