SP101 or RUGER LCR 357 - Page 2

SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

This is a discussion on SP101 or RUGER LCR 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MichSteve Ok, I get the 357 vs 38 difference but only when you are talking 3" barrel or longer, the ballistic advantage ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Ok, I get the 357 vs 38 difference but only when you are talking 3" barrel or longer, the ballistic advantage is not that great with a 2" barrel. Take a look a the 38 +P Buffalo Bore load at 379 ft lbs from a 2" barrel and there is little gain in going to 357.

I am looking into the 357, however, I have a S&W 642 and like it, so I am leaning toward the SP-101 in a 3" barrel or a GP-100 in 4". I am also looking at S&W line 686 or others in 4".

Short barrel in 357 do not make much since.
    I see a clear difference....

BB 58 gr L.S.W.C.H.P. 38+P
    S&W mod. 60, 2 inch- 1040 fps (379 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 66, 2.5 inch- 1059 fps (393 ft. lbs.)

BB 125 gr JHP 38+p
    S&W mod 60, 2 inch- 1072 fps (319 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch- 1108 fps (341 ft. lbs.)

BB 125 gr JHP 357 magnum ( low recoil and flash)
    S&W mod. 66 2.5 inch barrel -1,156 fps (415 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 65 3 inch barrel -1,246 fps (483 ft. lbs.)

BB 158gr JHP .357 magnum
    S&W mod. 340PD 1-7/8 inch barrel -1,015 fps (361 ft. lbs.)
    S&W mod. 66 2-1/2-inch barrel -1,097 fps (422 ft. lbs.)

Doubletap 125gr .357
    1425fps / 1 7/8" S&W

Double tap 158 grain .357
    1245fps / 1 7/8" S&W

Hi azchevy, I see the Double tap 125 gr. to be a big difference, two things I would like to see is real chronograph #s on that load, I just don't see any 125 gr projectile going that fast out of a 1 7/8 barrel. Powder can't be all used up in that distance, maybe it is correct, some have done their own testing on the BB 158 gr and come in close to what BB claims. In my area in 3 GS I have not yet seen any Double tap but I will be looking to try some.

Thanks for the the tip.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The LCR has it all over the Sp101 ( unless you are a stainless aficionado )

See my 357 LCR reviews here:

The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

and here:

Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

Well till you need to practice. Then the extra weight will come in REAL handy.

I agree with those in favor of the SP101. Yes, it weighs more but the extra weight is worth it when shooting .38 +P's. With a good belt and holster it should carry fine.

I'm not generally a great fan of Ruger revolvers but the SP 101 is the best thing in the Ruger handgun product line. It's well thought out for a small .357 Magnum and shoots like a larger gun. I'd be willing to own it.

I disliked the trigger immensely in the LCR. It would take some getting used to. Don't care for the materials that go into the LCRs construction.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Regarding .38s and .357s: New Page 1

It has been posted before, but it's good info along with azchevy's post
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    There wouldn't be any decision there for me. I don't pocket carry and I appreciate some weight in a revolver. Your mileage may vary of course but I'd choose the SP101 hands down considering it's light enough for comfortable carry on the belt and heavy enough to shoot comfortably. There is a purpose and a need for that LCR but comparing it to the SP101 is really apples/oranges IMO.
    +1 The SP101 can be had with a bobbed hammer if you prefer.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

You can't go wrong with either. I opted for the SP101 and it has quickly become my favorite handgun (out of 15, various types, sizes, and calibers). It is built like a tank, durable, reliable, and I like the feel and weight in a .357. It is accurate and handles full loads with ease. I also replaced the main spring with a 10# wolff spring and it smoothed the trigger out very nicely.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You can't go wrong with either. I opted for the SP101 and it has quickly become my favorite handgun (out of 15, various types, sizes, and calibers). It is built like a tank, durable, reliable, and I like the feel and weight in a .357. It is accurate and handles full loads with ease. I also replaced the main spring with a 10# wolff spring and it smoothed the trigger out very nicely.
    I"m running pretty much the exact same setup including the spring except mine is wearing badger boot grips.I couldn't be happier!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    My take...

If you're really going to shoot and load it with .38's which is something a LOT of people do afer shooting some .357's, AND the LCR fits you, then I'd say the LCR becasue it has a great trigger. I mentioned how it fits becasue the reach to the tigger feels a tad longer and/or different than a J frame or my SP101. It'll definitely be more enjoy able to carry from a weight aspect but the recoil difference for .357 will be pretty significant. .38's will be a huge difference too becasue .38's in an SP101 are so mild it makes you smile, but a .38 would/should be manageable in the .38.

If you really really think you're going to shoot mostly .357 then for pure shootability I'd go with the Ruger. I also think the ruger is prettier but be prepared to swap out the main spring on the Ruger ($8.00 kit of the internet) to get a reasonable trigger. Also, the Ruger can be very sharp. I recently did my first ever de-horning job to address that issue.

Another option is to get the one that just tugs at you the most and then buy the other one next.

God Bless
    Gideon

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    SP 101 definitely. Don't worry about the flash or recoil with .357 too much. Under stress you won't notice either. If you can shoot your target at 25 feet at the range you are all set to carry it. The LCR is not really a pocket pistol. The handle is too big.

Although i do not own either one, i have had my eye on the Sp101. bunker

I picked up a LCR357 a few weeks ago and have ran a few rounds thru it. 38's including +p or no big deal, almost like a pop gun. 357 is a different story. It's manageable for sure, but a long day would put a hurting on ya'! You have to decide what's it's for. SD close range weapon that carries very well, has a great trigger, but is not a great range gun? Or something you want to carry, albeit heavier, a lesser trigger, but can spend an afternoon at the range with? The SP will certainly soak up more recoil, but when the SHTF, you'll never even know it went bang. Good luck!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have the LCR in .38 but I got it before the .357 was available. After following AZchevy's threads about his .357 for the past several months I wish I had the .357 model because I would like to have the extra weight.

That said, I really really want a SP101 because I just think it's freaking sexy. I WILL have a SP101 sometime in the near future but I doubt it will get carried much.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either gun. If you want to pocket carry then get the LCR, otherwise I'd go with the SP101. Again, both are great choices.

Both are fine revolvers. Try each at the range and see which one you like best. In a good holster the weight is a non-issue for lots of people.

I carry an SP101 with a crossbreed IWB holster and it's very comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links