Best Lightweight .38?

This is a discussion on Best Lightweight .38? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I currently have a Taurus 85UL that I am not very impressed with. The recoil is horrible and the accuracy is poor. Other than ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best Lightweight .38?

Best Lightweight .38?

Well I currently have a Taurus 85UL that I am not very impressed with. The recoil is horrible and the accuracy is poor. Other than that, the gun is fine but I would like to trade to get something better. My firearms instructor says to buy a S&W 360PD but I want something with a hammer. If it does not have a hammer, I would like for the best DA pull I could get. I just wanted some opinions before I went to the gun store. Also is there any of the snub noses out there that just stand out for accuracy and trigger pull above the rest?

2. Remove Ads

I'm gonna vote "none of the above."

A J-Frame made of steel is better than any of the alloy or polymer framed .38 Special models. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 642 with a decent trigger for a double action but I don't particularly like it. Great for carrying, it isn't as easily controlled to shoot as my steel framed Chielf's Special. The few ounces saved aren't worth it in my view and lightweight .38s are way overrated. I'm not certain that a handgun can be made light enough to suit many consumers in this day and age.
    wmhawth likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Ruger LCR is about as light as it gets and has a pretty sweet trigger. I have a S&W 442 and love it unwaveringly. I find the recoil to be a bit more manageable than the LCR. Threw some Wolf Springs in it and tamed the trigger substantially and it is as accurate as I can be.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

For revolvers, I am a S&W fan. The heavier stainless steel models are certainly more pleasant to shoot. The lighter alloy revolvers are a delight to carry. You just have to decide which attribute is more important to you; it is a personal preference. In my family, two chose Model 60's (stainless steel) and one a 637 Airweight.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I had a S&W 637 that was a bear to shoot and fired DA not very accurate for me, BUT many people swear by them and shoot them well.

I traded for a Kahr PM9 and have never looked back. Great trigger, easier to conceal, 2 more rounds, and for me much more accurate.

hammer: ruger sp101... built like a tank

hamerless: get a ruger LCR in .357 version. 17 oz, great trigger that stands out from the rest, lightweight and a wonderful shooter.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    hammer: ruger sp101... built like a tank

hamerless: get a ruger LCR in .357 version. 17 oz, great trigger that stands out from the rest, lightweight and a wonderful shooter.
    I gotta agree with that 100% love the LCR in 357 and the sp101 is what it always has been great
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I personally would try to find a S&W 342.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=217981972
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    SP-101 (not lite though) 442, 632, 637 are all quiet pleasant to me and represent a grreat value. So does the LCR for that matter.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    I have owned 10-12 J frame size wheel guns. The Ruger LCR, at 12 ounces, is light but TOO light. The SP-101, AT 25 ounces, shoots well but is TOO heavy to carry. 15 ounces shooting wadcutters is a nice compromise, and with a small weapon COMPROMISE is the key. My pocket gun is a S&W 638, at 15 ounces. For belt I go with the Ruger SP-101.

I really like my 642, easy to carry and combat accurate with a little practice. I reload for mine and shoot it about 150 rounds a month with light loads, making the recoil a non-issue for the most part during range time.

VIP Member
    I have a S&W 642 and 640. The 642 is a great light weight gun and it carries easy. I thought I screwed up when I purchased it until I put Hogue grips on it to tame the bite. The 640 is a bit heavier, but with the proper belt and holster, it is easily carried under just a t-shirt. It is also much more fun to shoot.

The question you need to answer is do you plan to carry a lot and shoot a little - 642, or carry a lot and shoot a lot - 640. The 640 will use either .38 spcl or .357. I find I carry my 640 WAY more than my 642.

Neither the 640 or 642 have exposed hammers, but in a shoot out, you won't have time to go SA. Whether you get an exposed hammer or not, you should practice DA so that you are familiar with the weapon in the SHTF mode.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

If you can find one, the S & W model 38 body guard with alumium frame is the best. Carries great and if shooting non + P's is controlable.

Well, for a hammered gun I chose the S & W 649 with the shrouded hammer. I can do DA or SA (my choice). It is not light as it is stainless but it shoots 357 or 38 if I want to go lighter with the load. My daughter chose the LCR in 38 that is a good shooter but it does not have an exposed hammer.

VIP Member
    Another 637 fan here. At first I couldn't hit anything with it, but after it surfaced all of my bad habits, it's like I can't miss now. I shoot everything else better since getting that little guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links