AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

This is a discussion on AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like the fabled Phoenix, the AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again - brand new - here High Standard Manufacturing Company ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again!

Like the fabled Phoenix, the AMT .45 Backup rises from the ashes - now available again - brand new - here High Standard Manufacturing Company! I bought one of the original AMT .45 Backup's many years ago. It is still my favorite pocket gun, although it is a tad heavy. At the time it was introduced, there was nothing even close to its compact size in .45 ACP.

Additionally, I have always like the fact that it has nothing (no sights or sharp edges) that would snag on clothing. Plus I enjoy the extremely simple user interface - DAO, with a very strong trigger pull and no safety. I noticed some small differences between my original gun and the new ones (based on the pics at High Standard web site).

Anyway, just thought it was fascinating to see this gun resurrected......

PS - my original AMT .45 was a malfunctioning POS until I did a thorough 'fluff and buff'. The cocking lug and slide rails were so rough, the slide was binding like crazy and the gun jammed continually. But the 'fluff and buff' transformed it into a constant performer. It has never jammed since the F&B, as long as I use FMJ ammo.
    Last edited by Chevy-SS; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Changed SAO to DAO
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Not buyin'.................

I have no use for a gun with no sites. I won't even own a bolt gun with no iron sites. Also, besides seeing a use for them practically, it seems like if you pay good money for something the least they can do is put sites on it, kinda makes me feel like they are tryin to cheat ya.

Administrator
    Looking at their photos - it appears to me that they could stand to tighten tighten up their QC a bit. I could see it serving a useful purpose for a compact yet large bore concealed carry pistol. Some of the original/early AMT firearms suffered galling problems but, that had been rectified by using different alloys and hardnesses for the frames and slides.

Note: (just for the record) that while it does not sport traditional sights - it does have a guttersnipe channel centered atop the slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think if I was to go pocket rocket .45. It would be the PM45...but I do have a real softspot for anthing in compact .45ACP

This is a nasty option of big bore "get off me" gun!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ......Note: (just for the record) that while it does not sport traditional sights - it does have a guttersnipe channel centered atop the slide.
    Yes, this functions as a sight. Mine is colored in red paint (from the factory). It's barely OK in daylight, but completely useless in dark. But let's face reality, this is a last-chance gun, meant for face-to-face struggle.......

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Additionally, I have always like the fact that it has nothing (no sights or sharp edges) that would snag on clothing. Plus I enjoy the extremely simple user interface - SAO, with a very strong trigger pull and no safety. I noticed some small differences between my original gun and the new ones (based on the pics at High Standard web site).

Anyway, just thought it was fascinating to see this gun resurrected......

Their web site says it's DAO.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

not a fan of the mag release
    CIBMike likes this.

los
    The AMT Back Up pistol was specifically developed as a CQB weapon. It's design and diminutive size makes it a formidable 45acp deep concealment weapon. It's definitely not a target range gun, so traditional iron sights would be pretty much useless with this platform.

That being said, the Back-Up 45 excels as a carry weapon when the operator becomes proficient with Point Shooting technique.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    I researched this gun to death a little over a year ago. I did everything I could to talk myself into it. However, I ended up going with an officer's 3" barrel 1911. No regrets.

I'd still love to shoot one sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    not a fan of the mag release
    True that, but I don't think this gun is intended in any way for sustained fiire fight via multiple mags. Like it says on the gun itself, "back up"...strictly that.

It IS NOT intended or even designed for primary carry.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have one in 9mm. I've heard that their quality control was spotty. If you got a good one it was fine if not well you know. My 9mm has run great right out of the box. It is a close quarters pistol and the gutter sights work well. I have been very pleased with mine.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post

Their web site says it's DAO.

Yes, you are correct. I was typing too fast. It is DAO.

I understand it's design and purpose. Point shooting is a recommended technique to which I have subscribed, used, and advocated for years. But a gun with no sites are restricted to the point of wothlessness for anything other than" get off me" scenarios. Why buy something with such a limited application? With sites it Gould be used for 10-20 yards or better. But the way it is, heavy, limited capacity, it just seems like there are so many other candidates out there better suited for the roll. Oh well, that's just my opinion.

Out of 30+ handguns I've owned, the AMT Backup (in .380) was one of only three true POS guns I've had. Granted, that was a .380, and was about 30 years ago, but it would take a lot of convincing, and a lot of very good reviews, to get me to ever consider another AMT. I'm waiting (drooling) for the CM45!

FWIW,
    Jim

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links