It is possible for a Glock to malfunction - Page 2

It is possible for a Glock to malfunction

This is a discussion on It is possible for a Glock to malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter It is possible for a Glock to malfunction? No. <~~~ Sorry QK have to disagree with you. A Glock is a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It is possible for a Glock to malfunction

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It is possible for a Glock to malfunction?

No. <~~~
    Sorry QK have to disagree with you. A Glock is a man made tool, there is always the possibility of it malfunctioning, just like any other tool. While they may be 99% reliable, there is always that 1% .
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    seems i am lucky so far, i have yet to have a firearm malfunction severly on me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry QK have to disagree with you. A Glock is a man made tool, there is always the possibility of it malfunctioning, just like any other tool. While they may be 99% reliable, there is always that 1% .
    I think he was being sarcastic, hence the smiley...

The ONLY malfunctions I have ever had with either my G19 or G26 in many thousands of rounds have been magazine (follower) related. Back during the AWB era, using 10 round mags in my G19, I had a few feed failures with Winchester WinClean ammo, which is a truncated cone FMJ. I called Glock, and they were aware of the issue. Got a few redesigned mag followers in the mail for free, and no issues since.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It is possible for a Glock to malfunction
    Heck YA ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

A Glock is a mechanical device...a machine, it is prone to failure, at some point. I EDC a G23, the 40s are known to have more problems for some reason over the history of Glock. I have had almost 10000 rounds though mine in 11 years of ownership, it has ran clean and dirty, sometimes without being cleaned for months. I have had NO malfunctions whatsoever.

The above OP scenario most likely was a Mag malfunction. It is well known that the majority of autoloader malfs are mag related. It is the weak link of ANY auto platform. I also carry a Sig Sauer P228, and have had no malfunctions from it, but shoot it a lot less.

Glocks just have a track record of working a lot MORE, and breaking a lot LESS. Thats why it is always such a big "to do" on this forum when one does "break". You rarely see Glock people bashing Sig, Ruger, Smith, Kahr, 1911, etc. You do however see the those owners climb on the pile when something happens to a Glock.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a reload recipie I use for training my nieces, nephews, and kids to deal with malfunctions. It will stove pipe, jam, our try to double feed about every 3rd or 4th round. Most recently I loaded up 200 of them for my niece to shoot. Told her how to clear the malfunctions, showed her, then left her to deal with it for the rest of the 200 rounds. By the end of it she could clear malfunctions almost with outlooking.

A great training tool.

I have 8 Glock factory magazines for my G19 and 2 for my 26 (OK, I have 10 for my 26 but that counts the 19 mags ), they have all been tested, none have malfunctioned with a normal practice re-load or any factory load.

But it can happen. test'em!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    If it is made by man it will fail at some time. Glocks are fallible because man is fallible. Eventually, at some point, everything breaks.

Now with that said, you had a mag problem.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Of course they can, you saw it twice.

In reality, the Glock, like the M&P and several other modern firearms, are extremely reliable. It still can happen. ANYTHING made by a human, or made by anything that was made by a human, can malfunction.

Now that the issue of Glock malfunctions have been broached, I have a problem that someone here might be able to solve...I am having the same problem with a 23 and a 27. The trigger rests but I get a light strike. I half reset the slide and always fires the second time on same cartridge. Several different manufacturers of ammo have been tried. This has also happened on my 29 once or twice??????????

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

OK thanks for all the replies, and here is a little more info. Unfortunately since this was my first ever shooting competetion I was most likely suffering from stress. I cannot remember if there was a spent casing in the chamber, and the failed to feed round was resting against it, or if it was just sticking half out of the mag. I guess that proves that stress causes loss of memory.
    As far as the manufacturer of the mag, it was a factory Glock mag. The owner had it rebuilt after these failures by the factory Glock guy that was there. The owner told me he was glad I found the failure because his G27 is his carry piece. (He was shooting a full size 9mm for the shoot.)
    The ammo was from a UMC mega pack 180 grain FMJ. This was probably the last 50 out of that box. There of course is the possibility that I was thumbing the slide lock, but as I recall the mag had to be dropped to get the jam fixed. I actually let the range officer clear it the first time for me.

I am going to shoot a hundred rounds thru using all the mags I now have just to re-verify the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Now that the issue of Glock malfunctions have been broached, I have a problem that someone here might be able to solve...I am having the same problem with a 23 and a 27. The trigger rests but I get a light strike. I half reset the slide and always fires the second time on same cartridge. Several different manufacturers of ammo have been tried. This has also happened on my 29 once or twice??????????

12 Gauge
    When you clean your Glocks, do you lay the slide down on your table, upside down, and allow oil/cleaning solvent to get into the little hole near the breach face? If so, you probably have oil and gunk inside the striker channel, which can slow the striker's velocity to the point that you get light strikes.

Detail strip the slide, and clean that channel out. Do not allow any lube or cleaning solution into that channel. Hold your slide in a vertical position when you clean it, breach face down, to keep liquids out of there. If you don't know how to detail strip your Glock, search YouTube or take your gun to a competent Glock armorer. If you go to a GSSF match, they will have an armorer who will check your Glock out for free.

The joke out there is that Glocks will run just fine full of mud and dirt - but if you over-lube them, they will malfunction. Go figure. With Glocks, less lube and less cleaning solution is "more better." I use TW-25B grease for lube, and Gunzilla for cleaning (sparingly!!!) and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    My G19 would fail to feed some hollow point ammo, mostly Gold Dot 124 gr rounds. The nose of the bullet would jam into the feed ramp and not slide into the chamber.
    Gold dots give me problems in a lot of my guns I noticed the rounds are a bit shorter than other brands of hollow points in length.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    When you clean your Glocks, do you lay the slide down on your table, upside down, and allow oil/cleaning solvent to get into the little hole near the breach face? If so, you probably have oil and gunk inside the striker channel, which can slow the striker's velocity to the point that you get light strikes.

Detail strip the slide, and clean that channel out. Do not allow any lube or cleaning solution into that channel. Hold your slide in a vertical position when you clean it, breach face down, to keep liquids out of there. If you don't know how to detail strip your Glock, search YouTube or take your gun to a competent Glock armorer. If you go to a GSSF match, they will have an armorer who will check your Glock out for free.

The joke out there is that Glocks will run just fine full of mud and dirt - but if you over-lube them, they will malfunction. Go figure. With Glocks, less lube and less cleaning solution is "more better." I use TW-25B grease for lube, and Gunzilla for cleaning (sparingly!!!) and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
    I know your not supposed to over lube a Glock. I use gunzilla to clean and oil sparingly. I do not put any oil on the slide, anywhere with the exception of taking a drop of oil on a cleaning patch and wiping the holes the barrel and the recoil spring guide run thru.
    The gun is new, only about 300 to 400 rounds thru it so I doubt there is much gunk built up inside the slide passages.

So are we all suppose to talk about the weapons. I know pretty less about it. Could anyone please tell me about the details.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    So are we all suppose to talk about the weapons. I know pretty less about it. Could anyone please tell me about the details.
    Your post is so extremely vague and superficial in its nature, that it is basically impossible to know what you may possibly be referring to here.

Try to be more specific, and people could then respond to your posts in a meaningful way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links