AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

This is a discussion on AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun I had made the mistake of buying a "Backup 380" about 18 years ago. If you wanted to hit the ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I had made the mistake of buying a "Backup 380" about 18 years ago. If you wanted to hit the broad side of a barn with it, you were better off throwing the gun at it. What a POS!
    Here's a tip: If you're INSIDE the barn, and facing the right direction, you can occaisionally hit the broad side with an AMT. Best be standing close to the side you want to hit, though...

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

jyo
    A heavy lump---shot several of the orig pistols way back when---never shot one that ran 100% or even close---who cares when you can get a Kahr P45 or a Glock 36 that are better in almost every way.

Question The AMT Backup 45 -- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.....

Interesting thread...
    Lots of comparisons to Glocks, Kahrs and others..I think some of you are missing the point.
    The BEST concealed carry gun is that is the gun you will ACTUALLY carry ! We would all love a nice .50 caliber Desert Eagle or 44 Magnum in our hand in a confrontation but would you really want to concealed CARRY one??
    Yes, the AMT .45 has alot of bad points against it...
    • Solid stainless steel makes it somewhat heavy,
      no real sights,
      no external safety of any kind,
      a magazine catch that not the quickest to operate
      and a trigger pull that will build new muscles on your trigger finger (please remember that that atrocious trigger pull IS the ONLY safety this gun has)
    ...BUT pound for pound it is the smallest, easily concealable, most powerful handgun at a price you won't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for.
    The operative word here is BACKUP. THAT is what the AMT Backup .45 is all about! This pistol is not for target shooting, plinking or competition is it meant to be the small, powerful and easily concealed weapon of last resort to be whipped out only when faced with a life or death situation. We all hear the buzz that the .380 is a marginal defense round and that the 9mm is better but still not great..The .45 ACP will ruin any bad guys day and is definitely an "attention getter" and a man stopper...
    At average combat range you should be able to easily hit any man size target with this pistol and it will stop any 2 legged predator in its tracks with ONE shot! It SHOULD be a winner of a carry gun..buy ONLY if it is reliable.
    Now it remains to be seen if HIGH STANDARD will actually show that they have high standards by making this gun a reliable shooter right out of the box. If they do not then it will repeat the original AMT Backup 45's IFFY reputation for reliability and be carried only by those diehard few willing to fluff, buff and baby it into reliability...Just my .02 cents. RAS

Quote Originally Posted by rasdebol View Post
    Interesting thread...
    ..I think some of you are missing the point...

...BUT pound for pound it is the smallest, easily concealable, most powerful handgun at a price you won't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for...

At average combat range you should be able to easily hit any man size target with this pistol and it will stop any 2 legged predator in its tracks with ONE shot!...
    I hope so, 'cause that's probably all you'll get.

A 2-shot .357 or .45 derringer is smaller, more easily concealed, just as powerful, and you get an extra shot.

No, seriously, I'd love a .45 Backup if it would work. Not holding my breath, though...

Regards,
    Jim

Cool The Amt Backup 45 acp

Hi, I found this site looking up pictures on the Google site. It shows pictures of whatever you type in. I just acquired a few weeks
    ago an Amt Backup 45 and found it to be a pretty durable gun. The parts to this gun are very small in number and extremely easy to
    take apart for repair or cleaning. For a number of years I have owned two of the Amt Backup 380 single action pistols and I always
    liked them. This 45 backup model is much easier to disassemble and clean plus I have always liked the weight of the amt guns. The
    recoil is pretty tame and I find the backups to be easy to conceal and carry. I'm a 100% disabled veteran and use these as a way to
    defend myself. A few years ago two guys in their twenties were watching me put my change in my wallet at a store, my senses told me
    something was strange with these two. As I left the store one kid was already in the parking lot and waited until I was near my car before pulling a knife out of his pants. His other friend was about ten feet behind me. I raised up my shirt just enough that he could see
    my gun. They both took off running, I never reported it to the police. At the time I carried the amt 380 but now have opted for
    the 45. I use a arm supported crutch to walk and have heard that there are criminals targeting disabled people. Since then I haven't
    had a problem with anyone. I've picked up spare parts for this model gun and in the process of buying one for my son. So far the
    gun functions flawlessly. I'm in my mid fifties and like the older stainless steel models that have some weight to them. Is there anyone
    out there who can tell me alittle more about this particular gun? Any information would be great as I spend alot of time stuck home looking for something to keep me active.

