New Carry Gun in the Line Up

This is a discussion on New Carry Gun in the Line Up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I did it. I have strayed away from the Sig line...somewhat. Ordered my new CZ 2075 Rami BD in 9mm early last week, got ...

Thread: New Carry Gun in the Line Up

New Carry Gun in the Line Up

Well, I did it. I have strayed away from the Sig line...somewhat.

Ordered my new CZ 2075 Rami BD in 9mm early last week, got the call last Thursday that it was in. I had been looking for a while and everywhere I went, both online and in the stores, this particular model was backordered, so I consider myself really lucky to have gotten the call so soon after ordering. Initial impression is that it is constructed with typical CZ quality. Fit and finish are excellent. Dry fired for about an hour Thursday evening and found the trigger to be smooth with little creep. 3 dot Meprolight night sights are clear and bright. This one could easily replace any of my Sigs for a daily carry weapon.

My wife is enamored with it, which is a bad sign--she might attempt to adopt it herself--although that wouldn't be all that bad if she's comfortable enough to start shooting regularly.

Took the new Rami BD to the range last Saturday. Had time for firing 200 rds of 9mm; a mix of Sellier and Bellot 115 gr and Winchester M882 NATO 124 gr and some HP at various weights that I had extra. Bottom line is the CZ ate every round without a hiccup.

Follow up shots were easy and smooth--even with the hotter ammunition, the second and third shots were in close proximity to initial shot. Initially, I wasn't even really checking for accuracy per se, I was more concerned about the cycling of the ammunition, but after the first 50 rounds, it was all about seeing how many ragged holes I could make at various points on the target. The overall weight of the pistol really dampens the effect of recoil--having said that, the pistol itself is not really all that heavy. It doesn't feel any heavier than my P225, though I haven't weighed both to really compare.

Fired from both 7 yd and 10yd distances. At both distances, POI is POA and any problems with shot placement were purely the result of poor performance on my part. I'm surprised at the ragged holes that the 3 inch barrel produced (ragged as in it put my strings into one ragged hole). I think overall, the accuracy of the CZ 2075 Rami BD is a testament to the ergonomics of the design and the quality of production. It fits well in my hand--a real extension of the shooter.

At the end of the day, I'd give the pistol a solid 9.5 out of 10, the only detractor is that the decock lever is small and placed further to the back of the frame than I'm used to--not a big issue, it just takes some getting used to.

On a side note, both 10 round magazines that came with the pistol suffer from the "CZ rattle". When loaded with a full 10 rounds, both magazines have an annoying rattle--remove one round and the rattle goes away. If anyone has any ideas about rectifying that, I'm all ears. I tried seating each round loaded by tapping the back of the magazine against a solid surface, still rattled. Also tried loading both with a magazine loader and by hand to try and see if one method silenced the rattle--nope. CZ magazines are made by MecGar of Italy, so I don't think it's the quality of the material, it's in the design. Well, just gives me something else to research.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

2. Remove Ads

CZ makes some substantial weapons which seem under-appreciated in the US. That might help keep their prices low for those of us who do appreciate them!

I know extended safeties are available for the 'B' models with the traditional thumb safety, but I'm not sure about such an animal for the decocker models. Give the folks at CZ Custom a call - if anyone knows, they would. CZ Custom Shop
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nice looking piece you got there... enjoy!

Congrats on the new pistola...very nice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's a really nice pistol. I may have to consider selling a couple of my 9mm and getting one of those.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I too believe CZ is a under valued gun. Good luck and good shooting.

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Great looking weapon and very good review. Congratulatons!
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Glad to hear you like your new purchase. I keep hearing so much positive feedback about CZ's, it really makes me want to try one out soon.

Thanks for sharing this with us

Nice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very nice, should serve you well.

My CZ is my absolute favorite pistol. (big believer in American guns but i stepped out on this one) I have the Sp-01 Phantom and can not say enough good about it. I am not a great marksman by any stretch of the imagination - but I shot sub 5' groups at three dfferent target placements (double tap centermass - then head shot or low shot on third round or random target spots) - thru 4 magazines in a couple or three minutes last week - at 10 yards -Now i know many of you can probaly duplicate that at 25 yards with 10 different pistols - But it's the only pistol i've ever touched that i could do that with - i wish it were small enough to carry - maybe i need to check out the Rami -??? - Yea, Yea that's it. ...... Hey honey... i need to ask you something
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

VIP Member
    2 RAMI's reside in my home. Mine is a .40 cal and the wife has a 9MM. Both have been 100% reliable. Both were purchased before the de-cocker versions were available, otherwise they would be that model.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on the new weapon, very nice been looking for a pocket 9mm so I googled yours, it has some nice features.

The BD version of the RAMI improves on the 2075 platform with several new features. The decocking lever, lightening scallop on the slide and tritium 3 dot combat sights are welcome additions for backup or concealed carry use. The trigger mechanism operates in selective DA and SA mode depending on the shooter’s preferences. Several safety devices are used including a firing pin block and a manual safety or decocker in the BD model. Incorporating the CZ double-stack magazine design, the little RAMI accommodates 10 rounds of 9mm Luger plus 1 in the chamber. With a 3” barrel, and unloaded weight of less than 24 ounces, the RAMI is perfect for concealed carry or back-up use.
    The CZ 2075 RAMI P is a sub-compact semi-automatic based on the proven CZ 75 line of pistols.

So far, it's proven to be a handy pistol, not quite as bulky as my smaller Sigs, the P239 and the P225. It's the closest pistol I've found to the Sig's manual of arms--which is a determining factor in any pistol I buy now. I'm quite happy with it so far.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Links