Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

This is a discussion on Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense. I can understand those with infirmities ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

Mini-Micro-Subcompact, Supertanium Lightweight

I am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense.

I can understand those with infirmities or work situations that dictate very light small handguns, but what's with everybody else? I hear people talk about a few ounces like its ten pounds.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Pocket carry

I think the main utility of subcompact guns of very light weight (12 to 15 ounces) is pocket carry. For normal belt carry the weight is less critical, since a good belt and holster can easily support a gun in the 20 to 30 ounce range without discomfort. But a heavier gun in the pocket causes your pockets to visibly sag, making carry there impractical.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I am curious as what is driving the the current rage of ultra subcompact lightweight handguns for self defense.
    I can understand those with infirmities or work situations that dictate very light small handguns, but what's with everybody else? I hear people talk about a few ounces like its ten pounds.
    I'm with you - I routinely pocket carry an all steel J frame .38 , or 20 plus ounce 9x18 pistol.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It's my belief that a smaller and lighter handgun is a less noticeable (to the wearer) handgun. A less noticeable handgun is more comfortable and because of that it is more likely to be carried on a regular basis.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The unitiated (new buyers since BHO) want a gun to protect them on their person but dint want the burden of heavy or big. Demand is driving the market, and us seasoned shooters like the novelty and convenience they bring when properly practiced.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Increase in ammo prices drives people to Smaller calibers like 380 and 9mm

Increase in permits and gun ownership

Just my hypothesis

I believe the same as other posters mentioned, plus dress attire is a big factor. I would say all day comfort is the driving force, combined with ease of concealment are strong appeals.

Much rather shoot the large ones but can't hide'em - a good shooting small gun is a pleasure to carry.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

My side opinion, the guys and gals in the taliored suits don't want to look like they're carrying a sac of change in there pockets!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

my first revoler was a Smith 642 ct. I have several more revolvers now, and often carry a taurus 357 steel snub that weighs in at 23 ounces unloaded... i dont mind it at all, but it is quite a bit heavier in the pocket compared to the 642... almost double the weight. I dont let it deter me from carrying it though in my rotation of guns. its nice to have options depending on the pants i am wearing. bunker

I think now that more people are getting permits and carry concealed, you have more people who aren't willing to compromise their dress styles as much. Plus, there are plenty of people who don't want to spend the money on a good belt and holster (or maybe just don't know about it), with which they might be able to easily conceal a larger pistol/revolver.

I got on the sub compact kick for a while...now I'm obtaining much larger handguns and finding I can carry them and conceal them just as easily. I'm not sure why I jumped on the bad wagon, but now I wish I had the larger versions of a few of them. I like having a couple small guns for more options of carry method based on dress, but after concealing a 5"bbl 1911 in khaki shorts and a t-shirt most of last summer its not as big a concern as it used to be. Live and learn.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

I carry a full sized 1911 with shorts and untucked shirt on many occasions without a problem. However, I prefer pocket carry to any other, as it is quicker into action than any other means of carry that I have ever used. So, the light compact guns that are .38spec or larger work great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    you have more people who aren't willing to compromise their dress styles as much.
    I admit that I fall into this category. I don't go to the gym 6 days a week and run 20 miles a week so that I can wear all my clothes a size or 2 larger. I do however think that there is a balance to be struck. I like a small gun that is easy to conceal and the SP101 fills that role nicely. It may be a comprise when it comes to capacity and reload speed but it's hard to a argue with 5 rounds of .357 mag.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thanks to all those who responded.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links