LCR feel of Hogue Tamer vs LG-411

This is a discussion on LCR feel of Hogue Tamer vs LG-411 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a question regarding two of the grip options for the LCR. I am looking at purchasing one for the wife for CCW. ...

Hi, I have a question regarding two of the grip options for the LCR. I am looking at purchasing one for the wife for CCW. My question is not related to the laser itself, but rather the "feel" of each grip. From what I read, the HT's do a better job of dampening recoil than do the LG's. For those of you that have shot with both grips, is the difference in recoil substantial?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I personally like the feel of the HT. Fits my hand like a glove. Is the LG-411 the boot grip?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I personally like the feel of the HT. Fits my hand like a glove. Is the LG-411 the boot grip?
    I have read only good things about the HT. It sounds like a great grip. The LG-411 is the Crimson Trace laser grip. From what I've read about the LG, it does not absorb recoil as well as the HT.

Another fan of the tamer, but I have not even held the LCR with the laser grip.

I have both grips for my LCR, I found no notisable differance between them. I don't shoot +p (the gain is not worth it) But shoot 125 gr at a mid load. Shooting for more than about 30 to 50 rounds at a time, you feel it. There are times that I come of the range with a spot on my thumb just at the web that the skin has rubbed off. I like the CT as a point and shoot aid.

As always it is a personal choice.

The difference is substantial. My girlfriend has an LCR, and she just flat couldn't shoot it with the CT on it. The Hogue Tamer makes a huge difference.

The lasergrip is made of hard plastic. Inside the grip on the back there is a softer plastic that does help absorb some of the shock, but the Hogue grip is called 'tamer' for a reason. It's downright squishy on the back. I can shoot it with the lasergrip on it, but my hand is a bit sore after a couple boxes. The girlfriend can't shoot three rounds before she has to put it down (she has tendinitis in that hand) with the lasergrip, but can shoot a box or two with the hogue grips.

Of course, if you've got a tough hand, then it won't matter. My dad is a bricklayer, and can shoot it all day with the laser, and it doesn't phase him a bit. As usual, YMMV
    Last edited by livewire; March 5th, 2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: premature return key

Thanks for the responses guys. She was able to shoot a 642 with Crimson Trace grips at a local range. It was not the most comfortable gun she has shot, but she was able to get through a box. The 642 is about 2 ounces heavier than the LCR'38. I'm thinking about getting her the LCR in 357 and adding the CT's. That would give her about 4 more ounces to soak up recoil over the 38. I guess if that is too uncomfortable for her still, I'll just have to keep the 357 for myself, and find her something else.

I have the LCR 357. The Tamer grip makes shooting 357 painless. If you shoot standard 38spl. it feels like a 22LR. I would think anyone with recoil issues should buy the 357 LCR. Practice with standard 38spl 125G or lighter. For self defense load the standard not +P Critical Defense 38 round.

Quote Originally Posted by playingD View Post
    I guess if that is too uncomfortable for her still, I'll just have to keep the 357 for myself, and find her something else.
    You sure you don't just want a new revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    If you shoot standard 38spl. it feels like a 22LR.
    Ya know. . . somehow I question this. . .

Question all you want. Go rent one and try it.

Question all you want. Go rent one and try it.
    Own one. . . well, the .38, with Hogue Tamers. A lot more comfortable to shoot with the Tamers than with the CT, to be sure. But even if you added 16 ounces to it, I would never confuse it with a .22LR.

The 357 is 17oz. After I had shot 100 or more rounds rapid fire reload and fire again as fast as I could I reloaded by mistake with 38spl. To me it felt like I was shooting a 22. Thinking back I must admit, I have not shot a 22 in over 10 years. I never liked 22 cal. handguns and got hooked on 357 Snubs.

The 357 is 17oz. After I had shot 100 or more rounds rapid fire reload and fire again as fast as I could I reloaded by mistake with 38spl. To me it felt like I was shooting a 22. Thinking back I must admit, I have not shot a 22 in over 10 years. I never liked 22 cal. handguns and got hooked on 357 Snubs.
    Try the same trick without shooting 100 rounds of .357 first

Links