Well, my AMT 45 packs a pretty fierce recoil. It's definitely not a gun for a limp-wristed shooter. My particular gun functioned horribly, until I did a careful so-called 'fluff and buff'. Ever since then, it has been smooth as butter and has not malfunctioned once, but I only use 230gr RN, as shown in pic. It's a fairly heavy little gun, weights shown in pics. It is still my favorite carry gun. The size of the 45 muzzle is a real attention getter. The guys at my gun club are always a little impressed at the way this thing barks on the range. It makes a lot of noise and flash!

amt45_2.jpg - - - - amt45_1.jpg

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
    ....Is there anyone
    out there who can tell me alittle more about this particular gun? Any information would be great as I spend alot of time stuck home looking for something to keep me active.
    Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number, if you'd like to call and chat about this pistol.

Dave

And oh BTW - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The AMT Back Up pistol was specifically developed as a CQB weapon. It's design and diminutive size makes it a formidable 45acp deep concealment weapon. It's definitely not a target range gun, so traditional iron sights would be pretty much useless with this platform.

That being said, the Back-Up 45 excels as a carry weapon when the operator becomes proficient with Point Shooting technique.
    Ah that is one of my favorite techniques right behind the quart of blood technique! haha

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los
    LMAO..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
    ... Is there anyone
    My Primary will soon be my Back Up (and vice-versa)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    This reminds me of when I owned a Detonics Mark VII, which was so unreliable at feeding, yet was such a handy, yet hand-filling, compact back-up, that I considered using it as a single-shot, a virtual derringer, because it ALWAYS fired the round in the chamber. Of course, this was when I worshiped big-bore cartridges, and thought one round of .45 beat five rounds of .38 Special. I went the J-frame .38 route, instead, and gradually learned to not worry about bore size.

I remember a few co-workers who briefly toted the older version of the .45 DAO Back-Up in its namesake role. Briefly. Perhaps this new version will be a better product.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The AMT Back Up 45 isn't much larger than the micro R9.

Sorry to disagree, but it is MUCH larger than the R9.

I have a Kahr CM9 as well as a Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth, and the CM9 is only a "little" bigger than the R9, but it makes a world of difference when carrying. I like the CM9 and carry it when I wear bulkier clothing, but the R9 is a jeans and T-shirt front pocket pistol (in an Uncle Mikes' #1) while the CM9 is not.
    The AMT 45 is huge and heavy compared to those two pistols and to me makes no sense unless a person is one of those who will only carry a .45.
    Additionally, the new Houston High Standard company has tried for a very long time to make reliable, well made pistols... but they can't. I want very much to buy a brand new Victor from them, but it and most of the rest of what they make is mostly POS status with very spotty quality control.
    On top of that, you add the fact that MOST people who talk about their AMT Backup 45's start by saying "although it does have some reliability issues...". Pardon me, but for a pistol that is primarily designed for self-defense, I'm thinking to my self that I just might pass on a pistol that routinely has "reliability issues".

The AMT Backup 45 is one pistol that I just don't feel the love for.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    ...The AMT Backup 45 is one pistol that I just don't feel the love for.
    I can certainly relate to that statement,.. but in reference to another pistol.

My Rohrbaugh R9 (Farmingdale) was riddled with FTF and FTE issues from the get-go and it developed a hairline crack on the back end of the Slide, this only after 300 rounds down the pipe. Replacing the recoil spring at the 200 round count, didn't solve anything. The pistol had the type of CQB accuracy that only a child could appreciate and admire.

Needles to say, my Rohrbaugh R9 was an expensive, tiny pile of excrement.

With that being said, I hope your R9 has been as reliable and accurate as my Back Up 45.

VIP Member
    So far all my Rohrbaugh customers love their "pups", and mine has been flawless, too. The R9 trigger has a long smooth stroke and breaks without disturbing the sights in the least. As with any gun, car, machine or electronic purchase, there is always a chance the thing may be a lemon. Customer support is a big factor. In general I prefer to wait awhile before purchasing any gun when it first comes out. The AMT's I've handled and shot in the '80's have all been excellent. IMO Kahr's PM40 has the same potential as the AMT BU45, but with a better trigger. Personally, I like a 45 I can fully grip with the 1911 trigger, like my Ultra. Ultimately, I think confidence in your skill with your EDC choice is most important.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I would like that very much

[QUOTE=Chevy-SS;2023420]Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number, if you'd like to call and chat about this pistol.

Dave

And oh BTW - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I would like that very much. I'm a disabled veteran and had to quit riding the harley after 33yrs. I picked up on my old hobby of
    pistols which keeps me interested in reading etc.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links