P22 for carry

P22 for carry

This is a discussion on P22 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i sold my LCP which leaves me with no weapon smaller than my M&P. I looked in my safe and saw my Walther P22. ...

Thread: P22 for carry

P22 for carry

So i sold my LCP which leaves me with no weapon smaller than my M&P. I looked in my safe and saw my Walther P22. It also fits in the Mr. Softy I have for a Sig.

I used to carry the LCP when I couldn't carry anything larger, or just didn't want to carry. Sometimes I don't want to deal with the weight.

My thought is to put the P22 in this role for now. Just looking for some feedback as I ponder the idea. I figure going with MiniMags or some nicer ammo for it.

Seems like a good choice since money is tight right now. Make the most out of what I got.

Anyhow, what you think? Good idea for a few specific situations? Or avoid at all costs?

Anything is better than nothing!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Anything is better than nothing!
    Thats how I see it. I didn't shoot the LCP well. At least the 22lr would land on target.

I think it's time to buy a new pocket gun.

Why did you sell the LCP?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So I'll ask. Why not carry the M&P you already own?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    So I'll ask. Why not carry the M&P you already own?
    It would be for when I need something smaller and lighter than the M&P. Only until I can afford a new pocket pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    It would be for when I need something smaller and lighter than the M&P. Only until I can afford a new pocket pistol.
    It's better than nothing I guess. But why not just make the M&P work.

I'm not able to put my full trust into my P22.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

You need to test the ammo and get something uberreliable if you are set on carrying it as a defensive gun. I just cannot depend on .22 ammo as reliable especially in an auto. Good luck. I personally would rather invest in clothing, a good belt and holster and carry the M&P until a pocket gun came a long I could afford.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have often carried my P-22 as my CCW -- and felt very safe and secure doing so.

The .22 high speed hollow-point is under-rated as a defensive tool. The shooter's ability to quickly put several of these in an assailant will quickly stop any alercation. One of my doctor friends that worked th E.R. vouches for the .22's effectiveness on live humans. I know many here will disagree -- based upon what they've READ, not based on what they have SEEN.

Too many people have "MAGNUMITIS." If you are not an LEO, and don't hang out in crack houses or public housing projects, a .22 will defend you. In one of Colonel Askins' books, he describes a Mexican governor whose main bodyguard carried a Colt Woodsman. Bigger isn't always better.

gold40

Better than a pointy stick! But get ammo that fires all the time with it. Your best bet with that kind of round is empty out the mag. If the second or third pull on the trigger gets you a "click", your gonna have one upset bad guy on your hands with only a pretty light hammer in your hands to work with! OMOYMMV
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have one and although I wouldn't carry it for CC unless I had no choice, it is better than nothing. I too would encourage you to simply make the M&P work for now but with my P22, I found CCI mini mags to be "uberreliable". Before I tried them I had all kinds of problems but since I switched, i've never had a single problem after thousands of rounds and that with a very dirty gun. It's the most dramatic case of a gun likeing a particular brand of ammo that I've ever experienced.
    Enjoy and start saving for a better option.
    Gideon

Be sure to buy CCI Stingers. Those things hit HARD! I live on a farm and do a lot of varmint shooting with .22lr. We have tested just about every type of .22 ammo on live critters. The CCI Stingers have blown rabbit and groundhog heads clean off and cut a squirrel in half.

I'm not a fan of .22lr for carry but if you are do yourself a favor and grab a few packs of Stingers.

Links