What the heck?

This is a discussion on What the heck? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by High Altitude Industry standard LE service pistol for the last oh 20-25 years. It is a 25yo design and in all this ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Industry standard LE service pistol for the last oh 20-25 years. It is a 25yo design and in all this time no one has been able to take that title away. Pretty impressive.

25 years later and not one manufacture has been able to design a semi auto pistol that is as light, simple, easy to manufacture, as few parts etc............... (and the glock pistol out right performs under all these design constraints)

Could you imagine if one of the top cars that the large majority of people where driving on the road today was a 25 year old design..............

Pretty amazing what Glock has accomplished.
    Volkswagen produced the Type I "Bug" for 45 years with essentially no design change and it was the largest selling car model of all time. During the late 60s and early 70s, they were the single most popular car on the road and it was a 30 to 40 year old design. Today, you rarely see one. Times changed and they didn't. The local Police in my area went from Beretta to Sig...none of them have carried Glock in the 13 years I've lived here.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I have a buddy that is a big time Glock fanatic...all the hype from him is the main reason I bought something else. Ironically, he goes on and on about how they are the "PERFECTION", best design, most reliable out of the box, etc. Then, I hear him talk about having a grip reduction, changing springs, extended mag release, trigger pull reduction connect, night sights, and on and on. I asked him if it were so perfect right out of the box, then why did he change it? I'm still wating on an answer and haven't received one. In the meantime, me and my bone stock XD are happy as can be. Perfect.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I love air cooled VWs, have owned several and did a complete pan off restoration of one, but I don't think there was ever a time when over 70% of the cars being driven where VWs.

Glock has over 70% of the LE market and has for decades. That is absolutely amazing.

I have no doubt that eventually things will change (you can't stay on top forever), S&W is doing their best and practically giving away their M&Ps to get contracts (no different than glock did), but we aren't there yet and who knows how long it will take.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Volkswagen produced the Type I "Bug" for 45 years with essentially no design change and it was the largest selling car model of all time. During the late 60s and early 70s, they were the single most popular car on the road and it was a 30 to 40 year old design. Today, you rarely see one. Times changed and they didn't. The local Police in my area went from Beretta to Sig...none of them have carried Glock in the 13 years I've lived here.

Good old S&W attempted to "copy" the Glock with the Sigma, to the point that Glock sued S&W over it. I guess that is some form of assurance that they are great guns If I disassemble my SW40VE next to a G17 the lowers and mechanisms look very similar.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Gaston Glock designed the gun to meet requirements for a military procurement. He started with a clean piece of paper and a solid manufacturing background. He apparently wasn't a "gun guy", just set out to design what he thought would be the best possible candidate for the military procurement at the lowest cost. The design that resulted was, for it's time, new, original, optimized for close combat, designed to meet stringent reliability requirements, and about half as expensive to produce as the competition and he did it very quickly - a few months. No two ways about it, that's brilliant design.

That was about two decades ago. In the 20 years since the competition has tried to make a better pistol, and some may have succeeded in one way or the other, but nobody has really equaled the total package of reliability, longevity, ease of maintainance, combat/SD/HD accuracy, price and availability.

Some folks don't like them. No problem. Pick your pony, take your ride. There are lots of ponies to choose from.

Some folks ask, well, if they are so good, why are there so many aftermarket parts? So many compared to what? The 1911, often said to be the best pistol design ever, which has more custom parts on the market for it than about any other gun on the planet?

There are after market parts for Glocks because there are so many Glocks out there and some percentage of Glock owners like to customize them. Mine are pretty much box stock. My G19 has tritium fiberoptic sights, a rubber grip sleeve, and a rail light (because it's the dedicated HD gun in the bedside safe). My G26 has the Pierce +0 grip extension to provide some pinkie finger grip. I have a DPMS guide rod/recoil spring for it, but right now the stock rod/recoil spring is what is in it.

There are lots of guns to choose from. For me, and a few million others, the Glock represents the best combination of characteristics I'm looking for in a pistol to bet my life on. I'd buy it if it cost as much as a SIG, but I really like the fact that it costs a bit more than half as much.

Fitch
    joker1 likes this.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Candidly, some of the "this one's better than that one" threads get a little tiring. If you bought it, you like it, it shoots well for you, and it does what you need it to do .... what does it really compare to? Nothing. Any gun stands alone.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You know, I don't think I ever bought a pistol that I didn't like [wait, I did buy a Taurus (Beretta 92 style) back in the 80s that I couldn't wait to get rid of, but maybe it was just a lemon]. I normally do a lot of homework before purchase and have a little bit of a quality standard, so I suppose that might help. Of course, some I like more than others and some I prefer for carry, but each tends to be unique in some way. The guns I've sold I usually wish I had back....
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links