The 460 Rowland

This is a discussion on The 460 Rowland within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about making one of my 1911's into a 460 rowland. I am looking for some thoughs on why/why not....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The 460 Rowland

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

The 460 Rowland

I am thinking about making one of my 1911's into a 460 rowland. I am looking for some thoughs on why/why not.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

anyone??? looking to build a pig gun and any info would be great!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Like I said earlier, 230grains hurtling at around 1400FPS is awesome.

VIP Member
    Dragman, you're bad for my bank account. 'Thread marked.

I am my worst enemy once I get something in my head I just can't stop! Like azchevy said I can't find a reason not to like it!

VIP Member
    I'm reminded of the interview where an LEO is asked why he carries a .45.

His reply was because they don't make a .46.

Looks like someone else may be moving up with you.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I didn't even know a 1911 could be converted to the 460 Rowland...learn something new every day.

I did find this article that covers the conversion kit offered by Clark Custom Guns. Click link --> The 460 Rowland...Whoa Mama pt1.

Not sure how old it is, but it seems to go pretty in depth.

I definitely want a range report when your done!
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelling, Grammer etc.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

ammo and kit are on order! I will probably have it all and have it together by the end of next week! Can't wait to play.
    robangela likes this.

I'm very interested to hear your results, Dragman. Thread subscription added.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I should have the Kit and ammo Tues, Wed of next week. I am gonna play with it right away, but I do plan on getting a stainless caspian slide for it as I want to make it a complete custom gun.

I have been kicking this around for a few months now. I have an RIA tactical, but, they say that the RIA's arent hard enough. Is it possible to harden a slide?

don't know if you can harden a slide but Look into after market ones they start at $200 and go up.

I own a Rowland I built several years ago, using a Clark kit and a frame and slide from Essex, in their highest-end version with checkered frame and Bo-Mar sight cuts. It built up into a very nice, very impressive pistol. One thing you need to do, which is not mentioned in any instructions I've seen, is install an EGW flat-bottom firing pin stop. Also, be sure that you use at LEAST a full-strength (23 lb.) mainspring, and preferably, a 25-pounder. The heavy recoil spring slows unlocking a little, but only a heavy mainspring and flat-bottom stop slow it significantly enough to ease wear and to ease recoil a little. Contrary to what some will tell you, it is possible to get a good trigger pull with a heavy mainspring, if your hammer and sear are high-quality and properly mated. Both my Ultra Aegis 9x23s have 25 lb. mainsprings and 3.5 lb. triggers. The power of the Rowland package is awesome.

Update:
    The kit hasnt' arrived but I did make some changes. I have all sub 5" kimbers and My 5" colts are NOT going to get changed as they are mostly collector models. So when I came up with this Idea I figured I would use a Taurus 1911 I have that I picked up on the cheap ( it is honestly a real tack driver ) Anyway I read that this kit isn't recommended for that gun as the steel may be sub standard, so I am kinda stuck!!! Do I buy another Colt just for this or build one from the ground up??? Kit will be in Tuesday so time is of the essence.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    No qualifications to answer your question but something in my gut tells me you should go from the ground up. Sounds like you can afford it and that you have the passion to put into something like this. Only other comment is I'd only do all of this if I was intent on keeping it for life as you'll likely never be able to get out of it what you put into it.

Sounds like an incredibly awsome gun....keep us posted
    Gideon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links