Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

This is a discussion on Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With my body type (read no ass at all) and ever expanding abdomen, i am forced to use suspenders when carrying a heavy weapon. Suspenders ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

With my body type (read no ass at all) and ever expanding abdomen, i am forced to use suspenders when carrying a heavy weapon. Suspenders are alright when you wear jeans and a cover shirt + T-shirt but in the summer with Tshirt and shorts, they look pretty bad. A light weapon would serve me better in those times rather than go unarmed. Plus my threat level just isnt there to carry an arsenal at all times. It is always good to have options.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

2. Remove Ads

Clint Smith coined the phrase" handguns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable". While it's catchy, it's not something I agree with all together. I attempt to carry a full size gun at all times, but let's face it, size and weight can present problems.

On the other hand, when and if the shtf for you, more than likely you will want the biggest, most bullets, gun in your hand. Life is a balancing act.

It took me over 400 rds and a golf glove (sore right hand) to achive my goal of keeping all the rounds out of my ex-Kel-Tec P3AT in the 10 ring of a B27 Police Pistol Silhouette at 15 yards.

During that time I was also shooting a 1911 .45 ACP Colt Commander, Glock 23 and cowboy action shooting SA's over 700 rds a month.

Regardless, the Kel Tec was always there. I always regarded it as my last ditch, get out of Dodge, running away as fast as I could pistol.

When I retired and moved to a rural area the Kel Tec was traded in on a 2 inch J frame in .38 special that has now become my pocket gun and the Glock 23 my EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Once again - those of you who need to wear dress attire at work may wish to check out the Smartcarry. Wear pleated dress pants, and you can comfortably carry a much larger handgun than you may think...and with a tucked-in dress shirt and easy access as well.
    I can second this. It does work. My concern with the SC is that it digs into my gut. I don't know how to prevent that. If not digging, the plain weight of my XD45 tends to press on the gut and related areas. On some days it makes me very uncomfortable.

Ugh. Can someone please provide a link to the "Mini-Micro-Subcompact Supertanium Lightweight" ? I can't find it on Google and I'm just DYING to buy one!
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

When i first got my CCW, i thought i needed a Glock 30.. and thats what i got. I got a crossbreed supertuck and carried all the time. I then purchased a Smith 642CT and a pocket holster. After a few months, i found myself carrying the SMith more than the Glock. reason why is quite obvious for me... its lightweight, easily carried in all my pants or jean shorts, and i shoot it quite well at self defense distances. Why carry the 30 ounce gun when you can carry a 15 ounce gun? Extra rounds, bigger cal, etc for me does not answer that question. Have i thrown away the Glock? Nope. I still carry it, still find it comfortable, but i just like the smaller j frame better. bunker

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I can second this. It does work. My concern with the SC is that it digs into my gut. I don't know how to prevent that. If not digging, the plain weight of my XD45 tends to press on the gut and related areas. On some days it makes me very uncomfortable.
    If your Smartcarry is digging into your gut, try shifting it to the 11:00 position, assuming you are right handed. The barrel/slide will have more room down your left leg. Keep the bottom of the grip centered on your zipper line.

The XD45 is also a bit large, but I did carry a G19 this way for a year and a half. Currently use a smaller G26, but I may go slightly larger again with a G36 (if my wife steals my G26).

Hope this helps. I've tried almost every type of holster under the sun (except OWB - that's a non-starter for my needs) and I keep coming back to the Smartcarry. And for less than $60 delivered, you get a near-universal holster, a spare mag carrier, and a belt...all in one. That's a super bargain.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Clint Smith coined the phrase" handguns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable". While it's catchy, it's not something I agree with all together. I attempt to carry a full size gun at all times, but let's face it, size and weight can present problems.

On the other hand, when and if the shtf for you, more than likely you will want the biggest, most bullets, gun in your hand. Life is a balancing act.
    I think we all know what clint means. Ive carried for years, and to be honest nothing is real comfortable. That being said, everyone should carry what they feel is the most comfortable gun they can carry. Being armed is much more important than comfort. Be safe guys and gals.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I carry heavy guns and like the competition in the supertanium segment. It's just another excuse for me to buy a gun. I wouldn't mind having one as a backup. Also a quick cheap fix for the noobie CC guy who's satisfied with the fact that they have a firearm no matter what even if they've never really practiced drills from their pocket...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense.

I can understand those with infirmities or work situations that dictate very light small handguns, but what's with everybody else? I hear people talk about a few ounces like its ten pounds.
    A multitude of reasons.
    1. I am only 5-7. Concealing a large gun is almost impossible. Some of us have to fight situations where deep concealment is manditory, for either employment or other considerations. Besides that, the defense weapon has a tactical advantage of suprize if the BG don't know you have it.
    2. Comfort in carrying. As was said on the website: "first rule of a gunfight: have a gun" The gun does no good at home in a safe.
    3. Realization of the threat level. A LEO may encounter multiple assailants. He needs a powerful, high capacity firearm ( and be well trained). My threat level is 1 or 2 attempting to rob me. I don't need a 17 shot gun, because if I don't get them with the 1st 3 shot they got me.
    4. Yes, the handgun market is consumer driven. Kel-tec came out with small handguns. They sold well. Then Ruger, Smith, Taurus, and others came up with clones or new designs (yeah, right). Someone in marketing said "look at how theirs are selling. Why don't we get o the bandwagon?

