A Few of the things I Like

This is a discussion on A Few of the things I Like within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, living in an era of micro-autos,polymer revolvers and other cutting edge handguns I felt I should list some of my favorite weapons and see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Few of the things I Like

A Few of the things I Like

Well, living in an era of micro-autos,polymer revolvers and other cutting edge handguns I felt I should list some of my favorite weapons and see if the Ol' Sckool guys(and gals)agree. Here goes:
    *Colt 1911's all sizes in 45 ACP ONLY
    *K Frame Smiths 38/357, but really like the 38Spl's best
    *Ruger Single Actions
    *Snubbies....2, S&W 640 and Ruger SP101.
    *Glocks in 9mm, IMHO the best platform for that caliber...period

I do like Browning Hi-Powers,but stick to Glocks to cover my 9mm needs. Not fond of Beretta 92's even though I shot the M9 very well in the service. Don't trust the reliability of micro-autos. Not a fan of 25 and 380 caliber....take 22LR if
    I had to go that small as a carry weapon. No scandium and titanium 13oz revolvers ,although the polymer LCR looks interesting to me. Stick to steel !
    Just voicing my opinions on a quiet Sunday night and NOT looking to offend. Interested to see how many on DC think like me.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

good stuff there old grunt.....

me personally, i LOVE the Beretta 92.....and i get so sick of seeing people bash them..."its too big", "the grip sucks", "the trigger spring breaks", "the locking block breaks"....yada yada yada ya'......

i love the damn thing so much,,,,,i got TWO of them :)

I love Glock 9mms - specially the Glock 19!
    I really like snubbies, great BUGs and guns for those occassions when "you are not carrying a gun". I specially like my Ruger LCR (but also like S&W J frames - all of them, and I like Colt Det Specials, Agents, or Cobras too.)
    I also really like the Glock 37 .45 GAP, if I was to ever carry a duty gun again, this would be my first choice if given the choice to carry any gun.

I like Browning Hi-Powers, SIG P239 9mm & P220 in .45 ACP, Colt ARs, and probably some other guns too
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I likem all! But I can only bring myself to shoot the 45acp from a 1911 platform.
    flagflyfish likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I like all older Smith and Wesson steel revolvers, All Ruger steel revolvers, 1911's also in 45 acp only, and Springfield XDM's the best, anything else is still nice but those are my favorites
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Hi OldGrunt;

I'm probably even more ossified in my tastes than you are. I have only dabbled a toe in the water of the trendy lightweight, shrunken firearms through the acquisition of a S&W Model 642 and a Kel Tec P3AT. I don't much care for the Model 642 (though my wife likes it) and the P3AT is really a pretty wretched excuse for a self defense pistol. I like more size and more weight.

I remember when 1911 type guns all said Colt on their slides if they were commercial models or else they were U.S. military contract models. They all worked every time too and with no fiddling about. While the avant-garde may have been begun to fool with their 1911s back then, the fad hadn't trickled down to the great unwashed and the guns ran fine. I still really like to shoot unadulterated 1911s that are configured like our military models and admire those most.

High-Powers are the finest way to do 9mm in my view and I'm not much interested in any newer 9mm handgun for any purpose, be it serious or fun. Old 9mm war relic Lugers and P-38s are lots of fun but not really to be taken seriously.

The Colt Woodsman .22 automatic pistol is tops for rimfire shooting fun. Life just wouldn't be complete without .22. Other neato .22 pistols are old High Standards, the Smith & Wesson Model 41, the Browning Buckmark models and the older Ruger Mark I.

Love N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers when big holes need to be poked into something and can see a use for steel J-Frame .38s as well as J-Frame .22 models. The K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver is my very favorite revolver design of all whether center fire or in rim fire configurations, both with fixed sights or with adjustable sights. It answers a number of my handgun needs: target, plinking, hunting, self defense. I also like older Colt revolvers featuring their classic V-Spring action. Pythons are probably the most well-known examples of this time-honored design but Colt used to build their double action revolvers of all sizes and models to the same basic internal design.

I have a brother-in-law among other shooting friends and acquaintances who keeps up with trends and acquires examples of all the latest and greatest. I get to sample the newer products. I like forged steel and walnut best. I can easily live out my life without feeling the need for cast steel, MIM parts, aluminum alloys, various "unobtainium" kinds of alloys, or polymer (otherwise known as plastic). I'm not tempted by repackaged systems that are designed primarily for inexpensive manufacture and are produced in more different kinds of non-traditional materials. They all still shoot metallic cartridges and are functionally no better than earlier repeating designs that use the same metallic cartridges. Now if they'll introduce viable ray guns then I'll be interested.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Dang, I got everything on you list but the Glock, those plastic guns will never catch on!

BTW, how old do you have to be to be OL'Sckool?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I knew you would be here bmcgilvray! I have been playing with the idea of adding a Colt 1911 to my stable. It seems there were never any issues with them until competitive shooters began to tighten and tweak them for competition. I believe if I do get another, I will pick one that rattles like hell when it's shook, and feed it hardball ammo, like God and John Moses designed em.

As far ass blue steel and wood revolvers, well, you just can't get anybetter.
    But, I'm not getting rid of my Glocks.

Hey Glockman10mm;

Somehow I knew you'd chime in here too.

The really cool thing about Glocks is that they are affordable, a benefit of the design and its manufacturing process. Its reputation for reliability is a great bonus. Lots of shooters have joined the ranks by embracing Glocks and similar models from other manufacturers.

"It seems there were never any issues with them until competitive shooters began to tighten and tweak them for competition."

Both my World War I Colt and World War II Remington Rand will eat anything fed them with perfect reliability. They're pretty loose and rattly though. Still, they will give very acceptable accuracy, even out to 25 yards. The Colt Gold Cup...not so much. It may go hundreds or rounds over several trips to the range and with religious cleanings afterward but it will occasionally have the odd stutter. Let it get grimy and it can get balky. It's gloriously accurate though and gratifying for range use.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good list!

By coincidence I have everything on your list and agree with your choices. The only things I would personally add would be Sigs (P-series) and S&W revolvers in other than K frame, such as J, L and N frame models.

And you shouldn't restrict the Colt 1911s to .45 caliber, since that platform also works well with 10mm, 38 Super and 9mm. Here is one of my favorite Colt 1911s:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Cool

P18163004.jpgP19170917.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpgP04100419.jpg

DB .380 S&W 638 Ruger SP-101 P-35 G-23

When I had Colt 1911's they were always in .45 ACP . Now my .45 ACP is a Glock 36. If I could only have one carry gun it would be the Hi-Power. I have a G-19 and a G-36 but my go to is the G-23. I like wood and steel but the only one that fits that description for me today is the Hi-Power. My S&W and Ruger have Pachmayr grips. Yeah I got a mouse gun and it is a Diamondback.380 and it is for deep concealment backup only and replaces my Beretta 950. I could live with all your choices and be very content as long as I have my Hi-Power.

Regards

Ol' Sckool is a state of mind not an age.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Just voicing my opinions on a quiet Sunday night and NOT looking to offend. Interested to see how many on DC think like me.
    I think like you with a couple of exceptions: I've never acquired an affection for the 1911 and I do like the Beretta 92.
    Attached Images

Hey, if you go old school, dont forget the Red Rider BB gun!!!!
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    No tupperware for me.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love them all! I think I am one of the few that love Glocks and 1911's equally! I love the big boys though the 45 is awesome but gimme a 10 any day!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links