Switched - Page 2

Switched

This is a discussion on Switched within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just switched to a 1911. It would be an interesting poll to see what the trend is, away or to the style....

View Poll Results: Did change your carry format from a 1911?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope can't leave my 1911's behind

24 26.37%
  • Yes and went to ? (never looked back)

37 40.66%
  • Tried but keep coming back to a 1911

16 17.58%
  • See no reason to carry anything else

14 15.38%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switched

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I just switched to a 1911. It would be an interesting poll to see what the trend is, away or to the style.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I just switched to a 1911. It would be an interesting poll to see what the trend is, away or to the style.
    I agree start the poll!

The 1911 will always be a desired pistol, and a good performer. It basically replaced the SAA Colt 45, which is still just as viable today as it was over 100 years ago. But like the SAA, the 1911 has seen it's day. Despite the promotion of gun rags, and those in positions of notority, who love the design, and continue to attempt to influence markets, it is losing ground. People today want lighter, hi cap, and maintenance free designs.

The M9 has replaced this generations 1911, and it will become the next generations favorite.
    Newer shooters not emotionally attached to the history or sentimental value of the 1911 are looking at other designs, and choosing them over it.
    So, just like the SAA 45, which was actually fired a more potent round, was displaced, so eventually will the 1911.

This is not an indictment of the grand old gun, just my observations over time, judging from past to future.

I carried my DW 1911 for a while but had to switch to something else because it was a pain in the rear to maintain.

When your sweating on a gun all day during Texas summers, every day or so you're required to break down a blued 1911 and clean it up, reoil it and such just to keep it from turning into a piece of rusted junk.

So I have switched to various stainless and polymer pistols or stainless revolvers which require much less maintainence, and in the case of my most carried pistol holds more than 2x as many rounds as the 1911 and weighs a full pound less. Now the 1911 gets used at the range and carried occasionally during the cooler months when dress allows for the gun to remain rust free.

Nothing wrong with the 1911, great gun, but it just isn't as good a choice for me and my daily carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I went the other way and switched from a Springfield XD9sc to a 1911 and love it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    I actually went the other direction, was carrying a SIG P239, and an SA XDsc before that, and switched to a SA light weight loaded champion, the weight doesn't bother me, as I often carry a smith model 66, both are carried IWB.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

There is no more comforting feeling than having my 1911 on my hip. Period. That being said, there is a valid point to hot weather, working outside and maintenance required to keep the safety and slide stop from suffering the affect of sweat. So in the warmer months and when I'm actively working on a physically demanding job, I switch to the XD. Just don't like the idea of banging around the higher dollar gun. Still, when going out in the evening I don't feel well-dressed if the old gal (1911) is not in my holster. There is not a problem for me with the difference in the manual of arms. What can it hurt if I "swipe the safety" on the XD should I need to act with it? As far as "forgetting to swipe the safety in a SHTF situation" as some have said, training and practice are the key. As they are with ANY firearm.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Yes, and I went to CZ. I own other pistols of course, but my CZ SP01 replaced a 1911 that gave me headaches.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    I never left the Colt Series 80 SS Government model, alone for very long. I took it to the Sheriff's academy and it was my first duty gun. They're have been other 1911's too, LW Commander, SS Officer's model, SS Gold Cup, Delta Elite 10mm, Kimber Ultra Carry and a Springfield Mil-Spec. I also carry a 642, SP101, LCP, G19, G26, XD40SC, XD45 and an M9. But I've never stuck to any carry gun exclusively for any length of time. I pretty much carry depending on weather and destination. Being retired has it's privileges....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

From Kimber to Glock, forever...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

None of the poll questions fit me.

I rotate between a few pistols, I didn't switch from one to another.

My 1911 is my go-to gun. It's always been reliable for me, and I shoot it better than the rest.

Oh, and it's a Taurus
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm a die-hard 1911 fan, and my Combat Commander was my CCW of choice for about 30 years. A couple of years ago, I got a Kahr CW45 and it's taken over the top spot as my favorite CCW. It's noticeably smaller and lighter, and only gives up one round of capacity. I also prefer the DAO condition of the Kahr to 'Condition One' with a 1911. It may not actually be safer, but I prefer it, and it offers a (possibly) faster first shot.

I'm a firm believer that 7 rounds of .45 are more than adequate for most scenarios, but if I really think I might be headed for a higher-risk environment, I'll pack my XDm-40, if I can't just stay the heck away from there. There is a near-zero chance that after I've fired 17 rounds of .40 S&W, the fight has to continue. Either the threat has been eliminated, or I have.

I still sure love my Combat Commander, though!

FWIW,
    Jim

Administrator
    Yup, I did... but I keep looking back. Mine wasnt really by choice, I switced due to mandate. I'd probably go back given the chance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Had a Kimber UC CrimsonTrace II. Like others said to about roughing it up or the like. So I went with a Tuarus PT145 good gun! Mags suck. Then to a Glock 30SF AWESOME GUN! Nope, not for me.

So now I'm back to a Compact 1911. One that runs good, feels good (tight smooth action slide to frame) easy for me to carry (found good combo of holster and belt), I'm better with it than any other pistol I've had even with the GI sights.....RIAsc.

None of the poll options fit my carry either. My #1 EDC is usually my 3" Kimber UCII 1911. I do switch it up every so often with my G36 or sometimes my Taurus 617.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links