G26 at the range

G26 at the range

This is a discussion on G26 at the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot my G26 at the range yesterday. This is the second time ive shot this gun and was wondering about my results. At 25 yards ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: G26 at the range

G26 at the range

Shot my G26 at the range yesterday. This is the second time ive shot this gun and was wondering about my results. At 25 yards i was able to keep it inside 12 inches but a little low. Is this good, bad. New to target shooting and need some referance.

Well I'll attempt an answer. Your groups at 25 yards are hard to judge. What would you compare them too. What might be good for me might be bad for you and vis versa. I can tell you that the mechanical accuracy of the typical g26 is about 3-4 inches at that distance. But it sounds like you are doing well for a beginner with that gun.

I would suggest that you start shooting at 10 yards until you have a 1 ragged hole group and work back.

First , the G26 is not a target gun ,its for defense so 12 inchs puts you at center mass @ 25 yards, thats good for me
    This is my G26 @ 15 yards just because you ask for a reference.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    Concur w/Glockman. BTW I'd say that's a good group - at 75 feet. I honestly can't shoot that much better, but we can still tighten up that group a bit.

I don't believe in settling for 'good enough to kill'. Target shooting is under no stress and near-perfect circumstance. I'm still striving toward near mechanical accuracy under those conditions.

Tell the truth, it was your cat that did the shooting, ASSA9.

The cat looks impressed. Thanks for the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Tell the truth, it was your cat that did the shooting, ASSA9.
    Yes he did,happy now?
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I am taking my ccw class on Sat. and to qualify I need 11 out of 20 inside target at 7 yards. I feel confident that wont have a problem but i am interested in recreational shooting as well.

While the G26 is very capable at that distance, it really was not designed for that distance......JMHO

That being said, it sounds like you did quite well for only the second time out!
    Shooting low could easily be attributed to "anticipating" the shot.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I know that at 25 yards I would think twice about taking a shot in a defensive senario, I just would like the ability to do so. Like I said im new to pistol shooting and have a long way to go. I have read that i should focus on front sight only and let rear sight and target be somewhat of a blurr. This doesnt make sense to me. Any thoughts?

Total concentration on the front site is paramount to good shooting. Let me explain; if you try to concentrate on all three, there is a point somewhere between the subconcious train of thought, and the trigger break, where the front site can drift unnoticed, especially if the front site is black against a dark background. That drift, can throw you off 3 inches at 7 yards or 21 inches at 21 yards. And it's magnified more as the distance increases.
    By total concentration on the front site alone, you are minimizing this effect.

This alone is important, but to achieve real ability, the trigger must be mastered. This is done by a slow steady squeeze, while you maintain site picture and alignment. The trigger breaking, or discharge of the firearm should be a complete suprise if you are doing it correctly.

These are fundementals that absolutely must be mastered. Do not attempt rapid fire. Crawl before you walk, and build up to more rapid fire as you master the fundementals.

This is certain, if you do not master the fundementals, your groups will always look like a shotgun pattern at even close distance, and sooner or later if you want to be better, you will have to revisit the fundementals.
    RomeoZulu likes this.

Lol.

I agree with Glockman, start shooting at 7-10 yards, eventually you can back up the distance. He also brought up some good points on sights and trigger control. 25 yards, I cant even see that far, old age is a terrible thing.

Im thinking of putting night sights on. Will this also help during the day. Like i said, im a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    Im thinking of putting night sights on. Will this also help during the day. Like i said, im a newbie.
    keep it simple. The basics of using sites are the same regardless of type. Do not be one of these people who throw money at things attempting to shortcut the work involved in proper technique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links