New pocket pistol - Diamondback DB380 (pics)

This is a discussion on New pocket pistol - Diamondback DB380 (pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (you can skip to the pics below if you don't want to read my ramblings) Originally I was going to snap up a Sig P238. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pocket pistol - Diamondback DB380 (pics)

New pocket pistol - Diamondback DB380 (pics)

(you can skip to the pics below if you don't want to read my ramblings)

Originally I was going to snap up a Sig P238. Then I heard about the Kimber Solo. Well, ok, then - so then I just had to have a Solo. I called around obsessively as well. But week after week, and Kimber wasn't delivering. This past Friday, I said enough was enough and that it was time to just write off the Solo for good, or at least, get something "for now."

So I was very close to grabbing a Keltec P3AT. But I saw this one for about $50 more. As some of you know, the DB380 had a not so great history. But people are saying that Diamondback has greatly improved the quality of the 380 over the past 1-2 years, and that the newer ones are much better. Well, I hope so. I haven't shot it yet, but I hope to soon.

It seemed like a "nicer" pistol compared to the LCP and P3AT. That's not to say there's anything wrong with either of those guns, though. Maybe what I'm trying to say is that this seems more of a solid firearm. Anyway, so far, impressions are positive. I like the in-hand feel. It is very close to being the same size as an LCP.

Since the top of your hand is able to sit up much higher than the LCP/P3AT/TCP, I hope that helps to tame muzzle flip a bit. Only concern is whether I might get slide bitten a bit if my hand is a bit too high.

I did a quick clean of it. It seemed pretty standard, and not difficult to break down. I don't own a Glock, but I assume it is pretty much the same procedure. Inside looked ok. The feed ramp is near-mirror polished from the factory.

The trigger is metal. It felt good, as did the trigger pull. It is long, but it actually felt nice. Note, I do not have a lot of experience in nice triggers. I shoot an XD45 stock trigger and Ruger MK III stock trigger. So I suppose I am comparing it to that. Anyway, it is heavy and long, but I liked it. Wasn't "sloppy" and felt "tight" in a good way. Wasn't mushy feeling to me.

Magazine release requires some effort to push. That's not a bad thing, since I know some people complain about accidentally dropping magazines on these small pistols. I highly doubt that will happen with the DB380.

Here are some pics.

Box it comes in

What you see upon opening and moving some things out of the way

The magazine looks a bit strange in most of the pics. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong it. I think it is blued, but the leftover grease and CLP on it sort of create that effect when I touch it.

"real" sights

Comparisons with my XD45 4" with the compact magazine in.

^^ Nice tissue box

I like the feel of the DB380 enough that I think I'm ready to keep it and write off the Solo for a much later day. But, let's see whether it is reliable enough for pocket carry. I have a Nemesis pocket holster coming in which I hope to use with it.

I'm also happy to report that the serrations are deep and aggressive enough to be very useful, but not sharp that it hurts to use them.

2. Remove Ads

How many mags did it come with? Sights are a whole lot better than the other offerings! Looking forward to the range report!

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

It came with only one magazine. I read it can accept P3AT magazines, though, so if you have any of those you might be able to use them with the DB too.

For a small gun I think those sights look great, I agree I do not hink another pocket pistol comes with sights like that....AWSOME>

Mine makes a perfect pocket backup in a High Noon Pocket Grabber holster.
    I purchased a second magazine with a finger rest which is on my gun in the photo.
    P18163004.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

A quick thought on the trigger. I know some people are uncomfortable carrying striker-fired pocket pistols, but I don't think there's any need for concern with this. The trigger is decently heavy, and only breaks when it is all the way back. I mean, right up against the frame. There's a firing pin block as well so no worries about drop fire.

Good luck with the gun, looking foward to the range report.

These guys from Gun Blast always do a quick neat little video on different firearms. This guy loves him some "corbon" ammo it's like all he uses in every gun he fires.
    just click on the below link to see the diamondback in action:

YouTube - Gunblast.com - Diamondback DB380 .380 Pocket Pistol
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Range Report. Went to the range today. I left very disappointed. However, before I continue, the DB is well known to be "picky" about ammo. I bought ammo before really researching that, and bought "Prvi Partizan" from ammunitiontogo. Apparently that is on the "trouble" list.

