AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! - Page 6

AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

This is a discussion on AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased another one of these amt backup 45's. I'm going to give this to my son when he visits me sometime. I lucked ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

I just purchased another one of these amt backup 45's. I'm going to give this to my son when he visits me sometime. I lucked out on Gunbroker and won the bid on an excellent slide for my older model and all the parts that go with this gun minus the frame. The price was less than a hundred bucks. So far I've managed to collect a few of every part for this gun. I now have two of the Amt Backup 380's single action and two of the Backup 45's. When I first picked up the amt 380 I collected quit a collection of every part for the gun. It will probably be the same with the amt backup 45 in time. I always figured when I hand them down due to age someday that there will be enough parts to keep the gun operating for the next to generations as least.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I can certainly relate to that statement,.. but in reference to another pistol.

My Rohrbaugh R9 (Farmingdale) was riddled with FTF and FTE issues from the get-go and it developed a hairline crack on the back end of the Slide, this only after 300 rounds down the pipe. Replacing the recoil spring at the 200 round count, didn't solve anything. The pistol had the type of CQB accuracy that only a child could appreciate and admire.

Needles to say, my Rohrbaugh R9 was an expensive, tiny pile of excrement.

With that being said, I hope your R9 has been as reliable and accurate as my Back Up 45.
    Yes, my R9 has been totally reliable and has become a primary carry piece for me.
    Every manufacturer is going to have a "bad" one get out the door once in a while, and your experiece with your R9 is nothing more than a rare example of one from Rohrbaugh. The company is well known for handling issues and making good on their product.
    But there are also manufactures who put out a rare example of a "good" one, and you seem to have found a "good" Backup 45, so good on you. You are a very lucky guy. ;)

I know of NO pistol that you could possible think of that has not produced an occasional dud once in a while. NONE.
    Name a brand and a model, and SOMEONE will trump in and decry it as a piece of crap. It's the majority of how well their pistols work that counts and how well the company handles complaints that counts even more.

Ex Member
    Wait a minute!!!!!! "Don't like the mag release" and "no sights." The POS Seacamp is the same and idiots STILL love it.

Also the ejector area of the slide has a shorter vertical measurement than the older amt slides. From looking at the three ejectors I have they look to be pretty much the same size. I wonder if they lowered the shaft hole in the frame for some reason that would result in the ejector being mounted lower in the frame than the older models. What effect would that have?
    I'm talking about the amt backup 45

I'll admit that I've never fired an AMT 45 Backup, but did get the chance to play with one at a gun store in Houston years ago. All I could think of is "Why". Question for all of you AMT Lovers drooling on your keyboard.....with no sights and what felt (to me) like about a 30lb trigger pull, just how do you hit what you are shooting? Just seems like a pistol that would be only worthy if it was a last ditch in the face kind of confrontation. There are numerous small .45's that are at least as light as the AMT.....that have actual sights and decent triggers that have exceptional accuracy out to 15+ yards. To each his own, but with the resurrection of the AMT 45 Backup, the only thing that comes to mind is "Why".
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Id put a gold shoty bead on it...if you gave it to me...not buyin

The Amt Backup 45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Additionally, I have always like the fact that it has nothing (no sights or sharp edges) that would snag on clothing. Plus I enjoy the extremely simple user interface - SAO, with a very strong trigger pull and no safety. I noticed some small differences between my original gun and the new ones (based on the pics at High Standard web site).

Anyway, just thought it was fascinating to see this gun resurrected......

Their web site says it's DAO.
    I like the gun, I don't think that some of you realize that this gun was not
    produced for anything more than close up defense. Its a backup to whatever your carrying. I don't need the sights
    at the distance I will more than likely encounter if needed. In such a situation there will not be time to aim but only
    to point and shoot.

Feel exactly the same except it's not a backup for me it is my primary. shoots accurate rapid fire to 25/30 feet. Any farther and you will have a hard time claiming self defense anyway. Love mine and will never part with it have even considered buying a backup for my backup.

I handled one just the other day in .45 and it is a nice firearm but for it's size it is very heavy.

Mine was terrible. It wouldn't even feed ball, and shot about 2 feet low at 15 yards.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Wait a minute!!!!!! "Don't like the mag release" and "no sights." The POS Seacamp is the same and idiots STILL love it.
    I sure love that picture. Its beats any gun I've looked at.

I have had one for about 15 years. Quite a while back I ran into a ""gunsmith"" at a gun show who said he could lighten the trigger pull and make the pistol ultra reliable with hollowpoint bullets. Well that didn't work out so well. Brownells carries springs for this pistol. I replaced the mainspring with an original and put in a wolff recoil spring. The fluff and buff that he did worked if only he had left the mainspring alone. Now it works everytime with whatever ammo I put in it and whover said that a keltec p11 had a lighter trigger pull doesn't know what he is talking about. As for the guttersnipe sights, well colt has come out with that option on a dao pistol. The keltec p11 hurts my booger hook every time I fire that damn thing. The amt doesn't. I shoot the amt quite accurately a 7 yards which is about as far as a concealed carry pistol needs to operate. Any farther than that and you might need an expensive lawyer. That said, my son likes the gun very much and i gave it to him. I have a s&w shield that I carry now on belt and a bg.380 for my pocket. As for a pos, the keltec reminds me of something that should be manufactured in china.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I wouldn't even consider this handgun with the XDs on the market.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I bought one upon moving down to FL in 94, while waiting for my guns to be sent down from nypd. I happen to like the gun, although even though I owned a Gym in Broward, the thing was a rediculous pull to fire. I had a shop in Ft lauderdale do a trigger job on it an they ruined it. I actually shot the thing well. I would look at the new one. My friends couldn't shoot it at all. It was a tough little gun, and nice at the time size wise.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Out of 30+ handguns I've owned, the AMT Backup (in .380) was one of only three true POS guns I've had. Granted, that was a .380, and was about 30 years ago, but it would take a lot of convincing, and a lot of very good reviews, to get me to ever consider another AMT. I'm waiting (drooling) for the CM45!

FWIW,
    Jim
    +1 on the old 380 Backup. Even after two trip to the factory it was still a POS.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links