Defensive Carry banner

What do you carry?

2M views 7K replies 4K participants last post by  KevinRohrer 
#1 ·
Just wondering what gun(s) every one else carries.

I carry a SIG P239 in 9mm most of the time, but now that the weather is cooler and jackets are in order, the SIG P229 in .40 get the call.

I still dream of the day that i get a commander size 1911 GSR from SIG in .40

#5,829 ·
I am not as hard core as some, I first started carrying with a SCCY 9 mm. It had a pretty snappy recoil and found that it didn't like some ammo as much as others. My wife couldn't handle the re-coil and I was not happy with the reliability. My dad had a Walther PPK and my wife really liked it. After some research, found that the Bersa thunder was very similar to the Walther. So she got a Thunder. I really liked it, although it wasn't a 9mm , with new ammo developed it was a viable alternative and a pleasure to shoot. I decided to get a Thunder as well. I chose the relatively new CC version. It is a pure pleasure to shoot, but it, like the SCCY was ammo sensitive. I just don't like the idea of "breaking in" and having to use selective ammunition. I have a P226 that eats anything and I felt there should be something on the micro market that could do the same. Through much research, I ended up selecting the Remington RM 380. It was a proven design ( Rohrbaugh) and had been tested against 8 other competitors in the same size and caliber. The ( Rohrbaugh ) was the only one that had 0 failures. That info and 672 rounds of error free firing with every type of 380 ammo I could find has left me confident to carry this firearm as my EDC. Remington bought the rights to the Rohrbaugh and added some improvements and reduced the price drastically.

#5,833 ·
Winter carry time. Since it's getting colder, i switched up my EDC.

Gen4 Glock 32 loaded with 125gr Speer Gold Dots LE w/ 1 spare on my pocket and 3 more in my laptop bag
ZT0350TSST
Steel Will Censor 1310
Streamlight ProTac1
M&P Tactical Pen
RedEarth Concealment kydex wallet.

#5,838 ·
Winter carry time. Since it's getting colder, i switched up my EDC.

Gen4 Glock 32 loaded with 125gr Speer Gold Dots LE w/ 1 spare on my pocket and 3 more in my laptop bag
ZT0350TSST
Steel Will Censor 1310
Streamlight ProTac1
M&P Tactical Pen
RedEarth Concealment kydex wallet.
How do you carry the censor and how well do you like it? I'm just realizing I need a dedicated defensive knife and a separate knife for EDC tasks.

I carry:

#5,835 ·
Today, it was a customized Kimber Compact CDP 4" (pre-Series II)

Modifications include single-sided thumb safety, flat-bottom firing pin stop, 24# main spring, Bullet Proof slide stop, flat-wire recoil spring set-up, trigger, and re-sprung Wilson 7-round compact magazines with low profile steel base plates. The flat-bottom firing pin stop and 24# main spring were used to tune the timing of the slide speed to the relatively potent Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. ammo.

#5,843 ·
My CCW Choices -- Let's See Yours!

Those of us who have the addiction know from experience that there is no such thing as the perfect ccw gun. Therefore, we try to equip ourselves with a pistol for every occasion.

Personally, after almost 60 years of experimentation and having gone through all the various "phases" of handgun ownership (the pistol phase, the revolver phase, the striker-fired phase, the 1911 phase, etc etc), I've distilled my choices down to these. I'm fully aware that all firearm choices are extremely personal and that there is no "best" choice. These are mine, and they likely would not work for anyone else. They all qualify as concealable, but each serves a specific purpose and each has something special about it. Starting from the lower right:

My Kahr PM9 (most carried):

At 14 ounces it's a tiny powerhouse, and incredibly accurate, even without its Crimson Trace red laser. Its specific purpose is to be the ultimate concealable pistol (it would conceal quite well in your right nostril if you wanted to carry that way). What's special about this particular pistol: It's the only PM9 in the entire universe to come WITH Kahr's factory-installed enhanced trigger and WITHOUT an external safety or LCI (how that came to be is a long story and NSFW). Suffice it to say that the trigger has the ideal combination of smoothness and travel.

