AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! - Page 3

AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

This is a discussion on AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zwanboy104 the gun was designed to be fired one handed. it needs the movement in order to chamber the following rounds correctly. ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

Quote Originally Posted by zwanboy104 View Post
    the gun was designed to be fired one handed. it needs the movement in order to chamber the following rounds correctly. holding it too firmly with both arms will not allow it to do so. as a result, jam after jam.
    What? It jams if you don't limp wrist it? I don't get it...that sounds backwards
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    What? It jams if you don't limp wrist it? I don't get it...that sounds backwards
    No. You can't limp wrist it. That will cause jams and stovepiping as well. Shooting it one handed allows the gun to move backwards towards you caused by the heavy recoil. Due to it's design, it works best that way and was meant to due that. I know it's strange, but after firing the gun it makes all the sense in the world.

Administrator
    Worthwhile added information. Much appreciated. Oh...that 'sure does explain the atypical (for a firearm) slide marking method.
    Great that once you got it tweaked you are still feeling that it is worth owning.
    It is mighty doggone small for it's .45ACP chambering and I like it for that reason.
    It honestly comes very close to being a "vest pocket" .45 so I hope they are able to eventually work through those "function related" bugs/issues.

3 weeks ago i ordered a high standard/amt backup in 45 acp. it was rather costly and came in a brown cardboard box with the classic amt cresent moon logo. there were no papers or manuals with it. i was trying to locate an original which i could not find in person, so i broke down and just got a new one.

the backup immediately gave me problems. ejecting unfired rounds etc. so the gunsmith tweaked the magazine for me since high standard refused to send a new one or replace it. also, the recoil spring is too short causing the guide rod to rattle around. i fixed that after hours of banging on the flange to rough it up so the guide rod stays in place with the barrel.

after spending numerous outtings with the amt backup, i finally got it to feed reliable. the gun was designed to be fired one handed. it needs the movement in order to chamber the following rounds correctly. holding it too firmly with both arms will not allow it to do so. as a result, jam after jam.

the trigger has roughly a 20+ lbs pull. if squeezed, you'll never get it to fire. you have to pull it quickly and hard. for as small as it is, it's pretty accurate. remington fmj and winchester hp work great. s&b primars are too hard for the amt backup.

one final thing i'd like to mention. these are NOT new manufactured guns. they are simply left over ones that were produced by galena industries. all they did was sand the sides of the slides and put a houston texas stamp on it. that's why the sides are polished and the rest still have the galena bead blast finish. the edges are VERY sharp on the slide.

overall, i love my amt backup. if anyone buys one new, i can promise you it may take some work and tinkering before it does what it's supposed to do. most importantly, it has to be fired with the technique in mind that it was designed with - shooting one handed. i'll be happy to post pics if anyone would like.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

los
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...It is mighty doggone small for it's .45ACP chambering and I like it for that reason.
    It honestly comes very close to being a "vest pocket" .45....
    I concur.. :)

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    Well, if they get their act together that will be a very good thing.

If not then it may just be a decent base "build" gun where a certain group of folks will purchase it for the slide, barrel, frame...etc and then send it off to a custom gunsmith right out of the box to get tuned and tightened and possibly given a DA trigger pull somewhat less than 20 Pounds.

It wouldn't be the first time that has happened...remember The ASP?

i had both the .380 and .45 and they operated flawless. i could not believe how accurate i was with the .45, very heavy trigger and no sights, a super small gun. i have read a lot of bad about them but i had mine for over 20 years before i sold them. they were cheaply made and ruff but at the time no one else came close in size to the .45 BU. i always thought if a company made them really right [much better] it would sell well. but there are much better and lighter guns on the market now, a different day.

.....one final thing i'd like to mention. these are NOT new manufactured guns. they are simply left over ones that were produced by galena industries. all they did was sand the sides of the slides and put a houston texas stamp on it. that's why the sides are polished and the rest still have the galena bead blast finish. the edges are VERY sharp on the slide. .....
    This is really interesting. Where did you get this info?

thanks
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

los
    Almost the same size as the LC9...

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    This is really interesting. Where did you get this info?

thanks
    i did a lot of research - books, online etc. when galena industries went bankrupt, there were still thousands of firearm parts available. high standard has taken these parts and just assembles them. there are several things that give it away too. on my high standard/amt, you can tell where the original galena printing has been sanded off the slide. the serial numbers are also numbers that were engraved by galena. finally, the parts look like they've been sitting in a warehouse banged around for ten years.

i did a lot of research - books, online etc. when galena industries went bankrupt, there were still thousands of firearm parts available. high standard has taken these parts and just assembles them. there are several things that give it away too. on my high standard/amt, you can tell where the original galena printing has been sanded off the slide. the serial numbers are also numbers that were engraved by galena. finally, the parts look like they've been sitting in a warehouse banged around for ten years.
    Thanks, I am curious about this.

It looks like they made some changes somewhere along the line.

For instance, this is a pic of my gun:

Now, compare mine to this one below from High Standard (their web site pic), and you can immediately see that the have shrouded some of the trigger linkage. What else has changed, do you know?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Thanks, I am curious about this.

It looks like they made some changes somewhere along the line.

For instance, this is a pic of my gun:

Now, compare mine to this one below from High Standard (their web site pic), and you can immediately see that the have shrouded some of the trigger linkage. What else has changed, do you know?

thanks
    there are only 3 differences between the high standard (mine) and the original irwindale backup (yours). the first difference is oblivously the finish. high standard backups have the galena bead blast finish but the sides of the slide are polished/sanded with a new logo. second, they come with a dust cover over the trigger transfer bar. galena started adding those right before they closed. you can purchase those online if you really want one. i ended up just taking it off because it's a pain having to unscrew the grip apart ever time you want to takedown the firearm for cleaning. there is only one major difference. the slot on the barrel to accept the guide rod doesn't have the extra step like the originals to keep it tightly together. since the recoil spring isn't long enough, it only relies on the lower frame to keep it from falling.

as i mentioned, since i couldn't get another spring to fit i took the guide rod and roughed up the flange of it so it would stay against the barrel and not rattle around. eventually i'll have to order a longer and better spring. but in the end, it works. and as long as it goes bang every time, it's enough to keep me happy.

..... and as long as it goes bang every time, it's enough to keep me happy.
    Did you do a "fluff and buff" (or something similar) on yours to get it functioning properly?

there are only 3 differences between the high standard (mine) and the original irwindale backup (yours). the first difference is oblivously the finish. high standard backups have the galena bead blast finish but the sides of the slide are polished/sanded with a new logo. second, they come with a dust cover over the trigger transfer bar...
    ...there is only one major difference. the slot on the barrel to accept the guide rod doesn't have the extra step like the originals to keep it tightly together. since the recoil spring isn't long enough, it only relies on the lower frame to keep it from falling.
    From the pics, it looks like they've either lengthened the slide, or shortened the frame. The slide appears to extend noticeably farther past the frame on the High Standard. Not a big difference, but noticeable.

It sure would be a slick little pistol, if it worked.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    From the pics, it looks like they've either lengthened the slide, or shortened the frame. The slide appears to extend noticeably farther past the frame on the High Standard. Not a big difference, but noticeable.

It sure would be a slick little pistol, if it worked.

Regards,
    Jim
    I saw that to and from just eyeballing it, I'd say definitely the slide is longer...is the barrel longer also?

Administrator
    There is definately more barrel and slide forward the frame.
    And...if the slide and barrel are longer on the newer models then those can't be vintage parts. I'm just sayin'
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links