Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight - Page 2

Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

This is a discussion on Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most people want smaller and lighter handguns in order to be able to carry them more frequently since their dress attires pose a difficulty to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Most people want smaller and lighter handguns in order to be able to carry them more frequently since their dress attires pose a difficulty to carrying larger and heavier handguns. Also, most new handgun owners are more inclined to smaller and lighter handguns since they don't know that a good belt and holster would provide them with enough comfort to carry virtually any handgun.

In my case, I have full size, compact and sub-compact, but lately I have been favoring the smaller and lighter ones due to my work dress attire and extra comfort. I feel safe enough with my S&W 442 loaded with JHP plus two speed loaders ready to take care of business in case that SHTF. If you can't get it done with 15 rounds of .38+P JHP you probably need a shotgun or an AR-15 in the first place.

I am also thinking of buying a Ruger LCP for when I go jogging and when I wear fitted jeans or dress pants. I feel ok with .380 FMJ (better than a stick!).
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Small and light is nice for sure. However, when it comes to shaving an ounce or two here and there I think it's mostly just marketing. This manufacturer one-ups this manufacturer.. More numbers for salesmen to spew = more clientele on their heels believing the rep knows whats best for them.

Same thing with bicycles, golf clubs, you name it. It also gives us guys that much more to talk about. And we love to talk about it.

That being said, given the nature of my work I can't imagine hauling around anything much more than my Keltec P32 all day. In my case during work hours, it's mouse gun or no gun.
    Last edited by 3rik; March 3rd, 2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added more
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I don't think any experienced shooter prefers a micro gun for personal defense. I think they prefer it for carry, and train with with it enough to make it work if they ever had to use it in a personal defense situation.

I think a lot of inexperienced shooters look at duty size gun and assume it is too big and buy a micro gun. Then if if they have a problem shooting it they try a different gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I admit that I fall into this category. I don't go to the gym 6 days a week and run 20 miles a week so that I can wear all my clothes a size or 2 larger. I do however think that there is a balance to be struck.
    I am guilty as well. I know I could wear the bigger button up shirts and cargo shorts many people wear and conceal something big, but for me, I prefer slightly more fitted polos and jeans (or fitted-type long sleeve button ups). If dressing up, I prefer more fitted shirts and slacks. I can carry my XD45 compact fine with the former, usually, but with the latter, it is difficult.

It's why I bought a pocket carry pistol recently. I hope to be able to use it with dress clothes, because as it is, I'm often completely unarmed with dress clothes (maybe a knife or OC spray on me). Not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I don't think any experienced shooter prefers a micro gun for personal defense.
    In a similar vein, if, heaven forbid, I ever end up having to use my carry gun, I'm definitely not going to be wishing I had a smaller caliber or lighter, easier to carry gun. I'm going to wish I had the biggest gun I could carry in the largest, most effective caliber I could be proficient with.

But, like many things in life, compromise is the name of the game.

Cool

My Diamondback .380 has one purpose and that is for a deep concealment backup to a larger handgun. I try to carry as much gun as I can for primary depending on my attire.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I don't know who originally coined the phrase, but I adhere to the principle...." carrying of a firearm isn't necessarily intended to be comfortable, rather it is comforting".

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I don't know who originally coined the phrase, but I adhere to the principle...." carrying of a firearm isn't necessarily intended to be comfortable, rather it is comforting".
    I am SOOOOOOO sick of that quote. I seriously wish someone would strike it from the CCW cliche book. A gun that the carrier finds uncomfortable is going to eventually start getting left at home. Yes, there are those guys out there that will pack a steel frame 43oz 5 inch 1911 day in and day out and never complain. That is NOT the majority of people. Carrying a gun should be both comfortable AND comforting and if Clint Smith (The guy who originally said that I think) doesn't like it he can call me.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I agree with Rollo on this one. A pistol in your pocket is infinitely better than the big fat one left at home. If you can carry your .500 S&W everyday then god bless you, but there is nothing wrong with a lot of gun in a little package.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I didn't say I carried a cannon. As a matter of fact all of my handguns are either small framed revolvers or single stack pistols. Obviously, since they are relatively small, I can "comfortably" carry each of them, although I do "feel" them. I am just as tired of hearing "it's so comfortable you forget it's there". I never want to have to grope myself to make sure I still have my firearm in my possession. I don't pocket carry anyway (unless in a jacket pocket on rare occassions), although I do often carry a sub-compact in a clip type holster in the top of my boot when dress code requires deeper concealement. When in the boot top, I always feel it there, although it's rarely uncomfortable.

Sorry if I tipped over some folks apple carts, but that statement has a different meaning to me other than that being to carry a cannon. I have no argument with anyone's choice of caliber, make, size, model, etc. when choosing their means of self defense. Nor is anyone obligated to agree with my interpretation of commonly used phrases.

surv

I believe that a lot of 1st time carriers don't realize how easy it is to carry a decent sized gun.

In the end it doesn't matter; more people packing is a good thing

Rollo, your SP101 hardly fits in the mini-lightweight category It is small enough to carry, heavy enough to shoot full house A deadly combination for anyone who happens to be on the wrong end of it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    My showboat is a custom Smith’ 640 but I’m in the market for an older Bodyguard just so I can more easily stuff it in my pocket. If anyone hears of a decent copy, let me know.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by guantes View Post
    i am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense.....

pocket carry
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Let's face it. There is one other segment that hasn't been brought up. The buyers that want to be able say they have (conceal) a gun. They're out there and I bet we all may know one or more. I liken it to the H-D motorcycle owners that have the big shiney hog with no miles on it.

The other thing seems to me is what people feel is their "need". Something that I feel is not served by alot of the designer guns on the market.

And as long as we're talking about getting rid of cliches. How about "it's better than a sharp stick". Is it?

Once again - those of you who need to wear dress attire at work may wish to check out the Smartcarry. Wear pleated dress pants, and you can comfortably carry a much larger handgun than you may think...and with a tucked-in dress shirt and easy access as well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense.

I can understand those with infirmities or work situations that dictate very light small handguns, but what's with everybody else? I hear people talk about a few ounces like its ten pounds.
    Currently, I'm in the "infirmities" group, though previously I was not. At either time, I have valued a pocket-carried defensive firearm being lighter than a certain weight, due to the flopping and sagging issues with something "too heavy." Anything more than 16-17oz overall has seemed too much. A well-designed pocket holster only goes so far, hence weight is the remaining major factor for allowing such an item to be comfortably pocket carried. Though, on the hip (at least for me), the a 5-10oz difference isn't much at all.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links