Next we have my M&P Shield 9mm (most seen, always on nightstand):

This is my all-around pistol, suitable for every mission from concealed carry to home defense. Its green Crimson Trace laser is bright enough to light up a dark room, and can be seen 30' away in bright daylight. What makes it special is the degree of relatively inexpensive customization required to turn it into the nearly perfect pistol.

This one has, in addition to the Crimson Trace green laser, Trijicon HD night sights, an Apex trigger and duty kit, Apex LCI removal, a stainless steel guide rod, and Talon grips. The magazines have MagGuts springs and base plate extensions, making the 7-round mag good for 9 rounds. That, plus one in the chamber, should be enough.

It does have an external safety, which is engaged only when the pistol is off my body, and a magazine safety, which I don't care about one way or another. It's super-accurate, and is used more than any of the others.

Next up, upper right, the Kahr K9 Elite 03 (most fondled):

For sheer beauty among 9mm sub-compacts, this one's the winner IMHO. It's an all stainless steel gun -- no mim, no polymer -- with a polished slide. All I've done with this one is to add some Meprolight night sights. What makes it special, beyond its looks, is that as an all-steel gun it's a sheer pleasure to shoot, transmitting almost no recoil even using Buffalo Bore ammunition. Its grip is uniquely shaped to fit the hand, and it may be the most comfortable gun to shoot I've ever handled. The only knock some have against it is its weight. They say it's heavy. But compared to what? To my PM9, certainly. But not to, say, my Colt Defender, which is an ounce or two heavier. To me, once the basic requirements of reliability and accuracy are fulfilled, looks matter. And this is one gorgeous piece, inside and out.

And last but far from least, the classic carry piece: the .45 cal Colt Night Defender (most valued):

What can I say about this one, except: If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

So, those are my CCW choices. You may or may not agree and that's fine. But instead of telling me what's wrong with my choices, why not tell us what's right about yours and back it up with a picture or two.

#5,845 ·
I have the 1911 bug these days, so I really like your COLT.

I'm curious as to how those Defender sized, or should I say Officer sized guns
handle recoil, so I'm going to try to rent one and shoot it a couple rounds.

Should it knock me around like my XD-S .45, I'll jsut opt for a chopped 1911
in 9mm as a companion to the Ruger Commander.

A Ruger or other CMD in .45 would be pretty heavy for me to carrry.

I also like the shorter grip of the Officer framed guns, but have no exp.
with one as of yet.

#5,882 ·
I was lucky enough to choose correctly the first time around. I rented every gun that felt right in my hand and appealed to me aesthetically. I have been carrying the Walther P99c QA 9mm since 2011.

View attachment 159137
A p99, the one plastic pistol that really floats my boat. Nice!!!

#5,848 ·
The "Perfect" handgun? My SP101 with a 2.5" barrel is pretty good and it is hard to beat, but my 4.25" S&W E series 1911 is just as hard to beat. I think that I will stop there - my best choices for all around carry and use would be my SP101 and my S&W 1911. (A SIG 220 is on my list, too).

#5,850 ·
Out of 18 handguns I carry 2, I don't subscribe to the "carry rotation" or gun of the week philosophy. Even when I've changed primary platforms, IE moved from SA to Striker fired, it's been in pairs. A mid-sized compact and a subcompact for when I can't easily conceal the compact. These are what I primarily shoot and train with, for the last 2 years this has been the pair:

HK P2000 V1 LEM in 357 Sig, Trijicon HD nightsights, thin slide stops, right now its at Lazy Wolf Guns and ROBAR getting some trigger and refinishing work done. Coming back as a two-tone with a much shorter reset. A walther PPQ-9 M1 is filling in till it gets back:

When I can't get away with that, Walther PPS-9 M1 with Trijicon HD nightsights:

I've gotten to the point that I really prefer the HK LEM trigger as a defensive trigger to the Striker or SA triggers. Once learned I'm not seeing any degradation in accuracy or speed and I think it provides an extra margin of safety.

Chuck

#5,857 ·
HK p30SK v3 DA/SA with decocker and night sights is my new carry of choice. replacing the G43