BHP carry piece grows up

This is a discussion on BHP carry piece grows up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've owned a classic 1976 Browning HiPower since about 1993. I've put thousands of FMJ rounds through it over the years and it has been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BHP carry piece grows up

BHP carry piece grows up

I've owned a classic 1976 Browning HiPower since about 1993. I've put thousands of FMJ rounds through it over the years and it has been an excellent performer. I applied for (and received) my carry permit almost five years ago but did not start carrying until the last year or so.

Recently, I had a gunsmith install some Trijicon night sights (to replace the old adjustable sights), polish the feed ramp, and replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5 for less impact on shooting +p ammunition. (Thanks for all the good articles, Mr Stephen Camp!)

I've been shooting several different ammunitions through it now to see what it likes and have started getting lots of FTF and FTE with the typical FMJ 115 UMC rounds. I'm not complaining or looking for advice on this. This makes sense to me.

Heck my old cheap ammunition won't even enage the slide lock with this new stiffer spring. I have noticed that a firmer grip allows more recoil energy to work the slide and my failures are fewer. I guess I was sort of limp-wristing it but never knew because the BHP always ate everything without complaint.

However, now it feeds HydraShoks, PowrBalls, Golden Sabers, Corbons like a dream. It's a much more capable weapon with defensive rounds and I can always switch springs if i want to shoot up my leftover practice ammo.

Sorry for the ramble but I just wanted to share.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've got a 1968 T series BHP. It eats almost everything. Sounds like you have a very nice pistol. Is it your every day carry gun?

Yes, this is my normal carry gun. Cocked and locked but next I need to get the hammer changed to a commander-style for a tad more comfort.

I was carrying HydraShoks exclusively before the work was done but after my ammo testing yesterday it seems to like the +p Golden Sabers as far as accuracy goes. :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir and thank you for the kind words.

My HP's work fine with all standard pressure 115 and 124-gr. loads I've tried when using the 18.5-lb spring, but I suppose I have an extremely firm grip. I am pleased to hear that your pistol is performing for you. As you note, range sessions with range loads can always be accomodated with the standard power spring.

Best and good shooting.

I wish I'd have hung onto the .40 one that I had converted to .357 Sig.

I have a 1966 Browning Hi-Power and it has always been 100% reliable. I do not dare change anything for fear for messing it up.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have eight or maybe ten, Browning HPs, I don't remember. From a gun produced in 1942 by Germans in Beligum to a new MkIII. If I could have but one Semi Auto Center Fire it would be a Browning High Power T Series.

Jungle Work

I would love to shoot a BHP. Prefer an older model. Just Mr. Camps book that refers to Ben Tauber, just gets me salivating about shooting one.

All you folks that own several of them. Is there any major differences in workmanship from the new BHP's vs. the ones that are twenty years old ? How about the FEG HP's ? How do they measure up ?

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Are HiPower's still considered quality guns? I might consider picking a new model up after all of the good stuff I've heard about them lately.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    ElMono,
    Depends on who made it and when it was made.
    Some of the older war time HPs are reputed to have softer metal, as are some of the FMs. I've never found one made by FN that has a problem. I also like the older FMs as they are exact Browning HP copies.

Jungle Work

I own several HPs, currently been carrying an FN HP, but did find it chokes badly on Indpendance brans ammo. Although the other HP's shoot it well

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    ElMono,
    Depends on who made it and when it was made.
    Some of the older war time HPs are reputed to have softer metal, as are some of the FMs. I've never found one made by FN that has a problem. I also like the older FMs as they are exact Browning HP copies.

Jungle Work
    Good to know. Thanks.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not a dammed thing wrong with a HP , I love them , and in fact re worked one for my wife for a duty gun when she was LE . Thats another one the " wench " got away with , She has a bad habit of " surfing " my firearms and picking the ones she wants , then its all over . I really dont mind it ... but damm she could pick a cheap one once in a while lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I wish I had your troubles, RR. My wife has never shot anything more powerful that a BB gun. She's not quite an anti but she's not thrilled with my "gun habit", either. :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    tell me again how you wish for it after she gobbels up you detonics , citori , pre 64 mod 70 , ect lol ... there has to be a happy medieum here other than me saying NO you cant have it ... but damm so far i put out like the local prom queen lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links