It is possible for a Glock to malfunction

This is a discussion on It is possible for a Glock to malfunction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saturday the local gun store was hosting "Glock Days". They were going to have everything for Glock's 10 percent off. Since I was wanting to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It is possible for a Glock to malfunction

It is possible for a Glock to malfunction

Saturday the local gun store was hosting "Glock Days". They were going to have everything for Glock's 10 percent off. Since I was wanting to get a spare higher capacity mag for my G27 I decided to go. This store is known to be quite busy on Saturdays anyways since they are the only indoor range in town.
    I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there were already a lot of people there. I went in and was directed to the rear of the store where they were signing up to shoot a fun match.
    OK, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I stood in line. When I got to the front I told the nice lady I didn't have a clue as to what this was all about. She gave me the paper to fill out and I paid her some money. (Apparently I am now a member of GSSF) A few minutes later they are calling my name to shoot. A group of four of us go in to the range. The range master begins explaining the course of fire, only 5 rounds per magazine, the third set requires a reload and 5 more rounds. This is when I realize that I only brought my gun and one magazine with me. I raise my hand and explain that I'm new at this and only had one mag with me.

Luckily a nice guy offers to loan me a second mag. He marks the bottom of the mag and we load up. When we get to the string requiring the reload I make the reload and but after the third shot on the second mag the gun fails to feed.

Not knowing what the rules are I just set the gun down. When everyone is done shooting, I get the range masters attention and explain the situation. We clear the jam and he says I have 2 second to fire the last two rounds. I finish.

The next string that we have to shoot that requires a reload the gun jams exactly like before. Round not chambered and one still in the mag. Both times it was the borrowed mag. Of course the range master is now giving the guy that loaned me the mag a hard time, teasing him that he is sabotaging me.

I borrow a different mag and finish out the course.

All in all it was fun. Later talking to the guy that loaned me the mag he said he had the factory Glock Armorer that was there rebuild the troublesome mag. He was great full that he found out about the bad mag at a fun match and not a SD situation.

I am now figuring that I need to run the new mag and the used mag I picked up Saturday after the match through a few hundred rounds just to make sure it wasn't my gun causing the problem.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Magazines are the weakest part of an auto-loader. Always be certain of their function. Alway have a couple of spares handy.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Sounds to me like his mag (that you borrowed) was still faulty. I would recommend doing just what you said, run a hundred rounds or so through your mags to make sure they are not causing you any problems and that your gun itself is not having a problem. Also consider the possibility of an ammo problem.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Mag or ammo problem, not a Glock problem IMHO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mag or ammo problem, not a Glock problem IMHO.
    Who makes the mags?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    It is possible for a Glock to malfunction?

No. <~~~

RKM
    Glock's can malfunction, just as any other auto loader. If it was a factory Glock mag, it's still part of the firearm as a whole. Still, Glock would be to blame for a malfunctioning weapon.

All of my Glock malfunction were created by myself, and one under powered round. I had a bunch of failures to lock back one day. I was holding my thumb on the slide release >:( Got that sorted out quickly though :)

I have a 17 that will or at least it has on several occasions when I could not figure out why, it just did.

I've personally experienced two (2 - count 'em - 2!) Glock malfunctions. Totally destroyed the platform in my estimation. If they don't even have reliability, then what do they have? Looks? Nope. Ergonomics? Nope. Intimidation value? Nope. They failed.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Administrator
    "I am now figuring that I need to run the new mag and the used mag I picked up Saturday after the match through a few hundred rounds just to make sure it wasn't my gun causing the problem."

Really it came across to me as being completely a faulty magazine issue.
    If it's your daily carry gun then (naturally) you need to have 100% confidence in it but, 99+% of the time if there are no problems when hand-cycling/chambering rounds from a new magazine (especially the top round of a fully stoked mag) then it's not going to be a problematic magazine in actual use.

At least that has been my experience with semi-automatic handguns.

As most will agree, anything that is mechanical has the potential to malfunction. Some of the guns we have come to love, including the glock, have minimized the chance of mechanical error to the most extreme levels. Myself, and probably the vast majority, will agree that it was the magazine, and not the glock.

Mag problem, not the pistol....
    Generation 4 Glock 23
    Son, if you want something in this life you have to work for it,
    now quiet! there about to announce the lottery numbers........ Homar Simpson

A Glock, like any other machine, can malfunction. Most semi auto malfunctions are magazine related, but not all.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Had my share of problems with Glocks here too. Disappointing, since they have such a reputation. Same with Kahr. They just don't like me. Even experienced some failures with my SIG P226. Like others said, mechanical. So far my M&P has been flawless. I hope it stays that way.

My G19 would fail to feed some hollow point ammo, mostly Gold Dot 124 gr rounds. The nose of the bullet would jam into the feed ramp and not slide into the chamber. It happened mostly when feeding the first round into the chamber from a new mag and sometimes at random in the middle of a mag. Same result with four different factory Glock mags. I got out my handy dremel tool and polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish. Only have about 100 rounds through it since the polish job, but so far so good. I won't use it for carry until I have another 2-300 failure free rounds through it though.

Maybe that's why I am starting to like my Ruger SP101 more and more.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links