Sig 1911....

Sig 1911....

This is a discussion on Sig 1911.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had any experience with a Sig 1911. I was kind of thinking of looking at the Revolution Carry, but any feedback would be ...

Thread: Sig 1911....

Sig 1911....

Has anyone had any experience with a Sig 1911. I was kind of thinking of looking at the Revolution Carry, but any feedback would be nice.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There have been several previous threads on this you could search for, but I will recap.

My g/f has a 2nd Gen GSR 5" stainless. It has been an incredibly accurate shooter and she uses it regularly for IDPA/USPSA. Unfortunately, it needed extractor work; the hammer pivot pin hole was off-center, so we replaced the hammer; the thumb safety they use has a very thin backing plate up against the frame, and hers actually failed by beginning to slip under the slide, leaving the gun inoperable; and the Series 80 firing pin block came loose and fell out, dinging the frame and locking up the gun entirely.

I like SIGs, a lot, and my g/f is a 1911 snob. The SIG shoots great, but I just can not, in retrospect, consider it reliable enough for a defensive gun. I know there are people whose GSRs have been flawless, but I just wouldn't take that risk with the number of 1911s to choose from out there.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    There have been several previous threads on this you could search for, but I will recap.

My g/f has a 2nd Gen GSR 5" stainless. It has been an incredibly accurate shooter and she uses it regularly for IDPA/USPSA. Unfortunately, it needed extractor work; the hammer pivot pin hole was off-center, so we replaced the hammer; the thumb safety they use has a very thin backing plate up against the frame, and hers actually failed by beginning to slip under the slide, leaving the gun inoperable; and the Series 80 firing pin block came loose and fell out, dinging the frame and locking up the gun entirely.

I like SIGs, a lot, and my g/f is a 1911 snob. The SIG shoots great, but I just can not, in retrospect, consider it reliable enough for a defensive gun. I know there are people whose GSRs have been flawless, but I just wouldn't take that risk with the number of 1911s to choose from out there.

Well, I thought Sig could not make a gun that would have issues. I know what the problem is, it is that dated and obsolete 1911 design. And, they didn't make it an inch and half thick, you know....give it that Hi-Point effect that is common to Sig's.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Well, I thought Sig could not make a gun that would have issues. I know what the problem is, it is that dated and obsolete 1911 design.
    Actually the problem is two-fold: internally, the geometry is not quite 1911 spec, which explains some of the numerous feed and extraction issues the various incarnations of GSR have had; then by the time they finally seemed to have their design sorted out, they changed to some lower quality internals than had been the case for the first two generations of build, lowering the overall reliability.

Not sure what you mean by a 'Hi-Point' effect. I find no similarities between Hi-Point and anything in my well-used stable of SIG classics...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I just do not appreciate the "thick" slides on the Sig's and I also am not a fan of DA/SA, so those two combine to mean no Sig's for me.

With that said, I am glad you enjoy yours.

Administrator
    These days SIG is making all of their 1911 frames and slides "in house" whereas early on they were not.
    That is when the "fit" & quality (overall) really improved.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I know Sig had reliability problems with their early model 1911's. My understanding is that has been taken care of. I had a commander size 1911 RCS and had no trouble with it at all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I really like the looks of the Revolution Carry and I will probably give one a try some time this year.

Sponsored Links