People want a small, easily concealed gun for protection. Maybe it may mot be the right choice, but thats what they want.
    However, that said, just get one with enough power to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Increase in ammo prices drives people to Smaller calibers like 380 and 9mm

Increase in permits and gun ownership

Just my hypothesis
    Ammo savings might be an issue with the 9mm, but I think the 380 is still a little more pricey, plus it still a little harder to find I think. That may be better now, but I know during the ammo shortage it seemed it was the hardest to find.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I am guilty as well. I know I could wear the bigger button up shirts and cargo shorts many people wear and conceal something big, but for me, I prefer slightly more fitted polos and jeans (or fitted-type long sleeve button ups). If dressing up, I prefer more fitted shirts and slacks. I can carry my XD45 compact fine with the former, usually, but with the latter, it is difficult.

It's why I bought a pocket carry pistol recently. I hope to be able to use it with dress clothes, because as it is, I'm often completely unarmed with dress clothes (maybe a knife or OC spray on me). Not good at all.

I find that I can easily conceal a steel 2" snub nose 38 under a tucked dress shirt with no problem at all. I love my High Noon Split Decision. I have carried my Glock 27 in one this way also, but find it prints just a tiny bit. If I am going somewhere that I wouldn't care if I was made, I wouldn't worry about the Glock in the High Noon. If I feel that someone that actually knows me might pay a little more attention, and I would prefer to not be made by them I might opt for the snubbie.

I guess I fall somewhat into the medical condition group. My primary carry gun has always been my Glock 36 carried IWB at 4oclock with a spare mag at 7oclock. While it is not exactly heavy compared to other setups, I have a bad back due to a lumbar injury from a bad car accident. After a long day that setup can take a toll since my back hurts on a good day and is nearly unbearable on a bad day. Lately I have found myself carrying my LCR 38 with 2 speed strips more and more, especially on my bad days. I have been toying around with picking up a second LCR and carry one on each side to balance out the weight on my back, and it would give me a NY reload. I think many people who are new to ccw go the small gun route due to the ease of being able to carry a gun. I personally don't really care what someone else chooses to carry as long as it works for them. Different strokes, for different folks!

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    A multitude of reasons.
    1. I am only 5-7. Concealing a large gun is almost impossible. Some of us have to fight situations where deep concealment is manditory, for either employment or other considerations. Besides that, the defense weapon has a tactical advantage of suprize if the BG don't know you have it.
    2. Comfort in carrying. As was said on the website: "first rule of a gunfight: have a gun" The gun does no good at home in a safe.
    3. Realization of the threat level. A LEO may encounter multiple assailants. He needs a powerful, high capacity firearm ( and be well trained). My threat level is 1 or 2 attempting to rob me. I don't need a 17 shot gun, because if I don't get them with the 1st 3 shot they got me.
    4. Yes, the handgun market is consumer driven. Kel-tec came out with small handguns. They sold well. Then Ruger, Smith, Taurus, and others came up with clones or new designs (yeah, right). Someone in marketing said "look at how theirs are selling. Why don't we get o the bandwagon?

People want a small, easily concealed gun for protection. Maybe it may mot be the right choice, but thats what they want.
    However, that said, just get one with enough power to do the job.
    Please do not take this the wrong way, but you need to re-evaluate the reason you carry.. Your training should be on par with the police. You should be able to stop the threat. You level should be higher, police use necessary for, we can only use equal force, Please think about this. I would rather have you over prepaired than under...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I will agree with many that have posted without quoting all the threads. I think the release of the Ruger LCP started the barrage of small pocket guns. Time found many people not satisfied while shooting these guns but loved carrying them. The .380 does not get a lot of respect as a defensive round and this is NOT to start an argument on that subject.

Gun manufacturers geared up to saturate the market in small .380s some priced fairly high. I think the multitude of comments on forums and discussion groups praising the Kahr PM9 for only being slightly larger, better trigger, more accurate, easier to shoot, and a larger better respected 9mm round gave the manufacturers pause. OK we have almost maxed out the demand for these .380s lets move on to slightly larger 9mm. My belief is that if the Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo and others came out first we would not have all these .380s.

It's called marketing. Know your customer base, many new carriers, and give them what they think they want and then move them forward.

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 about 10% of the time then it is a larger H&K P2000 in a HBE or T&T holster. Not as comfortable but very doable for a very large guy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links