A Few of the things I Like - Page 2

A Few of the things I Like

This is a discussion on A Few of the things I Like within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray ... repackaged systems that are designed primarily for inexpensive manufacture and are produced in more different kinds of non-traditional materials. They ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Few of the things I Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ... repackaged systems that are designed primarily for inexpensive manufacture and are produced in more different kinds of non-traditional materials. They all still shoot metallic cartridges and are functionally no better than earlier repeating designs that use the same metallic cartridges.
    Well, I understand your attitude, but you are greatly mistaken in some regards. HK pistols, for the best example, are NOT "repackaged systems"... and are leagues more reliable and durable than any 1911 ever built. Lots of folks are in denial over this... but it ain't a river in Egypt.

"HK pistols... are leagues more reliable and durable than any 1911 ever built."

Saying it's so doesn't make it so.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Ruger SP101, LCR, Glock, Springfield XDsc, and Kahr are all great. Never owned a 1911, nothing against them.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

"HK pistols... are leagues more reliable and durable than any 1911 ever built."

Saying it's so doesn't make it so.
    Like I said... lots of denial...

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Dang, I got everything on you list but the Glock, those plastic guns will never catch on!

BTW, how old do you have to be to be OL'Sckool?
    NOT an age so much as a state of mind..BTW,Ill be 48 in May. Senior coffee at McDonalds coming soon!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

Then I am too. For the word reliable to mean anything, it must be defined. Put a ninja sword in the hands of an Apache warrior, and he may want the tomahawk back, or his bow and arrows. Likewise, give the Ninja a tomahawk, and he may have issues. The older I get, and the more experience I have under my belt, the more I see how totally ignorant are the arguements made on this subject.

OD*

Wanting proof of a statement is not being in denial.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
    ~Carl Sagan
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

GM
    Well, I understand your attitude, but you are greatly mistaken in some regards. HK pistols, for the best example, are NOT "repackaged systems"... and are leagues more reliable and durable than any 1911 ever built. Lots of folks are in denial over this... but it ain't a river in Egypt.

Please post the information source; a valid and credible one.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have been saying for some time that I love the feel of steel. All I have at this time is steel. I must admit though, I have handled a Ruger .380 and I am tempted to try one. However, still have not brought myself to do it yet............Maybe next time........
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Sigh.

The information source is 20+ years of actively teaching firearms, conducting and participating in training/qualifications, going to various matches, and shooting everything I could get my hands on. For one example, just go to any big USPSA match, and see how many 1911s choke compared to "name" plastic pistols.

Hey, I'm a traditionalist too, in some regards. I understand the nostalgia angle, the "feel" of steel and walnut, etc., etc. But I also know what I have seen.

You want a valid, credible source? Okay... check out the 50,000 round test Todd Louis Green (Pistol Training.com) did with an HK45. Google it; or not. Basically, it had like one or two malfs TOTAL, and no parts breakage IIRC.

Do you honestly believe a 1911 would do that UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS? I.e., very infrequent cleaning, etc. I don't think so, Tim.

Sorry to have twisted ya'll's knickers...

GM
    Sigh.

The information source is 20+ years of actively teaching firearms, conducting and participating in training/qualifications, going to various matches, and shooting everything I could get my hands on. For one example, just go to any big USPSA match, and see how many 1911s choke compared to "name" plastic pistols.

Hey, I'm a traditionalist too, in some regards. I understand the nostalgia angle, the "feel" of steel and walnut, etc., etc. But I also know what I have seen.

You want a valid, credible source? Okay... check out the 50,000 round test Todd Louis Green (Pistol Training.com) did with an HK45. Google it; or not. Basically, it had like one or two malfs TOTAL, and no parts breakage IIRC.

Do you honestly believe a 1911 would do that UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS? I.e., very infrequent cleaning, etc. I don't think so, Tim.

Sorry to have twisted ya'll's knickers...

Of course, if you and Todd Louis Green say it then it must be true . Furthermore, all info you find on the Internet is very reliable.

Distinguished Member
    How about adding a lever action 30-30 in the closet and the shotgun under the bed. What's your shotgun choice?

I don't like anything you like.

I don't like anything you like.

You've made many poor choices. There are many fine firearms that are outside the weird list you posted. So what we can say is that you have told us what purchases you've made.

And that's normal. People buy guns, and after laying out that much money they get committed to them and emotionally attached and then they try to convince everybody else that these were good decisions.

Except maybe they aren't.

What I'm learning is that what works for you is what works for you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

"Sigh. The information source is 20+ years of actively teaching firearms, conducting and participating in training/qualifications, going to various matches, and shooting everything I could get my hands on."

Incredibly enough, there are folks right here on the Forum who have been doing all that stuff even longer than 20+ years. More than one of them are likely even posting in this thread.

"I don't like anything you like."

So...what do you like?

"You've made many poor choices."

Since you waded off into the deep end perhaps you would explain why the choices are poor and the list is weird.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

GM
    "Sigh. The information source is 20+ years of actively teaching firearms, conducting and participating in training/qualifications, going to various matches, and shooting everything I could get my hands on."

Incredibly enough, there are folks right here on the Forum who have been doing all that stuff even longer than 20+ years. More than one of them are likely even posting in this thread.

"I don't like anything you like."

So...what do you like?

"You've made many poor choices."

Since you waded off into the deep end perhaps you would explain why the choices are poor and the list is weird.
    I would like to know it too. I think the list the OP posted is pretty good. I only disagree with it when he says that the Glock if the best platform for the 9mm; I prefer the BHP, but that is just a personal choice.

shockwave: for your information, I do own a 9mm Glock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links