SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

This is a discussion on SP101 or RUGER LCR 357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to decide , I am planning on carrying OWB with good gun belt. LCR seems a bit large to pocket carry and I hear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

SP101 or RUGER LCR 357

Trying to decide , I am planning on carrying OWB with good gun belt. LCR seems a bit large to pocket carry and I hear the lightweight snubbies have quite a bit of recoil ?
    Since I am planning on OWB carry should I get the SP101 ??
    The weight should not be an issue or the hammer ?

Any thoughts appreciated

I have an LCR (.38) and it doesn't recoil bad. Least not in my opinion. The .357 version, would be another issue. If I were to chose something in .357 to carry, it would be the SP101 (hands down). I can't and don't want to carry anything larger than that, or heavier than that. The SP101 is well built and will soak up a lot of the recoil of the .357 round.

I think you will find an awful lot of support here for the SP101.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The LCR .357 is my EDC. I carry it in my right front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis (cargo pants/shorts) with no printing. There is no recoil issue. The Hogue Tamer grip does its job well. I sometimes carry IWB in a custom Little Bear rig or in a Galco shoulder holster. Great EDC for me: light weight, powerful and with 1 quick strip, 11 rounds at hand. Oh, BTW, I added a HiViz front sight. It makes a huge difference from the black blade.
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

My EDC is the SP101. I appreciate the bit of extra weight at the range when firing .357's (which I actually do quite a bit of) I also like it for the ability to wear the most awesome badger boot grips. I almost NEVER shoot it single action but I can see how it could come in handy On the flip side the only real reason I went with the 101 over the LCR is because I got the 101 as a trade. The LCR has a great trigger and is about 8 ounces lighter.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If you are gonna belt carry, the sp101 is the answer in .357. If you want a pocket gun, then the LCR. I have a M&P 340 in .357, it feels like a firecracker going off in your hand. I have learned to work with it, but it is a niche gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

There wouldn't be any decision there for me. I don't pocket carry and I appreciate some weight in a revolver. Your mileage may vary of course but I'd choose the SP101 hands down considering it's light enough for comfortable carry on the belt and heavy enough to shoot comfortably. There is a purpose and a need for that LCR but comparing it to the SP101 is really apples/oranges IMO.

I have the same dilemma. I am leaning more toward the .357 LCR just for the weight but I dont plan on it being a range gun either. Strictly a defensive tool for me. I will probably load it up with lower power .357 rounds though. The SP is a better looking weapon though but I revert back to it being a defensive tool so looks are not that important.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

The LCR has it all over the Sp101 ( unless you are a stainless aficionado )

See my 357 LCR reviews here:

The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

and here:

Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    would be a toss up for me. as much as I like the LCR I would probably go with the sp101 just cuz I like the feel and extra weight better.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

one of my carry guns is the LCR, i have a pocket holster and a owb fobus, you said you are "planning" on owb but you just never know when the pocket carry will come in handy, i like that i have a few options, and you can't beat the wieght. a word of warning, be sure to shoot the 357 in the dark to see what YOU think of the muzzel blast, i think its a lil bright, maybe its just me

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My EDC is the SP101. I appreciate the bit of extra weight at the range when firing .357's (which I actually do quite a bit of) I also like it for the ability to wear the most awesome badger boot grips. I almost NEVER shoot it single action but I can see how it could come in handy On the flip side the only real reason I went with the 101 over the LCR is because I got the 101 as a trade. The LCR has a great trigger and is about 8 ounces lighter.
    The LCR is "more" than 8 oz lighter than the SP101.

SP101 = 25 -27 oz.
    LCR = 13.5 oz
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The LCR is "more" than 8 oz lighter than the SP101.

SP101 = 25 -27 oz.
    LCR = 13.5 oz

That is the .38 version with the aluminum frame, the .357 version is a ss frame and 17oz

also I want to point out that the LCR trigger is SOO much better than the sp101, if ruger can incorporate that into the sp101 they would have it all over s&W

You've gotta decide on your priorities. Both are fine guns that excel in slightly different ways.

I went with the SP101, because I wanted some heft for shooting. A good holster and belt will negate any weight concerns.

That said, the LCR gives you the option of pocket carry and it does have a better trigger.

I'm also a bit of a sucker for nostalgia, so I had to have a stainless steel revolver with a hammer
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Both great weapons. I'm waiting(hopefully NOT too much longer)for my SP101 funds to arrive, so you know where I stand. However, that 357 LCR is still tempting! Good Luck !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Ok, I get the 357 vs 38 difference but only when you are talking 3" barrel or longer, the ballistic advantage is not that great with a 2" barrel. Take a look a the 38 +P Buffalo Bore load at 379 ft lbs from a 2" barrel and there is little gain in going to 357.

I am looking into the 357, however, I have a S&W 642 and like it, so I am leaning toward the SP-101 in a 3" barrel or a GP-100 in 4". I am also looking at S&W line 686 or others in 4".

Short barrel in 357 do not make much since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links