So, when it did work, I really liked it. I mean, really liked it. It is very sweet to shoot. Feels great in the hand, and is not uncomfortable in the least when the round goes off. It actually feels nice. You could really shoot this little pistol all day if you wanted to. It feels great.

But, unfortunately, I spent most of my time at the range today clearing malfunctions. I'm not sure if it was the ammo or the gun, or a combination.

I had a disturbing number FTFs (fire), a few FTFs (feed) that took me a long time to clear, and several stovepipe/caught casings. I don't think I was limpwristing. I did have one completely trouble free magazine, though. That was a great feeling. In fact, I actually intentionally limp wristed it (a bit, not a lot) during that perfect magazine, and it kept feeding and firing just fine.

I also had some weird malfunction where I could see the round in the chamber, but it was as if the slide was "stuck" behind it. That is, it seemed almost as if the extractor slipped off the rim or something, and so the back of the round was preventing the slide from returning fully into battery. I had to clear this several times, and it was very frustrating each time, since there's no slide lock. I basically had to try to "hook" the front of the slide onto the table (and it slipped off several times due to the rounded nature of the front of the slide), and try to push it back that way. Keep in mind, there's a live round in the chamber. Once I got it back enough, I used my knife (which I'm glad I brought!) to try to get the round out of the chamber so that I could hopefully just shake it out of there. It felt really "tight" in the chamber. I had to use a good amount of force with my knife to get it out of there. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I don't think so.

The feed issue was strange. It is almost as if it tried to double-feed, and there was a round in the chamber, but the next round was right below it. At first glance, it almost looks normal. But the slide won't close, and that round is jammed up against the chambered round. Can't even rack the slide to get it unstuck. I had to try to move back the slide with one hand while hitting the mag release as well. I used my pinkies to try to "pry" the magazine loose. Once the magazine dropped free, the stuck round could usually be shaken out of the magwell. Very odd. Sometimes the slide would close successfully, and at other times, you'd end up with the malfunction I described in the previous paragraph. I had to do all this with the live round still in the chamber, which wasn't fun.

Here's a picture:

So that's the story of today. I bought some Remington UMC from walmart on my way home. People have had good experiences with that on the DB boards. I'm hoping things will get better. But as it is, this pistol has made a bad first impression on me. I hope it's just bad ammo.

Some of the FTFs (fire) fired when I loaded those rounds back into the magazine. But some did not, even on a third try. I wasn't sure if they were receiving light strikes, but they didn't look like it. Judge for yourselves (from the left, 1 and 2 did not go off, the 3rd was successfully fired the first time - I put that in there for comparison):

the ammo

My target (21')

The pistol seems fairly accurate. The reason it is all left and low is because of me . I'm working on it.

Here is the UMC I bought.

I hope it proves to be good. I really want to like this pistol.

One last note. You have to pull the slide ALL the way back and let it sling forward in order to feed the first round from a magazine on an empty chamber. Not a big deal, just a FYI. I know some people like the ride the slide forward a bit when feeding that first round. Do not do that with this pistol.

Just a shot in the dark but I brought a buddy to the range with me, he had one of the TCPs and it kept having issues returning to battery and FTE I stripped it for him and found he had the recoil spring in backwards, just something to check it can easily happen if you're distracted while cleaning.

Thanks pipes. I'll be sure to check that tomorrow when I clean it.

Good choice. They look like great guns and I do make holsters for them and have some in stock.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I hope you did as the manufacturer suggests and field strip and clean and lubricate the weapon before firing it for the first time. Mine did not like Sellor and Bellot ammo but has been feeding Speer Lawman without a hitch. Good luck . It is a good weapon if treated right.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I did do that. I even hit it with another thin layer of CLP the night before I went to the range (since it seemed like the CLP I put on before disappeared? Not sure what happened to it, but it looked pretty dry).

I'm hoping it is just the ammo. Hopefully I'll find out on Thurs whether that Remy UMC does the trick or not. I'll be cleaning it again tonight. I'll try some new WeaponShield I bought to lube it this time.

Old School, when you tried the S & B ammo, where you getting any weird malfunctions like what I described? Or just your basic failure to fire and failure to eject? At any rate, I think if I can find ammo that works and the malfunctions are not really the gun's fault, I can break it in properly and the pistol should be more reliable after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links